North Texas City of Denton / County / Lewisville systems going P25 Phase II

Status
Not open for further replies.

tateconcepts

K5CDR
Hello all,

I thought I had posted this earlier, however it appears that it didn't post after all. I was at a meeting last week and we discussed the current transformation of the older 1992 systems that Denton County uses to P25. This is confirmed and is currently in progress. In fact, if you listen to Lewisville, including Coppell and Flower Mound, you will see that the traffic has been greatly reduced. From what I understand, Denton County is in training now and when that completes, Lewisville will make that same move. This will move all these systems into Phase II. I have been informed that encryption was requested, but is not currently planned to take place. However, it is likely that certain talkgroups for narcotics and tactical will likely use encryption, but not the majority of these. I cannot confirm how much of this and just how fast this transition will take place but I speculate it will occur just after the first of the year.

Anyone have any comments on this?

DMBFireman

Feed Provider
What meeting was this? I listen to both the Lewisville and Denton Co systems on a daily basis and have not heard any reduction in radio traffic. I also work for Lewisville FD and we have not been told anything about switching to digital anytime soon. I also have no knowledge or reports of any digital systems currently in place or being installed in Denton Co. I know it's being talked about and planned for but certainly for is at least not in the near future. My personal expectation was another year or 2 before we switched. I'm interested to hear more about this meeting you attended.

Brandon

n5ims

ok....besides that one that even though it's in Denton County it carries no Denton County traffic on a regular basis because that is a metroplex wide mutual aid system...

Brandon

How about the Carrollton, Addison, Farmers Branch (and soon to be Coppell) system? http://forums.radioreference.com/te...lton-tx-trs-upgrade-phase-ii-p-25-system.html

Also the Plano system (http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=6766) has a tower site on Dozier Road in Denton County. They handle communications for The Colony so there is indeed traffic for Denton County residents on that system.

Last edited:

TxFireBuff8

Is the City of Denton goi g to he encrypted for Fire Department channels same with Denton County?

Stephen

The City of Denton is not going Digital for several years they will remain on the Smartnet system. Denton County is in the first stages of going digital within a year, and Lewisville is in the beginning stages of trying to find the money to build a system.

The talk now is Lewisville and Denton County going in together on a digital system. As it stands now, they would be able to share frequencies, towers, etc. It is in the planning stages and possibly implemented either this summer or next, cant remember for sure.

DMBFireman

Feed Provider
Latest I have heard as of this month is Denton County is signing all the necessary paperwork now for installation of a county-wide P25 system (probably will be Phase II) and the county is planning on switching to the new system possibly by June. The City of Lewisville will be joining the Denton Co. P25 system planning for a September launch date. The frequencies from the Lewisville system will be migrated to the Denton County P25 system. I don't know if all other users such as Flower Mound and Highland Village will also migrate there but I would say that is likely. Coppell will be on the Carrollton/Farmers Branch P25 system by this summer if not earlier.

billpritjr

Latest I have heard as of this month is Denton County is signing all the necessary paperwork now for installation of a county-wide P25 system (probably will be Phase II) and the county is planning on switching to the new system possibly by June. The City of Lewisville will be joining the Denton Co. P25 system planning for a September launch date. The frequencies from the Lewisville system will be migrated to the Denton County P25 system. I don't know if all other users such as Flower Mound and Highland Village will also migrate there but I would say that is likely. Coppell will be on the Carrollton/Farmers Branch P25 system by this summer if not earlier.

Is this still on schedule ?

So will this be "out of reach" of current scanners on the marketplace ?

Thank You

DMBFireman

Feed Provider
As far as the schedule I can't say for sure because I don't know but the digital switch is coming sooner than later. I would think that if Denton Co was switching this month that the new system would already be up and running for testing. I have not seen that happening yet. So my guess is they are probably behind the rumored schedule which almost always seems to happen with these things. As for scanners if the system is Phase II as rumored then you will need to purchase one of the newer scanners that decodes Phase II digital. I would say it's also likely that police in many areas will decide to encrypt and when that happens you're out of luck no matter what scanner if you plan on listening to PD.

Brandon

Stephen

I know that Denton County had to rebid part or the entire contract at one point due to a couple of issues. I know there was some coordination with Lewisville on the issue as well. I would not expect to see anything after talking to some people at the city and county for a little while, as I think one of the sites that is planned doesn't even have a completed tower yet.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
So will this be "out of reach" of current scanners on the marketplace ?

Thank You
There are several scanners currently available that will handle a Phase II system, presuming, of course, that your talkgroup of interest is not encrypted. Some agencies only encrypt "sensitive" talkgroups/channels, such as tactical operations,narcotics investigations, etc. Others, like Fort Worth has done (Ft. Worth proper is using Phase I), encrypt everything.

Current scanners that will receive a P25 Phase II system include:

Whistler WS1080 (handheld), and the soon to be released WS1095.

Radio Shack Pro-668 (made by Whistler for them, same as the WS1080 other than the nameplate, although the firmware is different)

Uniden:
Handhelds- BCD325P2, BCD436HP
Base/Mobile- BCD996P2, BCD536HP
Also the Home Patrol-2

nd5y

It appears that the new P25 system is on the air now.

Unitrunker shows:
WACN BEE00
System ID 693
Site 001-001
NAC 690
MFID Motorola
Channel access P2

858.2875 A
859.2875 A
772.60625 A
773.65625 C

Somebody down there needs to verify it. There is a good band opening this evening and I'm not sure if this is Denton County or someplace else. I think it is based on the frequencies.

BenScan

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the heads-up Tom. I'm receiving it in Bedford, but only with 2 bars on the BCD996P2. I wonder how many transmitter sites they have up now. Hopefully, it will have a better signal down the road. I'll keep an ear on it and try to point an antenna that way when I have more time.

There have been lots of band openings lately for us. I've been hearing several sites on the TXWarn system from SE of here, especially in the morning hours. It's bad enough that some of the remote trunked systems come in better than the local ones, but that's mostly because of the crappy scanners.

I hope things are going well.

Ben
It appears that the new P25 system is on the air now.

Unitrunker shows:
WACN BEE00
System ID 693
Site 001-001
NAC 690
MFID Motorola
Channel access P2

858.2875 A
859.2875 A
772.60625 A
773.65625 C

Somebody down there needs to verify it. There is a good band opening this evening and I'm not sure if this is Denton County or someplace else. I think it is based on the frequencies.

Status
Not open for further replies.