Please add Control Channel Only for BCDx36HP

Status
Not open for further replies.

wise871

Database Admin
I know Uniden is working on the WiFi issues along with the Analyzer function but myself and others would love to have Control Channel Only added to the X36HP custom search mode like the previous generation scanners. This would at lest give us the some capabilities to monitor and ID trunk systems, especially new ones.

I don't see this being difficult since custom search is already installed and once Analyzer function is released, will have even more ways to analyze trunk systems. I know Uniden has added updates and features to all there previous scanners based on features from the latest models.

SCPD

QRT
cc

I know Uniden is working on the WiFi issues along with the Analyzer function but myself and others would love to have Control Channel Only added to the X36HP custom search mode like the previous generation scanners. This would at lest give us the some capabilities to monitor and ID trunk systems, especially new ones.

I don't see this being difficult since custom search is already installed and once Analyzer function is released, will have even more ways to analyze trunk systems. I know Uniden has added updates and features to all there previous scanners based on features from the latest models.

Amen to that its much more useful nowadays with trunking around most parts of the country and it helps the database here!

mitbr

On that same note can we open the squelch in order to hear the data channel. I use this to determine if distant systems are coming in via temperature inversions.

Boatanchor

^^^ This ^^^ and Tone/Nac search at the same time.

+1 for CC only search.

Sorely missing this feature in the 436HP and one of the main reasons why my 436 is left at home, while the 396XT travels with me.

And, while you are at it Uniden, why not incorporate the option for NAC and Tone search at the same time?

It's ridiculous that you don't have the option do a band search with both Tone & NAC enabled.

I would love to see a firmware update incorporating this last request in the x96XT series too.

Come on, you can do it, I know you can :)

Voyager

I vaguely recall Paul mentioning on another forum that this would be part of the Analyze function. Don't quote me on that, though.

Voyager

And, while you are at it Uniden, why not incorporate the option for NAC and Tone search at the same time?

It's ridiculous that you don't have the option do a band search with both Tone & NAC enabled.

My x36s will show CTCSS/CDCSS/NAC on a search.
(no setting to select anything other than that on searches)\

On Scanning, you need the channel audio set for ALL (not analog only or digital only)

Boatanchor

My x36s will show CTCSS/CDCSS/NAC on a search.
(no setting to select anything other than that on searches)\

On Scanning, you need the channel audio set for ALL (not analog only or digital only)

Voyager, the following comments about Tone/Nac search relate to the x96XT.

You are correct, in that the x36HP will display both tone and NAC during a custom search.

There is no 'All' setting anywhere in the x96XT interface. There is an 'Auto' setting in the Modulation menu, but that only presets the modulation (AM,FM,FMN & FMB etc) based on the preset bandplans.

As for the TONE/NAC search option in the x96XT (my other gripe).

Under the 'Global' Search/Close call Options menu, there is a sub-menu called TONE/CODE Search.
This setting defines whether the scanner will search or close call for a Tone (analogue) or Code (P25) signals.

In this menu, there are three options:

'Off'
'CTCSS/DCS Search'
&
'P25 NAC Search'

If you set this option to 'OFF', the radio will search and stop on all analogue and digital signals. So far, so good. If the receiver receives a digital signal, it will display the NAC. However, if the receiver stops on an analogue channel, it does not display the CTCSS/DCS tone. Therein lies the problem.

If you set this setting to CTCSS/DCS the scanner will only search for analogue signals and will display the tone, but will ignore digital signals - That's fine.

If you set this setting to NAC Search, the scanner will stop on valid P25 signals only, displaying the NAC and will ignore analogue signals - That's fine..

Maybe, these options should be renamed:

'All'
Analogue only Search
&
P25/Digital only Search

But, with the 'All' option displaying both NAC and CTCSS codes/tones as it finds them.

The current terms are confusing and ambiguous.

Ideally, these three options should be available for each custom search group, rather that only one global setting shared across all custom search bands.

The required functions are already in the scanner, it is simply a case of tweaking the firmware to make it happen..

Last edited:

Gilligan

Database Admin
On that same note can we open the squelch in order to hear the data channel. I use this to determine if distant systems are coming in via temperature inversions.
I also would love to see this implemented. This isn't currently possible on the 396XT, is it?

wise871

Database Admin
I'm still hoping this feature will be added. A friend of mine is down in Busch Gardens right now trying to verify frequencies because whats listed in the database is not correct. He basally has a paper weight with him since he can't even get simple information like a SysID to know if the frequencies he's getting hits on belong to the park.

SCPD

QRT
Any update on this feature request? This is a HUGE missing feature from the 436HP. As far as a I can tell, there's nothing similar in the Analyze or Discovery modes.

wise871

Database Admin
BUMP, Just wondering if will ever get an answer on this subject. I can't see it being difficult to incorporate seeing the search features is the same as the XT models. This would give users the ability to scan through a range of frequencies looking for new systems and updating older ones. I know our county is getting ready to turn on Phase II in the 700 Mhz range. Sure I found the listing of frequencies on the FCC site but I could confirm the new data a lot quicker and without a PC if I had CC Only available. Sure we have a limited version of the Analyzer now but it does nothing for hunting new frequencies.

Uniden added CTCSS/CDCSS/NAC all-in-one search to the x36 which was limited on the XT to Off, CTCSS/DCS or P25 NAC so I don't see why it would not be possible to bring the x36 up another notch.

Last edited:

Voyager

Per your original post, you want "some capabilities to monitor and ID trunk systems, especially new ones". Simply program the control channel(s) into a new System and use ID SEARCH and you will have that capability.

wise871

Database Admin
Per your original post, you want "some capabilities to monitor and ID trunk systems, especially new ones". Simply program the control channel(s) into a new System and use ID SEARCH and you will have that capability.

I don't think you understand my full request so here is an example what I can do on the XT's but not the x36. Yes I know I can program the control channels frequencies to find the ID's in search mode but it's not the TG ID's I want to find, its the WAN and SID of a new system (SID:XXXXh-0XXX), the basic feature in the XT and T series scanners. I know that my new system has 14 new channels in the FCC database and sure I can program them into the x36 and use the analyzer feature but what if I didn't have FCC access or know the frequencies. What if I just want to scan a range of frequencies 700-740Mz and see if any new CC show up. You can't do that on the x36. When I travel I like to scan the 700, 800 and 380 ranges looking for new system and site information.

Voyager

I understand what you want. I was just telling you how you can do nearly the same thing without the control channel only search feature.

Just out of curiosity, what do you want the WAN and SID for since the scanner does not use them? Is it just to confirm that it's part of the same system? Monitoring the control channel would generally tell you if it's part of the same system.

I agree with your request for the feature addition. In fact, I really wish the scanners would use the SID much like a conventional channel uses CTCSS/CDCSS/NAC to validate the user/system, but right now I think Uniden is still busy working on announced features to add any new ones at this time.

SCPD

QRT
I understand what you want. I was just telling you how you can do nearly the same thing without the control channel only search feature.

Apparently you don't.

Do you understand that this cannot be done if you DO NOT KNOW the frequencies?
Do you understand that the 346/396/996 series of scanners ALL had this feature?

It's an *extremely* useful feature when you're in an unknown part of the country.

Where do you think RR gets most of its trunking data? Answer: from users using this feature on their scanners!

Well, those that *don't* have the x36HP series. :roll:

Voyager

Apparently you don't.

Thank you. I had no idea what I know. I'm glad you're around to tell me what I know and don't know.

Do you understand that this cannot be done if you DO NOT KNOW the frequencies?

Do you understand that P25 systems all use control channel only trunking so if you know the current control channel you CAN trunk it without knowing any of the voice channel frequencies?

Do you understand that the 346/396/996 series of scanners ALL had this feature?

Yes, I do. Except the 346 which does not support P25 trunking.

It's an *extremely* useful feature when you're in an unknown part of the country.

If you're in an unknown part of the country, you have the entire country's database built into the scanner. Odds are that system will already be in your scanner if you are using the latest database.

Where do you think RR gets most of its trunking data? Answer: from users using this feature on their scanners!

Actually it's more often from system admins and techs for the trunked systems - sometimes through third parties, but some does come from users who use much more advanced tools than a scanner to collect the data.

Where do you think the data came from before that feature existed? I ask this as one of the first contributors to what is today the RR dB - back when it was merely a LIST and not even a website.

Well, those that *don't* have the x36HP series. :roll:

More advanced than the x36 series, too.

I think you need to roll your eyes less and stop trying to tell everyone else what they know.

Again, my post was to provide a path to capability similar to what the OP wants. NOT EXACT, but similar, and trust me it works. I've tried it personally despite the fact that you "know otherwise".

wise871

Database Admin
Just out of curiosity, what do you want the WAN and SID for since the scanner does not use them?

So I can submit new system information to Radio Reference because it's not currently in the database.

I know Uniden is busy but Paul reads the forums so I'm just putting the bug in his ear for a reasonable request for down the road. By adding CC Only search with it already having analyzer and record feature the x36 scanners would be a powerful scanner for hunting down new systems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
If you're in an unknown part of the country, you have the entire country's database built into the scanner. Odds are that system will already be in your scanner if you are using the latest database.

Actually, its only going to be in Sentinels database if at least one talk group was added via a submission to radio reference, otherwise you need to enter the system manually into Sentinel or the scanner and set it to id search mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.