What scanner would I need for VBPD

Status
Not open for further replies.

kermit1

Hello all,

I was wondering what scanner would be a good, entry level rig to pick up for Virginia Beach PD? I listen to the ORION live feed, but it seems rather limited. I would like to strictly get the LE traffic on my own radio if I can. Also, if I can get NAS Oceana security and NS Norfolk, that would be a bonus.

Thanks for any help in this.

kc4jgc

Entry level? I don't think there is such a thing as "entry level" as far as digital scanners are concerned. Any digital trunking scanner will decode the ORION/VB systems as well as the USN's ELMR system. It's a matter of what brand you prefer. If you're looking for something less than $400, look into the used or closeout market.

jknight988

Premium Subscriber
Hello kermit1 !

I would suggest looking at either the Radio Shack PRO-197 or PRO-106. You can find the PRO-197 on Amazon right now for $354.99! I use both to copy not only VBPD/VBFD on the ORION system, but it will also copy VSP operating on the STARS system. Be sure to checkout both ORION & STARS on RR for coverage. They are older Radio Shack models, but are a little easier on the wallet when you're first starting to get into scanning.

JKNIGHT988

kc4jgc

Kermit, let us know what you get. Someone here (myself included) may be able to help you with files depending on what you buy. I can help you with Pro 106/197 and PSR 500/600, for example.

QDP2012

Kermit, in case you want a new scanner and haven't seen this mentioned in other threads, the GRE 500/600 and RS Pro 106/197 units were manufactured by GRE, and are now discontinued, since GRE is out of business. Whistler bought the design-info from GRE, and has built the exact same scanners, but with new model numbers.

As you can see on the RS page Radio Shack Scanners ($300+):
Radio Shack-branded units are now the Pro 651/652.
Whislter-branded units are the WS1040/WS1065.

All of these unit are the same as the old Pro106/197, just manufactured now by Whistler instead of GRE.

Hope this helps,

reconrider8

I have a file of the whole area I can send you that has all the military bases and orion and all the other cities around that area if you want it I just have to delete out all the local stuff from my area here l. This a win500 file for the 500 600 106 and 197

kermit1

I will keep you all updated on what I end up getting. I have been crazy busy the last few weeks with some travel for good things and some not so good things.

Thanks for the input so far.

kermit1

Sorry to necro this thread. Good news: I am back from deployment (an unscheduled, very short notice deployment).

So, now I am back in the market for a scanner. the Whistler WS1065: what is everybody's input on it? I am very tempted by it.

MotoTRK

Sorry to necro this thread. Good news: I am back from deployment (an unscheduled, very short notice deployment).

So, now I am back in the market for a scanner. the Whistler WS1065: what is everybody's input on it? I am very tempted by it.

Im sending you a message now.

Status
Not open for further replies.