highway Patrol Turnpike

Status
Not open for further replies.

npier83

Got a question I am trying to listen to the highway patrol on the turnpike while driving. After I get about 15 miles away from Toledo I don't hear anything anymore. While in my home in the Toledo area with the stock antenna I can hear things as far as Cleveland area when they make traffic stops. In my car I have a small 800 MHz mobile antenna SpectrumForce Mini Window Antenna UHF/800 with BNC. On my scanner I have the Ohios Marcs programmed in. Just wondering if someone could point me in the right direction on how to listen all the way across the turnpike while driving. I have the uniden bdc536hp.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
You would need to monitor each site along the route. Apparently you are hearing more on the Toledo site, but as you move away from it you are loosing reception. This is the advantage of the GPS feature available on some Uniden scanners. (I don't know if GPS is available on the 536).

Since it is a location based scanner maybe you can change zip codes as you travel.

They will be on the P25 IP system by April, which is easier to monitor.

jackj

My PSR-800 will let me program in the towers along my route and will switch from tower to tower as the signal fades. Almost as good as GPS control.

npier83

For some reason the radioreference link is not working for Ohio State Patrol but it had a mad. Now do I program each patrol post into the scanner?

SCPD

QRT
Are you using Sentinel to program? Just create a favorites list with only the TP talkgroups.

npier83

Yeah I am using sentinel, I just did a fav with Highway Patrol like I said after 20 miles away from Toledo I hear nothing, no car to car repeater nothing. Do I have to do individual counties going across the TP?

phask

Premium Subscriber
You need to determine which sites are along the pike first.

I'd do a add on range or whatever they call it, Delete all the systems it creates except turnpike, then delete all the unneeded sites.

Problem is from 1 end to the other you might have 20 or more sites and scanning all those sites will be slow.

You could set up several favorites with 3 or 4 sites, assign to quick keys and toggle on and off.

Or use a GPS :)

Here and OSP District 10 - Ohio MARCS - Multi-Agency Radio Communications Trunking System, Statewide, Ohio - Scanner Frequencies
I'm not sure if that shows all though as I do not do the pike.

SCPD

QRT
I remember somewhere where it showed what sites were needed for the TP - it may be here in a post. Search for "turnpike"

It was much simpler when they were on 155.79 and had an east site and a west site! :)

npier83

Ok, so I broke down and bought the GPS, if I just leave it on my favorite Turnpike, adjust the range to say 10 miles it will only scan the turnpike troopers in that radius then? Im just confused about the other way to do it.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Ok, so I broke down and bought the GPS, if I just leave it on my favorite Turnpike, adjust the range to say 10 miles it will only scan the turnpike troopers in that radius then? Im just confused about the other way to do it.

Well you still have to avoid those other TGs that are associated with MARCS, which means "programming" them out. Just as much work either way.

npier83

Ok so in my fav folder I have it called Turnpike HP and in the folder I have Ohio marcs : Multi Agency Radio

Then in the Marcs folder I have Dist 10 for the turnpike and then I have East Palestine ,Salem,Warren ,Shalersville ,Richfield , Strongsville ---and so on that what was on the link....am I doing it right? sorry im new should have bought something so complicated I guess

phask

Premium Subscriber
Ok so in my fav folder I have it called Turnpike HP and in the folder I have Ohio marcs : Multi Agency Radio

Then in the Marcs folder I have Dist 10 for the turnpike and then I have East Palestine ,Salem,Warren ,Shalersville ,Richfield , Strongsville ---and so on that what was on the link....am I doing it right? sorry im new should have bought something so complicated I guess

Drop me a PM with an email address and I'll send you an example.

For your range setting - ZERO - 1st the gps will set it to zero, and the range is like an overlapping circle. Without looking most sites are set for a range of 25 - 30. Than means if you are in the "circle" it will load., you might want to tweak those range entries once you setup your favorite.

example - the VHF stuff has some range like 250 - that way it would load the entire length, downside it loads anywhere in the state.

Status
Not open for further replies.