Homepatrol-2 (New Released Scanner)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DSC45

Premium Subscriber
I was looking at Uniden's announcement for the Homepatrol-2, updated to receive Apco (P25) Phase ll and also incorporates a different charging system.

What concerns me only because I have the original Homepatrol that I leave plugged into 110ac 24/7. It seems Uniden has done away with the wall charger to power the unit, and instead requires an additional USB charger like the BCD436HP.

My question is "can the new Homepatrol-2 be powered 24/7 on ac thru the USB charger?" and also, "Is the Homepatrol-2 now classified as a portable, like the 436HP?"

Thank you.

Last edited:

phask

Premium Subscriber
Answer to your 2 question - yes and no.

Only power difference is using a USB "wart" now, and batteries and size same as -1.

I was looking at Uniden's announcement for the Homepatrol-2, updated to receive Apco (P25) Phase ll and also incorporates a different charging system.

What concerns me only because I have the original Homepatrol that I leave plugged into 110ac 24/7. It seems Uniden has done away with the wall charger to power the unit, and instead requires an additional USB charger like the BCD436HP.

My question is "can the new Homepatrol-2 be powered 24/7 on ac thru the USB charger?" and also, "Is the Homepatrol-2 now classified as a portable, like the 436HP?"

Thank you.

SCPD

QRT
Wonder if the Home Patrol does anything more than Phase 2 ?
Any new toys? Would have been nice if they included the Extreme with this one....

DSC45

Premium Subscriber

Thank you.

UP Man Can you answer these questions?

ButchGone

Hmmm.

So, maybe I'm reading into this more than I should, but this line in the new HP-2 features list caught my attention:
" TrunkTracker V technology that supports APCO Project 25 Phase I and II, Motorola Analog and Mixed-Mode, X2-TDMA, EDACS, LTR and conventional analog and digital scanning."
The part about "and digital scanning" makes me wonder if other digital modes will be supported in the future. P25 phase 1/2 is specifically mentioned, but "digital" is rather broad.
Radios are coming onto the market that support multiple digital personalities. DMR, D-Star, C4FM are all open protocols, and the ability to monitor these would definitely add value to any scanner.
We'll see.
BG..

richee2000

Communications Professional
Sea Bright NJ, Livingston NJ, Basking Ridge NJ
MOTOTRBO decoding would have been nice....Why cant we get a scanner that decodes ALL types of communications?? (except ENC. , of coruse). I am waiting to see if the HP2 has better sensitivity on VHF and UHF , as well as better decode of Phase II audio performance than the 536..before I make a purchase... any thoughts on this ?

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Gentlemen, please keep this thread on topic. If you want to express your displeasure with previous scanners, please do so in one of the many threads in the Tavern. Thanks.

pepsima1

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Who would want a scanner for home use that only runs on batteries or you have to plug your USB cable into your computer to make it run. What a joke. Just give us the A/C power cord that should be incorporated with the radio. When you are at home you would like it plugged in all the time and not use the batteries.

It's just a sign that Uniden is not building scanners for the better. They are getting built with cheaper plastics and taking the A/C power equation out of the package. Also, when you get these scanners they come with cheap Chinese made rechargeable batteries too while you spend 500 bucks for the radio. Then to make the radio last longer you need to go out and buy a commerical grade charger and batteries for the damn unit too.

Design flaw right after another and another.

prplehz

You can get a plug that plugs in your outlet. It has 3 normal ac outputs as well as 2 USB built right in. Just plug it into that. It's the same difference as a power supply... Just saying..

DSC45

Premium Subscriber
I was under the impression that you can't leave a USB Charger plugged into an outlet for an extended time.

Last edited:

phask

Premium Subscriber
Why don't you quit beating the same dead horse? It's been explained numerous times why CA will not allow it. Subject is done IMHO. Your post is really approaching troll status.

Who would want a scaner for home use that only runs on batteries or you have to plug your USB cable into your computer to make it run. What a joke. Just give us the A/C power cord that should be incorporated with the radio. When you are at home you would like it plugged in all the time and not use the batteries.

It's just a sign that Uniden is not building scanners for the better. They are getting built with cheaper plastics and taking the A/C power equation out of the package. Also, when you get these scanners they come with cheap Chinese made rechargeable batteries too while you spend 500 bucks for the radio. Then to make the radio last longer you need to go out and buy a commerical grade charger and batteries for the damn unit too.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Who would want a scanner for home use that only runs on batteries or you have to plug your USB cable into your computer to make it run. What a joke. Just give us the A/C power cord that should be incorporated with the radio. When you are at home you would like it plugged in all the time and not use the batteries.

Not a design flaw...for about the 5th time here is why Uniden has changed the way their scanners operate:

The HP-2 is more or less a base radio, more so than being a portable. Just like the 436HP, the HP-2 doesn't come with a power supply! Only a USB cable. Are you kidding me!?

I answered this for you once before but let's try this again:

Please explain the "regulatory reasons" for not including a $5.00 power adapter. I can but a $20 BT headset and it comes with a charger, I can buy a $20 Evod vape kit for $30 and it comes with charger and cord.

Blame California.
The BC346XTC was the first Uniden scanner to have to abide by California Energy Commission rules put into place:
BC346XTC Wiki Page Info:

The BC346XTC is functionally the same as the BC346XT with the following exceptions:
In order to comply with California Energy Commission rules, the battery charging function has been removed.
Rechargeable batteries are not included with the product.
The battery charge time option has been deleted.
The battery select switch has been removed from the battery compartment.

Want the actual California Energy Commission website with all of the new rules?
Here ya go:
Battery Chargers Rulemaking for Appliance Efficiency Rulemaking - California Energy Commission

Sounds like Uniden has strategically done this to avoid warranty claims.

See, that's what happens when you ASSume the worst about a company. You end up looking foolish when proven otherwise.

The 436HP is the first product EVER I bought that charged via USB and didn't contain the necessary charger.

Again see above to find out the reason why :)
Marshall KE4ZNR

crash_iam

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Does this mean that the new hp-2 will pick up Genesee County ny? Because $500.00
for the last piece of poop wont.

SCPD

QRT
USB

I was under the impression that you can't leave a USB Charger plugged into an outlet for an extended time.

I leave my USb charger plugged in 24/7 365.For Uniden HomePatrol ,Hp436 and the GRE 800 no issue

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Does the Hp2 do Yaesu System Fusion,DMR or Dstar decode,I read one website it does ..... Upman?

It would appear that none of the above are able to be received with the HP-2.
Marshall KE4ZNR

Status
Not open for further replies.