BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Clock Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

yardbird

Hello All!

I have a BCD436HP scanner and I love the thing.

The only issue I am having is with the clock.

Everytime I power the scanner up I always have to program the clock before the scanner will begin to scan.

I never had this problem until recently.

The thing even does it with fresh batteries.

I am just curious if this is a defect and will the scanner have to be sent back to the factory.

Please let me know,

Thanks

David

Last edited:

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Have you left the radio powered ON and running for 48 hours (while connected to a power source, of course)? That's how the internal clock battery gets charged.

My 436 has not had the problem, but some people have experienced it - so there may be some with bad batteries, but you should try the above before you write it off as a defective battery.

mryvr

I'm having the same issue and nothing seems to fix it. Called Durham radio where I bought it from who sent me to the who perform the warranty repairs. When I called them they were going to contact Uniden and call me back. No call back and that was two months ago.

It's still under warranty so think I'll just send it in for repair and let them worry about it.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Hello All!

I have a BCD436HP scanner and I love the thing.

The only issue I am having is with the clock.

Everytime I power the scanner up I always have to program the clock before the scanner will begin to scan.

I never had this problem until recently.

The thing even does it with fresh batteries.

I am just curious if this is a defect and will the scanner have to be sent back to the factory.

Please let me know,

Thanks

David

Leave the radio plugged in and turned on for 50 hours to charge the clock's own internal battery.

http://forums.radioreference.com/2167148-post16.html

EDCScanner

Banned for duplicate accounts
Banned
What about the 536? I have left mine on for weeks straight at a time. Turn it off for a few days and turn it back on and it asks me to set the time and date. This has happened numerous times. You would think after a few weeks of it being on 24/7 it would be charged.

Jay911

Feed Provider
What about the 536? I have left mine on for weeks straight at a time. Turn it off for a few days and turn it back on and it asks me to set the time and date. This has happened numerous times. You would think after a few weeks of it being on 24/7 it would be charged.

As has been stated quite a bit, it's possible you (and the few others with this problem) have a defective clock battery. You should send it to Uniden.

xrorx

Premium Subscriber
I got lucky. My 436 clock has worked from day one. I was happy to see it handled daylight savings time correctly as well.

Jay911

Feed Provider
I got lucky. My 436 clock has worked from day one. I was happy to see it handled daylight savings time correctly as well.

I never thought to look at that - I don't use the clock on it much except when reviewing saved recordings offline, but mine updated appropriately too.

EDCScanner

Banned for duplicate accounts
Banned
Yes, possibly, especially if they're from the same lot.

Oh good grief, I will just replace it myself and bill them for the parts. I didn't send them in for the headphone recall because I didn't want to deal with that fiasco and I also do use the headphone jack.

rooivalk

Mine has the clock problem, and when I set the clock, the radio freezes on the "Processing..." screen. I have to remove a battery, turn the radio back on, and then the time will be: 00:00 and date is Jan,01...

Since I can't get it to work on EBRCS (lousy multi-county radio system in Bay Area, Ca.), I'm probably just going to sell it, instead of sending it in...

WILSON43

Premium Subscriber
I was ranting about the clock situation a few weeks ago and almost got thrown off of RR for my efforts.

It's a design flaw neither Uniden or the Uniden fans here wish to acknowledge.

One of many on what would otherwise be very good scanners.

cm

I've had my 436 for a little over a month and have only had to set the clock once. Even switched to daylight savings time a couple of weeks ago. I guess I got one of the good ones.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
I've had my 436 for a little over a month and have only had to set the clock once. Even switched to daylight savings time a couple of weeks ago. I guess I got one of the good ones.

I've had mine for about 10 months, set the clock the first day and haven't had to set it since.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I've had mine for about 10 months, set the clock the first day and haven't had to set it since.
Same here. Set once, and that was it. Mine runs pretty much 24/7. About the only time it's off is when I'm out and about, and I turn it off, then put it in the glove box to get it out of sight when I'm away from the truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.