• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

VX-354 Won't Let Me Select Wide ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
I have a UHF VX-354 that I use for work. I'm also a ham so I wanted to program a few local ham repeaters into the radio. No problem with that except that in the W/N column in CE86 it will not let me select anything other than N, which is what it puts in by itself. It's like somewhere in the software (or radio?) it has been set to only do narrow (?).

I can "kerchunk" the repeaters but if I talk it doesn't transmit...it only "kerchunks" or "trips" the repeater when I UNKEY (we've tested this with someone else using a 440 ham HT and listening...then he talked and it came across). I can only imagine it is because of the narrow setting.

Anyone have any idea why it is 'stuck' on only allowing me to select N in the W/N column? In CE86 if I go to Hardware under Common, everything is displayed but grayed out. It does, however, show next to Channel Step "5, 6.25kHz" (see attached screenshot).

Any help would be appreciated!

_

Attachments

• CE86_screenshot.png
    CE86_screenshot.png
    73 KB · Views: 632

wa2chj

Yes, you are correct. CE86 will only allow narrow.....since January of 2012. There are TWO work arounds for this.
1. There is software available for Europe that will do WIDE. There used to also be a patch program that would fix the wide/narrow problem for amateurs and others who still have wide authorization, but I don't believe it is still available.
2. When using CE86, set your computer date to prior to 01/01/2012. It will then allow wide programming, but anytime you use the CE86, you will have to set your computer to prior to 01/01/2012 or the program will happily reset any wide, non-amateur, channels to narrow.
Without resetting your computer date, it should allow wide programming in the amateur frequencies, but it won't on things like NOAA, Marine, etc. that are still wide.

wa2chj

Just to be clear. You have to set your COMPUTER date to 12/31/2011 or earlier. You can then click in the W/N column of the channel programming page and select (by multiple clicks) N, W4, or W5.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Yes, you are correct. CE86 will only allow narrow.....since January of 2012. There are TWO work arounds for this.
1. There is software available for Europe that will do WIDE. There used to also be a patch program that would fix the wide/narrow problem for amateurs and others who still have wide authorization, but I don't believe it is still available.
2. When using CE86, set your computer date to prior to 01/01/2012. It will then allow wide programming, but anytime you use the CE86, you will have to set your computer to prior to 01/01/2012 or the program will happily reset any wide, non-amateur, channels to narrow.
Without resetting your computer date, it should allow wide programming in the amateur frequencies, but it won't on things like NOAA, Marine, etc. that are still wide.

Just to be clear. You have to set your COMPUTER date to 12/31/2011 or earlier. You can then click in the W/N column of the channel programming page and select (by multiple clicks) N, W4, or W5.

OK, thank you! I will try this later today (well, tonight). I would have never thought of this on my own so I'm glad I posted this question...and greatly appreciate your reply! I'll post my results here.

If someone has the patch program they wouldn't mind sharing please let me know by posting here or via a PM. Otherwise I'll try to find the European software or do the date trick.

wa2chj

You're welcome. I used to have the patch, but the computer it was on died a horrible death. The computer date work around is actually the easiest. Hardest part is remembering to do it before you open any files, but after a couple of times of having to rebuild files, you'll tend to remember to do it.
I believe the European programming software is still available on the Vertex site, but I remember reading somewhere that it has other problems that can crop up. I may have that confused with another CE version, so I won't swear to it. Anyway, if you don't know, you can set up an account on the Vertex site, and all the software is then free to download...just FYI.
If you have any other problems please ask, I'll try to help you out....as will several others who are really good at programming Vertex equipment.
Scott

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
You're welcome. I used to have the patch, but the computer it was on died a horrible death. The computer date work around is actually the easiest. Hardest part is remembering to do it before you open any files, but after a couple of times of having to rebuild files, you'll tend to remember to do it.
I believe the European programming software is still available on the Vertex site, but I remember reading somewhere that it has other problems that can crop up. I may have that confused with another CE version, so I won't swear to it. Anyway, if you don't know, you can set up an account on the Vertex site, and all the software is then free to download...just FYI.
If you have any other problems please ask, I'll try to help you out....as will several others who are really good at programming Vertex equipment.
Scott

Thanks. I may need to setup a Vertex account as I do have a couple of Vertex radios.

On another note - do you know anyone who repairs Vertex radios? I have a VX-2200 (I think it is) mobile that the rx and tx is messed up on but don't want to spend an arm and a leg on it if I don't have to. I'd like to get it fixed since it's currently residing in its box in a closet. Feel free to PM me if you think that would be more appropriate in this case.

EDIT: If I go to vertexstandard.com I'm not seeing where to setup the account...which I assume means I'm looking in the wrong place but anyway...help! :)

wa2chj

Unfortunately, no, I don't know of anyone who repairs Vertex except maybe TRN Communications. Search for that name. Almost all of the radios I've been responsible for have only died after they have gone obsolete and were going to be replaced anyway. That says a lot about Vertex now that I actually think about it especially when you consider they were all EMS/Rescue/Fire radios that tend to get beaten up pretty badly.
The Vertex website is: "https colon backslash backslash businessonline dot vertexstandard dot com/Login dot aspx"
I hope that doesn't violate any of the rules since it's not a hot link.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
UPDATE:

I got off work early today so I decided to give this a shot. The date option - changing the date to prior to 01-01-2012 - fixed this issue.

Thank you for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.