national guard at the port authority bus terminal

Status
Not open for further replies.

rufus-7

hi everyone. i was at the bus terminal on 42nd st and 8th ave. while inside i saw national guard soldiers standing around. i also noticed they had portable radios on them but could not make out what brand or model. my question is does anyone know what radios they're using and what system or frequencies they're operating on? thanks in advance

Analogrules

I asked a very similar question on an earlier thread, except I've seen them stationed at the WTC Path station too. A guess would be they are using one of the talkgroups (or maybe an unidentified one) on the PATH EDACS system so they can communicate directly with PD. I am unaware of any National Guard repeaters located in NYC. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I would suggest monitoring the PATH EDACS system for any new talkgroups or bring your radio and set it to Close Call next time you're waiting for a bus. I haven't even confirmed what the police inside the Port Authority terminal are currently using OR at Penn Station. With all these interop radios being issued now under homeland security funding, I am sure there are new frequencies/talkgroups that are now active, but just not listed in the RR db yet.

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
hi everyone. i was at the bus terminal on 42nd st and 8th ave. while inside i saw national guard soldiers standing around. i also noticed they had portable radios on them but could not make out what brand or model. my question is does anyone know what radios they're using and what system or frequencies they're operating on? thanks in advance

Where you able to catch the length of the antenna?

I once saw NY National Guard at GTC with a Saber that might of been a 68-88 MHZ model. This was a while ago though.

KF6DGN

It may be military intra squad you might want to try these:

Intra-Squad Radios (ISR)
For Federal/Military Users, small 0.5W FM radios.

Frequency License Type Tone Alpha Tag Description Mode Tag
396.87500 M ISR 01 ISR Channel 1 FM Military
397.12500 M ISR 02 ISR Channel 2 FM Military
397.17500 M ISR 03 ISR Channel 3 FM Military
397.37500 M ISR 04 ISR Channel 4 FM Military
397.42500 M ISR 05 ISR Channel 5 FM Military
397.47500 M ISR 06 ISR Channel 6 FM Military
397.55000 M ISR 07 ISR Channel 7 FM Military
397.95000 M ISR 08 ISR Channel 8 FM Military
398.05000 M ISR 09 ISR Channel 9 FM Military
399.42500 M ISR 10 ISR Channel 10 FM Military
399.47500 M ISR 11 ISR Channel 11 FM Military
399.72500 M ISR 12 ISR Channel 12 FM Military
399.92500 M ISR 13 ISR Channel 13 FM Military
399.97500 M ISR 14 ISR Channel 14 FM Military

mike4164

Premium Subscriber
They are using a military system. The NG has their own dispatcher that has direct contact with the MTA police,Amtrak police and NYPD SOD dispatchers. They have direct phone lines that all they have to do is pick up the phone and it rings to the dispatcher they need to speak with. Each agency has a separate phone at the NG disp. desk. The system can be made encrypted at the push of a button by the NG Disp. Where the NG Disp. is I am NOT at liberty to say,sorry guys. I know this to be fact from a close reliable source involved with the program.

Mike
Retired FDNY/EMS
Haz-Tac
Blooming Grove Twp. PA.
EMA Coordinator

riveter

Premium Subscriber
That would make the most sense, as I believe there would be a big oh-crap session if they were to be routinely granted access to civilian police nets- separation of military and police is a big deal, constitution-wise. Those common-access ISR nets are a good bet, or another set of nets for the NG- likely UHF in the same general band for urban areas, while they probably have some longer range SINCGARS contingency stuff set up on the Falcons and PRC-117s and such in their vehicles.

rufus-7

Thanks for the replies, I'm going to give those freqs a try to see if i get any activity. The antenna was very short as if it was in the 800mhz band.

ecps92

Don't be so sure to write off use of Municipal Frequencies.

There are plenty of Agencies that Regularly work with our Military Forces and those Mil Folks are regularly using Part 90 Frequencies of the Licensee

a further poster suggests the antennas looks 800 Mhz. Is NY EMA still on an 800 TRS ?

That would make the most sense, as I believe there would be a big oh-crap session if they were to be routinely granted access to civilian police nets- separation of military and police is a big deal, constitution-wise. Those common-access ISR nets are a good bet, or another set of nets for the NG- likely UHF in the same general band for urban areas, while they probably have some longer range SINCGARS contingency stuff set up on the Falcons and PRC-117s and such in their vehicles.

Analogrules

What is EMA? Yeah, I walked past the national guard guys yesterday at the WTC and one of them was actually talking into their radio at the time. It was too bad I didn't have my handheld with me set to close call.

ecps92

Sorry, forgot to put on my NY-Speak. :wink:

OEM aka EMA aka the former CD :D

What is EMA? Yeah, I walked past the national guard guys yesterday at the WTC and one of them was actually talking into their radio at the time. It was too bad I didn't have my handheld with me set to close call.

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
While this may be a post about Port Authority terminals the NG radios at least in GCT appear to be MRK's with speaker mics. In all the times I have been down there doing work in the Terminal I have never so much as heard a peep out of one of them. I guessing they could be Squad radios since the antennas look longer than usual 400 mhz and I doubt the PA trunked system would work indoors up there.
As far as frequencies they could use any NY state frequency since NG are State Employees, not Federal until Federalized by the Prez. There are quite a few 406-420 NY state frequencies, we used to use them during summer training at Camp Smith in Peekskill.

Qutoe"I'm just curious, is crime really that bad in NY that they station national guard troops at their bus stations."

Not to put you or anyone else down but, unfortunately that's the reaction from most people who don't live in the Tri-State area and didn't feel the after effects of 9/11 firsthand.

Last edited:

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
What needs to be found out first is what kind of radio each unit is using at a particular location. I doubt that at least at GCT the NG are on the DOITT or Metro-21. MRK radios cannot do Motorola Smart-Net for DOITT 800 or 470 nor P-25 trunking for the new P-25 Metro-21 which is right down the block on the Chrysler building. Next time I am at GCT I'll look for someone with Brass to ask, If they know.

Status
Not open for further replies.