XMit on WX Freqs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sefrischling

Public Information Officer
Anyone heard of anyone transmitting on NOAA WX channels? I just heard two people having a very brief conversation on WX Channel 3 (162.475). Sounded very low power.

I have never heard anyone xmit on the WX channels before ... have you?

kb9jxq

what radio did you hear this on? possible intermod or harmonic. Also I read something years ago about certain CBs with weather channels cross modulating on wx channels.

sefrischling

what radio did you hear this on? possible intermod or harmonic.

I initially heard it on my Yaesu FTA-550 (airband) and then flipped my Motorola Saber III to the WX channel and heard it on both radios. It sounded really low power.

ScannerSK

What were they talking about? Anything weather related? Did you hear both sides of the conversation?

I have received radio transmissions from our local electric company in the weather band when they are in the neighborhood. The radios transmit on 158.130 MHz however they bleed over many frequencies when they are nearby (within an 1/8th of a mile or so).

Shawn

I have also heard exactly what the OP is saying, very brief transmitting, low power, it was defiantly some one having a conversation with someone else, hard to make out voices in the middle of the weather report however.same freq, but in a different state then the OP

ecps92

IMAGE ??

Caught similar thought to be Federal transmissions from 152 in the 164 Band from New London

Anyone heard of anyone transmitting on NOAA WX channels? I just heard two people having a very brief conversation on WX Channel 3 (162.475). Sounded very low power.

I have never heard anyone xmit on the WX channels before ... have you?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I have also heard exactly what the OP is saying, very brief transmitting, low power, it was defiantly some one having a conversation with someone else, hard to make out voices in the middle of the weather report however.same freq, but in a different state then the OP

Could -could- be that the WX transmitter is fed via land line circuit from the phone company. Crosstalk between other pairs on the cable can cause stuff like this.

However, most WX transmitters in my area are fed by a UHF radio link.

sefrischling

The conversation sounded like two hikers in the local state park. The brief conversation I caught was them trying to link up from the white trail to the red trail. One person seemed to know where they were, the other appeared to be unsure where they were.

They didn't have enough power to bleed over the NOAA transmission, I heard them along with the NOAA transmission, they were stepping on each other. This is why I think they were on 162.475 with portables, I can use a 4-watt portable to talk to someone in the state park from my house, but it is very weak from here. I have heard my kids using their radios on MURS at the park while I am at my desk ... then again my kids walk about using Motorola Sabers as their walkie-talkies.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Sounds like that is your answer. Some mope programmed the wrong frequencies into their radios. One of the issues with people programming radios with little or no knowledge of what they are doing.

mirayge

Decatur, IL but my heart is from Bugtussle
I have the weather frequency as my B channel on a Baofeng uv-b6. However, I have busy channel lockout turned on. With an ongoing broadcast there is no chance of transmitting. If someone were to not enable that feature, or transmit on a channel not used in their area, I can see this happening.

SCPD

QRT
cb

Maybe it was bleedover of something nearby overloading your scanner,,so you heard it as such.
Why would anyone want to do that,they'd have to listen to weather all day?

mirayge

Decatur, IL but my heart is from Bugtussle
I can think of reasons why somebody might WANT to, but shouldn't. For example, distribute weather radios set to the wrong channel throughout your facility or neighborhood. Place them on weather alert standby. Then someone on patrol could use a tone generator through their two way to call out the troops. Description of perpetrators or imminent danger over every weather radio that you supplied. Other people with the correct weather frequency shouldn't be bothered.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hard to believe people could have a conversation on a channel with a 300-1000 watt WX broadcast simultaneously transmitting on it. Even with coded squelch.

I wouldn't condone it, but you might be surprised how many low lying locations through out the u.s. can't reliably receive a NOAA broadcast regardless of transmitter power...

While I've never heard this on NOAA, I have heard people do this on 156.800 (marine ch.16) and even with a dpl.

Nothing surprises me anymore.

n9zas

Spankymedic7

Or, it could be some folks with radios that are user-programmable, just being malicious. I would imagine that anyone who knows how to program radios would know something about WX frequencies.

Just a thought.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
People today lack the discipline to get properly licensed or stay within the confines of FRS, MURS. They often feel they can do anything they want. But often don't know that people are able to hear them.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
or just ignorant and/or dismissive of the rules. With the wide availability of wideband user programmable radios, we will hear more and more of this in the future.

This is why only people who know what they are doing should be programming radios that transmit outside consumer (part 15) services.

surfacemount

Knox / Roane / Loudon counties, Tennessee
I don't clearly remember seeing it, but it is possible someone put wx channels in a programmable portable, then didn't TX Inhibit them. The people grabbed the radios, and started using them. Or maybe had it on scan, and thought the radio would revert to talking channel.
(shrugs)

Status
Not open for further replies.