uniden 996xt scanner no receive

Status
Not open for further replies.

WINNSBORO1

My scanner had been off for about a week. I turned it back on and now I have no receive although I can hear FM broadcast and the weather station as a test but not too strong. I am trying to listen to the Palmetto 800 system and I have it programmed as a type 2/P25 system since it does have digital on it.
Any help or suggestions? Or does anyone know someone who works on these scanners that would be cheaper than Uniden's $79.00 service rate.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
You've done the weather test, which is the first thing I would have suggested. Does the weather seem to come in as strong as before?

If it is as strong, then there may be a programming issue. You could try re-programming or attempt to listen to another system that may be in the scanner.

There's always the possibility that the system you listen to may have made some changes during that week.

If it isn't, then you may have antenna issues - loose or bad connection. Hopefully it is not an internal antenna connection requiring repair.

The last thing that comes to mind is perhaps there is something new around your scanner (new TV, computer, etc.) that is puttting out a small amount of radio frequency energy that might be desensitizing your scanner. If you could take the scanner to another place and try listening, that may answer the potential interference problem.

copperhd

Premium Subscriber
If you are picking up FM & WX but both are weak I would look at the antenna connections first. If that doesn't help; maybe the speaker connection. Check all coax, switches, & fittings first. My scanner (996xt) will pick up WX without an antenna albeit weak.

Status
Not open for further replies.