Analyze Mode

Do you know what Analyze Mode is/does (is supposed to do)?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
In talking with another forum user today I made a statement which has got me thinking, and I'm curious enough that I want your responses.

The poll is generally directed at those people who keep bringing up how Analyze is missing from the x36 line, but please, all feel free to chime in.

The question is:

Do you know what Analyze Mode is/does (is supposed to do)?

I've seen some posts lately that make some interesting statements, like how the PSR-500 has "analyze mode". No, it doesn't - displaying the WACN/SID, NAC, and signal strength is not the same as what Analyze does.

Anyway, fire away, and please, keep it civil.

PS. If you do know what it is and/or use it, I'd like to know what feature you use most often, and which least often. I'll contribute my answer to that particular question once the poll gets populated a little.

W6KRU

Since the PSR-500 was the first scanner to have an analyze mode and I have used it, I think I know what analyze does. what do you think it does?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
This is a flawed/biased poll. You ask a yes/no question, then offer only "yes" options that presume Analyze is a function important to the respondent. It should have at least one option to indicate the respondent knows what it is, but wouldn't find it useful, or does not attach a high level of importance to the fact it's currently unavailable.

KE5TLF

I have an HP1 and never use Analyze Mode on it, because it is little more than a toy, compared to Pro96Com, UT, T88....

(flawed poll is flawed..)
(which I guess is kinda appropriate for the topic..)

henrygb

The function of analyzing the x36 series, not even documented in the manual, so it is a mystery, but hinted that Uniden is the same as the extreme upgrade of HP1 series.

HomePatrolExtreme < HomePatrol < TWiki

Viewing these images, no one can explain how it could be on the screen of the x36 series, however Uniden offered it when promoting the x36 series, but if uniden offered it, all assumed they knew how it could be in the x36 series. On the other hand, the analyze feature would not have seemingly nothing to do with the wifi module, and problems with this module has uniden would not have to affect the release it

Analysis Modes include Band Scope, RF Power Plot, Trunked System Analysis, and EDACS/LTR LCN Finder

In my case I need the feature trunked system Analysis and Logical Channel Number LTR finder.

HP2 exists now and will soon be marketed , the x36 series becomes "older products"

brucewarming

Analyze Feature

Back when the West Virginia Statewide Interoperability Radio Network (SIRN) came on line I had a Radio Shack Pro 96 and I used the Pro96Com Without it I never would have got the system figured out. Remember this was when it first came out 2003 or so. I analyzed that system and contributed the facts to R.R.
Having the BCD436Hp find everything is nice, But I want to see and use facts and figures and numbers myself. Base Frequency, Step size, Offset, Channel low, Channel high, The ability to see neighboring systems. As it is you have to assume the BCD436HP is finding and using all the information.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
Actually, this poll should allow one or more responses. I answered: Have HP1/use analyze.
But in reality, I also know what Analyze Mode does and I would use it if it was available (on the 436/536HP), and I certainly know it was offered on the box and am keenly aware that is missing from the 436HP/536HP, one of the reasons I bought these radios.

Steve AA6IO

phask

Premium Subscriber
I have several HP1, all with extended. I do use analyze, but rather infrequently.

It's a great tool, I just do not run one to find TG, new sites, etc. as it's not needed in my area. If it was an area with constant change I'd use it a lot more. When a new system was coming online it was great. I also use Unitrunker for more details, but find it cumbersome.

I do find the powerplot invaluable for tuning or comparing sites.

XTS3000

Analyze mode (HP-1E) has the following:
1 Trunked system analyzer
2 EDACS / LTR LCN Finder
3 Band Scope
4 RF Power Plot
5 Raw Data Output

Trunked System Analyzer will tell you everything you ever wanted to know about any TRS. Radios that affiliate or deaffilate, current activity, system load. I've only lightly scratched the surface on features and options.

EDACS LTR finder. Ya it works to automatically find the frequency order. It's really neat watching it do the work to ultimately find the order.

Band Scope is a decent band scope with a fair amount of scan options.

RF Power plot can be useful for checking band conditions on different bands. I'm shocked at the signal strength of all repeaters and how much the signal varies throughout the day and night.

Raw Data Output. Umm can't comment never used it.

So as you can see, Analyze Mode (HP1E) has a ton of additional features/options. In my examples above only scratch the surface on what it can do. Analyze Mode is definitely an advanced feature, used by mostly advanced/power scanner listeners. The average occasional scanner listener would never use these Analyze features. However, the advanced/power scanner user could and would find these features very useful. Analyze Mode is one of the most useful advanced feature/option on the HP-1 - turns a blah scanner into a powerful portable Analyzer.

I like the Analyze Mode in the HP-1 so much, that's why I'd like to see it in the.... Well you know....

Jay911

Feed Provider
Morning folks, thanks for participating. Glad to see lots of varied response, and I appreciate the criticism too, which I'll answer below.

Since the PSR-500 was the first scanner to have an analyze mode and I have used it, I think I know what analyze does. what do you think it does?

The functions in the HP1 (and presumably what will ultimately be in the x36) are vastly different than the single function called "Analyze" in the PSR-500/600. It's not the same thing at all. What "Analyze" in the PSR-500 does is give you the WACN, SID, NAC, and site ID (and receive strength) on a given trunk frequency. On the HP1 and x36, Analyze Mode is a suite of tools which perform various functions on trunk systems. Both henrygb and XTS3000 have outlined the different tools, above.

This is a flawed/biased poll. You ask a yes/no question, then offer only "yes" options that presume Analyze is a function important to the respondent. It should have at least one option to indicate the respondent knows what it is, but wouldn't find it useful, or does not attach a high level of importance to the fact it's currently unavailable.

I have an HP1 and never use Analyze Mode on it, because it is little more than a toy, compared to Pro96Com, UT, T88....

(flawed poll is flawed..)
(which I guess is kinda appropriate for the topic..)

Actually, this poll should allow one or more responses. I answered: Have HP1/use analyze.
But in reality, I also know what Analyze Mode does and I would use it if it was available (on the 436/536HP), and I certainly know it was offered on the box and am keenly aware that is missing from the 436HP/536HP, one of the reasons I bought these radios.

Steve AA6IO

I do concede, in some respects, the poll may appear to be flawed. But perhaps I'm not looking for the answers you think I'm looking for.

The first and last answers are "no" answers (at least, that was my intention), and the middle two are "yes" answers. I'm aware that it is possible that people could want to say "yes" to both of the yes answers, and in fact, I'm one of them. But what I'm looking for is that people choose the answer that applies the most to them - if they have used it in the HP1, I want to see that, even if they would use it in the x36 when/if it becomes available.

As for not using Analyze on the HP1 because of its inferiority to full software applications, that's understandable. All those applications are also inferior, in some ways, to things like ZoneWatch and Genesis. ;) On the other hand, the dumps that the HP1 Activity Log saves on P25 systems can be imported into PRO96COM for better analysis. And it is often easier to take out an HP1 and run Analyze than pull out a computer and an inline scanner.

I said I'd explain what features I use most on Analyze myself. The link henrygb posted from the Uniden wiki is an excellent depiction of what the HP1 Analyze mode has to offer.

Personally, I use Activity Log most often, as I'm always finding P25 systems to "sleuth out" (discover, identify properties/sites/locations/functions, etc). As mentioned above, I import the data into PRO96COM to do better analysis on it - the display of the activity log on the HP1 is indeed flawed, with serious shortcomings, and the "translated" log data saved with the raw dumps has some problems (mathematical errors in the iden tables, etc). I have used EDACS and LTR LCN finder to sort out a number of such systems, and it is interesting to watch it do its work. System Status and LCN Monitor I don't use very often as they don't do much for the goals I have (mainly figuring out P25 systems, as mentioned above). The Current Activity screen is most like Unitrunker or T88's main displays, and gets a little bit of use, but not much, because if I wanted that display, well, I have Unitrunker and a handful of SDR dongles to do that job. Band Scope and RF Power Plot I use rarely, but really should try to work with them more because they have a lot of potential, some of which some of you have already mentioned in this thread.

I left Trunked Discovery out of the discussion because it is already available in the x36. I use it from time to time on both my 436 and my HP1, when I am looking at a new (to me) system, or checking an existing system to see if I really do have all the talkgroups (I tend to keep most of my systems in favorites lists on "ID Search" anyway).

Viewing these images, no one can explain how it could be on the screen of the x36 series, however Uniden offered it when promoting the x36 series, but if uniden offered it, all assumed they knew how it could be in the x36 series. On the other hand, the analyze feature would not have seemingly nothing to do with the wifi module, and problems with this module has uniden would not have to affect the release it

I wasn't going to touch on the latter half of this statement because it brushes up against the issues that tend to throw threads into the fighting that gets them locked. What I will say is, yes, I agree that a lot of these displays would be tricky, if at all possible, on either the 436 or 536 (and both of them would of course need different designs since the displays are of different dimensions and layouts). However, a lot of the functions don't necessarily need the fancy graphical displays that the HP1 shows off. For example, LCN Finder - do you really need the large grid display on-screen showing where it's plotting channels? Or is a list of LCNs from LCN 01 to LCN 28 (or however many channels are relevant) with "Working.." and "Done!" beside each sufficient?

As for whether or not they could release it in the x36, I would hazard a guess that the display of data is probably a large part of the delay in making it work. Maybe fixing some of the bugs I mentioned in Activity Log is on the table too. At the same time, people have already been complaining that the HP2 was released, and they are suggesting that the effort done in developing the HP2 should have been devoted to making the x36 Wi-Fi and app work. So if people had been pulled from the x36 Wi-Fi/app project to get Analyze sorted out, you'd have the same kind of complaint.

I like the Analyze Mode in the HP-1 so much, that's why I'd like to see it in the.... Well you know....

Oh trust me, I am with you too. When I travel to new places, I carry around one of my HP1s simply because if I need to do analysis on a system, I can't use my 436. It'd be a lot more efficient if I could use the 436 for it as well.

As I said before, thanks everyone for your input!

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987

That's the answer I would have chosen, if it was available. As written, I can't make a vote in this poll. I somewhat know what the analyze function will do, since it's on my HP-1 (E), but don't really care to use it. Maybe some day I'll fiddle around with it, but for now, it's a dormant feature for me.

:)

rcool101

Feed Provider
Having used the analyze feature on my HP-1E, I can't imagine using it on my 536 with the size and shape of the screen. Plus no color. The 436 screen might work out better.

Gman3939

Premium Subscriber
Have been a scanner hobbiest my whole life! I have never had a radio with analyze? That's why I bought the new 536! Do I truly know what is is...no! But I can't wait to play with it!

KF5FCT

N8IAA

I'm not going to vote, but, presume that the analyze feature was supposed to work with the Siren app and the 536. Can't see how it would work on the screen size of either the 436/536.
JMTCW,
Larry

Jay911

Feed Provider
I'm not going to vote, but, presume that the analyze feature was supposed to work with the Siren app and the 536. Can't see how it would work on the screen size of either the 436/536.

Ooh, now that is an idea I hadn't thought of before. Doesn't answer for the 436, but is a possibility for the 536. Thanks for that.

wise871

Database Admin
But what about those that don't own a smartphone? I can't see needing Siren app just use the feature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I'm not a Uniden user, but use many of the functions being described. For analyzing trunked systems, I use PC based software such as UniTrunker. I haven't used the data output function (via serial port) of the PSR-500.

The trunked systems around here that I monitor are not EDACS, but my trunking scanners have the LCN finder. When I am programming EDACS/LTR, I usually don't use the auto find, I just monitor and the information is provided.

When it comes to measuring RF, either the little 'meter' on the front of the newer GREs work good enough, or I want something way more elaborate than I'd expect to find in a ($500) scanner, like a spectrum alanyzer.

ButchGone

I would be just as happy if Uniden brought back a wonderful feature on the x96 series, but left off with the x36 series...and that is Control Channel search. It was nice going into new areas, finding control channels, and being able to listen to the system in search mode. I'd also like to see a return of service search, which came in handy for aircraft, marine, ham and other services while on the road.
BG..

wise871

Database Admin
I would be just as happy if Uniden brought back a wonderful feature on the x96 series, but left off with the x36 series...and that is Control Channel search. It was nice going into new areas, finding control channels, and being able to listen to the system in search mode. I'd also like to see a return of service search, which came in handy for aircraft, marine, ham and other services while on the road.
BG..

I agree, I would love to see these features added.

scanman1958

Premium Subscriber
If I had a scanner that had the analyze (at this time I do not) feature I would use it. It sounds very helpful and could be quite interesting to work with. I have a friend with a HP-1 which he has on it and it looks very interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.