Grove City (Franklin Co) Back-up Channel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Friday evening Grove City PD switched to their backup channel. I monitored their system in search and heard no normal traffic. I did hear their TAC 3 traffic at the football game and dispatch spoke to them a couple times, but otherwise there was no radio traffic at all on dispatch or any other TG.

Their new-to-be P25 Discovery site has been down for a couple days, no traffic there.

Anyone have any idea what they might use for a backup. I have monitored them for over a dozen years and have never heard this.

I know they use the Franklin County System EFG channels for fire backup, but have never heard any PD.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
.....they fixed the old system problem. Radio Tech was testing on FD TRAIN 1. Still unknown what they use as backup. They should be on P25 by the first of the year anyhow. Their old system is falling apart.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Their system went down Saturday and it is still down. I have not located the PD backup channel.

Anyone know what's up with the Discovery site. Maybe a new frequency that is not in the DB.

(I must be the only person who listens to Grove City I guess).

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Their system went down Saturday and it is still down. I have not located the PD backup channel.

Anyone know what's up with the Discovery site. Maybe a new frequency that is not in the DB.

(I must be the only person who listens to Grove City I guess).

Discovery is shut down right now while service techs check to make sure it's not causing problems for the existing GC system. Unlikely, but they're grasping at straws.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Discovery is shut down right now while service techs check to make sure it's not causing problems for the existing GC system. Unlikely, but they're grasping at straws.

Thanks for the reply. I figured it was something like that.

I noticed 856.2375 shows up on PRO96COM on discovery, but it is still used for voice on the GC system.

I just spoke to a GCPD officer, they can't wait for the new system. He said their radios are terrible.

N8DLA

I wondered the same thing myself about what was happening over the weekend with GC. This morning's traffic was terrible and I noticed the GC system eerily quiet and then while monitoring Columbus found our medics and engines on E FG (East Fireground?) and then figured something was wrong.

I am a resident of GC and long time listener of our public safety system (15yrs). Interesting to hear they are finally going P25 soon, I didn't know that. Time to read up on this.

Thank goodness I talked the wife into a BCD396XT to replace my trusty Pro 94 when Columbus re-banded. She loves to listen to the scanner, but hates my ham radios--go figure. I knew at some point GC would go P25 or some digital solution.

I appreciate being able to come here to RR to quickly find out the current situation. Thank you gents.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Grove City PD and Jackson and Pleasant Township Fire Departments are planned to be on the new Franklin County Tier 4 MARCS-IP P-25 system the first of the year. There was a new site installed on the water tower on Discovery Dr. (across from the YMCA) which just recently came online.

Their old system built in 1992 is plain worn out. The E FG is "Emergency Fireground", not East Fireground. It was a bunch of talkgroups originally destined for mutual aid fire use although it never got any use except as a backup.

Here is a good article on the upgrade - City will join with county for new radio system

Last edited:

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Right now it is just Grove City and Franklin County. Grove City is supposed to be on the first of the year.

I don't know what Columbus is doing. Looking at the FC Tier 4 site map there aren't many towers covering the city. Maybe they will jump on late, as usual. Last I heard the were building a new central communications center on Groves Rd.

OSU is now on MARCS-IP as well. The old MARCS system is supposed to be shut down in March 2015.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Thanks for the reply. I figured it was something like that.

I noticed 856.2375 shows up on PRO96COM on discovery, but it is still used for voice on the GC system.

It might be at the moment due to the problems, but when the new site is up it's the only available voice channel and is disabled on the old system.

I just spoke to a GCPD officer, they can't wait for the new system. He said their radios are terrible.

Funny, I keep hearing that, too. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.