Icom PCR

Status
Not open for further replies.

btlacer

KI4SJU/ Fire Captain/ EMTFR
Hi everyone, I was wanting to know how you like the pcr type receivers. I am in the market to get one but just would like to know your likes and dislikes. I am willing to do a trade for one. Thanks so much and look forward to your feedback.

Turbo68

Hi there i got the PCR1000/1500 R2500 main intrest for me is monitoring aircraft on hf &vhf they all do an excellent job hooked up to a Wellbrook-ALA1530AL-1 Active Loop for hf,Icom-AH7000 Discone for vhf.

Regards Lino.

btlacer

KI4SJU/ Fire Captain/ EMTFR
Thanks, that's what I am really wanting one for as well. I loved listening to hf aircraft when I had a radio to listen to them on.

Ed_Seedhouse

Premium Subscriber
I have a PCR-1500 and it works nicely scanning the air band. It is not good as a scanner of the public safety bands because it doesn't support trunking or P25 digital.

VE6BRW

R2500

I have an R2500 and this radio does do P25 but it doesn't do Trunking. But I'm sure you can search RR and I believe that someone had posted that with this 2 receivers in on you could load a program for trunking and then use the trunking feature on one side then receive on the other. One thing that I've found is that with the new computer Windows 8 I cannot load or use the ICOM R2500 on it as I've tried pretty much everything to load some drivers but they won't load... so I still have the old XP computer and use it. I really wish that one didn't need an engineers degree to get computers to work...... anyway I truly love my R2500 and am so waiting for the Whistler 1095 to come out (have read and been watching about the x36's and there are way to many problems etc with these units along with misconceptions about them.

forums manager

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Don't forget the search feature within this forum can bring up some of the old threads on this receiver. Lots to read.

vince48

Premium Subscriber
btlacer
You might be in luck. I have a PCR2500 with the P25 module that I'm about to sell. It is a great radio. You can trunk analog Motorola & EDACS systems using TrunkPCR (great program). The PCR2500 is great for air band monitoring also.
Send me a PM if you are interested.

vince48

Pape

Premium Subscriber
got my 2500 a long time ago. I certainly enjoying the thing but for the 2500 money you can get your self a nice modern SDR.

As previously mentioned trunkpcr will get you trunk support on the 2500 and DSD will help you to decode p25 in software, just need the sound card to go along.

PACNWDude

Icom PCR-1000 here.

I bought and Icom PCR-1000 when they first came out. Wasn't the best with the Bonito software, but with others it was better. I also used a Palm organizer to control it. The cheap telescoping antenna included was worthless.

SDR# and USB dongle does the same thing now. And for a lot less money.

For novelty it was a good unit, and some people use it to good effect for weather reposrts on board sailboats and other vessels.

Status
Not open for further replies.