UTF-8 / UTF-16 Encoding Support

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scan125

I guess is a long shot request but is it possible for the RR Database WDSL to use UTF-8 (or UTF-16) charset?

MS Visual Studio (latest editions), in support of the recommended XML coding for web services / WDSL only support UTF, an thus all international languages.

The current us of ISO-8859-1 (latin1) is not compatible with the inbuilt web services coding tools available to developers.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
This is the first that I've heard of this from any developer, so I'm going to be cautious about rolling out a "fix" until I can be assured that we don't break any of the existing apps out there today.

I will have a look at this...

Scan125

Thanks Lindsay.

I'm sure you can readily find on the web various articles concerning the UTF-8 restriction in WCF.

It would be great if you can switch encoding to UTF-8 without breaking any other services and applications but I will understand if you can't. You have commercial program products using your service so they are clearly your major concern.

If encoding change is going to be an issue then maybe you could run an alternative service/URL using UTF-8 which itself uses a common back end. This way, although a major pain at your end, may prove to be future proofing step allowing both legacy application support and easier development for future full national language support applications.

Nick

Last edited:

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
The web service is already versioned so we'll roll a new version out that will allow you to explicitly specify that you want UTF-8 encoding returned (it basically comes down to the initial XML header that is sent)

Scan125

Being new to RR, especially regarding database version release, is there a typical timeframe for delivering new releases? I only ask as I'm hoping I'll have enough time when the new release is available to code my end before my 180 day premium membership expires.

Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.