Site Towers for MARCS-IP

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeepers128

Do I need all of my Sites loaded in the scanner for Licking County? If I do anyway to speed up the scanning process?

phask

Premium Subscriber
Yes, no and maybe.

If you can actually receive all the sites, and need them - load all.

I'd probably load 1 or 2 and stick with that .

No idea wjat scanner, but if it's a newer Uniden - no way to speed up. Allow at least 2 seconds for each site scanned. YMMV.

Hey - it will get better when we don't have to scan Marcs and MarcIP.

Do I need all of my Sites loaded in the scanner for Licking County? If I do anyway to speed up the scanning process?

jeepers128

Thanks. I have the BCD436HP. I just didn't know if a unit went to another tower if, I had to be in that towers range to get the transmission. Still learning how Marcs and Marcs-IP work.

phask

Premium Subscriber
I'm in Muskingum - it has 4 sites scattered through out. I can receive 3 of the 4 easily. Most of the traffic I get via the one closest to the center of the county. I do get some via Dresden or Philo that is not on the Zanesville one.

I run 2-4 scanners at any one time - various mix of sites, and still can't get everything.

traumacop

Premium Subscriber
All sites in Licking Co carry the same traffic so you only need to listen to one site.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

jeepers128

That's what I was thinking. I have a Marcs IP radio but it chooses the closest tower and gives me little information about the tower it chooses.

phask

Premium Subscriber
No it does not choose the closest. If you are scanning the entire DB (using zipcode etc.) it may load 4-10 or more sites, probably any within 25 miles plus whatever range you have set.

If are using a favorite list - it's whatever sites you have loaded - but it has no way to know the "closest".

I also doubt that the same traffic is carried on all sites - It just does not work like that unless it's simulcast, and it's not. It may seem like it, but I guarantee it's not.

You can check and see which site one it's receiving, but I do not know the key strokes to do it. I do not think you can get it to show on the display all the time, but unsure.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
All sites in Licking Co carry the same traffic so you only need to listen to one site.

That's not necessarily true. If there are units affiliated to a talkgroup at all towers, then yes, you will hear that traffic on all of them. But if units are affiliated to XSO45DISP (for example) only at Newark and Pataskala, then you'll only hear that talkgroup at those sites, not the other sites.

traumacop

Premium Subscriber
That's not necessarily true. If there are units affiliated to a talkgroup at all towers, then yes, you will hear that traffic on all of them. But if units are affiliated to XSO45DISP (for example) only at Newark and Pataskala, then you'll only hear that talkgroup at those sites, not the other sites.

I know typically the site has to have a unit affiliated with the tg to bring up that tg, but I'm sure I recall something in an email that explained it as bringing up all sites in Licking Co with the tg. I can remember thinking why would they do that, it would only help people with scanners. I will test it out my next duty day.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

jeepers128

Not sure if this is why this happened to day but, I used my radio on Marcs and talked to another unit today that was on Frampton rd. I then looked at my radio to view its list of radio towers and a Dresden tower showed up as well as Newark, and other licking county towers.

Status
Not open for further replies.