• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Combining Tk-7180 and Tk-8180

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colton25

Has anyone heard of a way to interface these two radios into one, much like the Tk-790 and Tk-890? Or has anyone attempted to somehow rig these radios together in your own way?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Right, if you want to stack RF decks and have a single control head running both of them, you need the TK-x90 series (analog only), the TK-5x10 series (analog/P25), or wait a few months and get the NX-5000 series mobiles (analog/P25/NXDN)

The NX-5000 series mobiles will allow you to stack up to 3 RF decks and have one or two control heads. The other models will do combinations of one or two control heads with one or two RF decks.

I've got an NX-700 (VHF) and an NX-900 (800MHz) in my work truck. While a single head would be nice, I actually prefer having two separate control heads. Let's me listen on both systems at the same time, and not miss anything.

Colton25

So when will these new radios be out? Do you have any more details on it? Confirming it will be dual band capable? Since I've been involved with kenwood I haven't seen anything new come out.

Right, if you want to stack RF decks and have a single control head running both of them, you need the TK-x90 series (analog only), the TK-5x10 series (analog/P25), or wait a few months and get the NX-5000 series mobiles (analog/P25/NXDN)

The NX-5000 series mobiles will allow you to stack up to 3 RF decks and have one or two control heads. The other models will do combinations of one or two control heads with one or two RF decks.

I've got an NX-700 (VHF) and an NX-900 (800MHz) in my work truck. While a single head would be nice, I actually prefer having two separate control heads. Let's me listen on both systems at the same time, and not miss anything.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø

Colton25

Do you foresee anything coming out relating to the 7180 or 8180 when these come out?

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Do you foresee anything coming out relating to the 7180 or 8180 when these come out?

Although I have no inside info, I do seriously doubt they will.

Why write firmware for the x180 series when they can get you to buy the NX-5x00 series?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
The TK-x180 line will continue to be supported. As an analog only radio, it's got it's place in the market. Firmware updates will likely continue, but don't expect much else.

The dual head system was released in the last year. Talking to those I know suggested that going from a dual head set up wasn't that far from doing a dual RF deck, but I'm not sure there is a market for it. While Analog only radios have their place, Kenwood is still supporting the TK-x90 line and will for quite a while to come. It'll do dual RF deck configurations, so it fills that hole in the market.

If you -really- need to have a single head/dual band mobile and it isn't for amateur use, you'll likely want to upgrade to a different radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.