UPMan latest update no excuse for missing options on 436

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColonelMike

Premium Subscriber
Please will someone tell me how this latest "we are working on it but still have no clue on timeframe" update for the siren app affects the missing features on the 436? We have had no firmware updates on that model yet the HP-2 is announced with the Analyze feature.

Now I will admit, as Uniden has proven, just because they announced the feature does not mean it will make it into the HP-2. After all, this is a major company. Company stake their future on promises. Their announcement, delivery, delays and responses to the delays are only proof of what they intend to provide to the customer. As a customer, past practice is all you have to go on.

So obviously the HP-2 may not have analyze when it ships, heck it may not have any other feature listed: this has been proven by Uniden!! But why is the analyze feature still missing from the 436 when the 436 has zero to do with the siren app?

MStep

But why is the analyze feature still missing from the 436 when the 436 has zero to do with the siren app?

I imagine that you have not worked with an HP-1 and its various features available in the Extreme upgrade. Much of that feature set was designed to work with the screen on the HP-1. My guess is that at this point, they have not come up with a way to properly integrate a usable type display mode into the 436 or 536 firmware to accomplish this. The siren application for the 536 could have utilized a connection with a smart-phone screen to provide the necessary "real estate" to run these various modes, but unfortunately, that app has yet to materialize. And how this would incorporate into the 436's display is another unsolved mystery.

musicman476

RR DB Admin
Database Admin
But why is the analyze feature still missing from the 436 when the 436 has zero to do with the siren app?

From the same thread by Paul you referenced above: "As our #1 priority is [the app], this has unavoidably also delayed the release of the analyze features, which will also be released at a future date."

All of their resources are working on the app, as that is most important for them right now. The analyze feature is for BOTH units, 436 & 536 so it will come after they get the app worked out.

PhillyPhoto

All of their resources are working on the app, as that is most important for them right now. The analyze feature is for BOTH units, 436 & 536 so it will come after they get the app worked out.

Yet all their resources are NOT working on Siren, because he also stated that it's been held up due to outside engineers & vendors. They have nothing to do with working on Uniden's internal Analyze app. Also, wouldn't it make more sense to work on something that affects the entire line of scanners, rather than just the base that's being held up by an outside party?

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
We have had no firmware updates on that model yet the HP-2 is announced with the Analyze feature.

You do understand that the R&D for the HP2 has likely(I do not work for Uniden so do not actually have a solid time line) been in the pipe since the x36 line was introduced right?

Your rant makes zero sense. Get a clue. R&D takes time, and the fact that the HP2 has been announced has zero bearing on the issues with the x36 line of scanners.

If the missing features are such an issue, SELL the scanner.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
Christ, people it is what it is. They're working on it. Paul has said so REPEATEDLY. What more do you want? He can't click his heels three times and make the app and updates magically appear. :roll:

According to Paul's latest update we're close - less than a month away - from the app being done and in the app store. That's GREAT news so far. Once the app is done and released, then they can focus on the x36 firmware updates. Perhaps we will see both released at the same time since there's a two week or so lag between app submission and availability in the app store? Sure would make sense to me, and I'll be curious to see what all the naysayers will be complaining about after these two things are addressed. I'm sure they will think of something - Uniden/Paul can do no right by some people here anymore.

-AZ

EDCScanner

Banned for duplicate accounts
Banned
Christ, people it is what it is. They're working on it. Paul has said so REPEATEDLY. What more do you want? He can't click his heels three times and make the app and updates magically appear. :roll:

According to Paul's latest update we're close - less than a month away - from the app being done and in the app store. That's GREAT news so far. Once the app is done and released, then they can focus on the x36 firmware updates. Perhaps we will see both released at the same time since there's a two week or so lag between app submission and availability in the app store? Sure would make sense to me, and I'll be curious to see what all the naysayers will be complaining about after these two things are addressed. I'm sure they will think of something - Uniden/Paul can do no right by some people here anymore.

-AZ

I am going to assume you haven't seen Paul's update from yesterday based on the statements you made above. His latest updated didn't sound to reassuring. It definitely doesn't sound like it will be less than a month away as you stated. If anything, it sounds like things have gone backwards. Also the app can't be released until the firmware is done.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
I am going to assume you haven't seen Paul's update from yesterday based on the statements you made above. His latest updated didn't sound to reassuring. It definitely doesn't sound like it will be less than a month away as you stated. If anything, it sounds like things have gone backwards. Also the app can't be released until the firmware is done.

OK, looks like I got the 9-25 update confused with the latest one - my bad there. But it's still being worked on and yes, you may be right - things may have indeed gone backwards as things sometimes do when writing software and/or working with technology. Been there and done that many times. It's part of the gig.

So at the end of the day, after much wringing of hands and gnashing of teeth, what have we accomplished? The way I see it, about the only thing we have accomplished is the supposedly Herculean feat of getting Paul to tell us what we already knew: The app's not ready and no one knows for sure when it will be. Go figure!

Why do we keep repeating this cycle, people? What would be more acceptable? A weekly update? A daily one? Maybe Paul could post once an hour, how about that? Seriously, these threads really don't accomplish much of anything so maybe instead of logging on daily to complain we could just sit tight and wait it out. Novel concept, but who knows... some folks in here might find the peace and quiet refreshing. I know I would.

-AZ

Last edited:

wise871

Database Admin
I believe people are uptight because it's been almost a year now and the problem is still being negotiated with an outside vendor. Also the fact that the scanner was apparently released to early. I can't fault people for being upset and wanting to vent. When the same reply is given "give them some time two months, 6 months, 1 year, 2 years, etc they're going to be pissed. 6 months ago you wouldn't have thought it would even get to the 1 year mark. As Paul said there working on it but allows those who followed the forum guidelines to get it off your chest. Coming back on here and challenging them is just going to make the situation worse seeing they are already upset as it is. But then it is also your right to come on here and post what you feel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

EDCScanner

Banned for duplicate accounts
Banned
Maybe Paul could post once an hour, how about that?

That would be cool. Seeing he is here all hours of the day anyways.

Even better, how bout a live streaming cam so we can actually see them working.

Had we had that we might have seen the HP-2 coming down the pipe.

It is obvious you have no stock in this issues. So why discount others. You know what these threads are going to be like before you read them. Why do it, you choose to and you choose to participate. No one is forcing you. If people want to be upset and rant then let them. They have all the right to do it. People going away will be out of sight, out of mind. Which I sure is exactly what Uniden wants. Sure, complaining accomplishes nothing, but I am sure it makes some feel better.

wise871

Database Admin
Because some people like to put others down with there witty remarks instead of just sidestepping the topic altogether.
Just a part of social media and forums.
I remember the old days when it was which scanner was better topics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boatanchor

So at the end of the day, after much wringing of hands and gnashing of teeth, what have we accomplished? The way I see it, about the only thing we have accomplished is the supposedly Herculean feat of getting Paul to tell us what we already knew: The app's not ready and no one knows for sure when it will be. Go figure!

-AZ

What have we accomplished?

Possibly nothing at all in the short run.

It is plain to see that consumers have very little recourse through the legal system or through regulators against such actions by manufacturers. The problem is compounded by the relatively small numbers of units that we are talking about, maybe a few thousand scanners in total. A class action would cost big bucks and there would likely be zero financial incentive for the plaintiff's to try and get a win through the court system.

However, the legal and regulatory system is not the only recourse for consumers nowadays. One avenue that arguably has the potential for even greater impact on manufactures bottom line is through social media coverage.

Consumers don't generally just go out and spend $500-$600 on any product nowadays until they have researched the product online, or at the very least obtained an opinion from colleagues, family or friends.

As a company, having a good 'online' reputation is crucial. Uniden's reputation is taking a big hit from this debacle, as well it should. Sales will suffer. Future products will be scrutinized much more closely than ever before.

Social media has the potential to change the way a company operates.

It is simply a case of adapt, or die.

ColonelMike

Premium Subscriber
You do understand that the R&D for the HP2 has likely(I do not work for Uniden so do not actually have a solid time line) been in the pipe since the x36 line was introduced right?

Your rant makes zero sense. Get a clue. R&D takes time, and the fact that the HP2 has been announced has zero bearing on the issues with the x36 line of scanners.

If the missing features are such an issue, SELL the scanner.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you want to give me $500 for my 436 and $600 for my 536 I gladly will SELL them. That's what I have asked from Uniden.

Status
Not open for further replies.