Should All Hospital Security In Minnesota Be On The ARMER System?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JASII

Memory Capacity
In light of the incident at Saint Johns Hospital this weekend, I ask my fellow members here this question? Should all hospital security in Minnesota be on the ARMER system? I am assuming that Saint Johns Hospital Security is not currently on ARMER. I know that some are on ARMER and some are not. It doesn't even seem to matter whether the hospital is public are private.

One of the criticisms that is often heard around the country when critical incidents happen, is incompatible communications systems. In fact, if I recall correctly, there may have even been article linked to this site recently from the shootings in Ottawa in which that was discussed.

So, assuming it is not an issue of qualifying to be a user, I suspect that means that it is an issue of cost and/or coverage. I would imagine that many hospitals may have gone with MOTO TRBO, since that seems to be the most common digital mode for non-public safety users. It makes sense, too, if you eliminated with requirement of inter-interoperability with outside users. They can have a MOTO TRBO talkgroup for security, one for facilities, one for janitors, etc.

Anyway, what do my fellow Minnesota members here think about this? What other locations around the state ought to be on ARMER, but haven't joined yet? Should private college/universities be using ARMER for campus security? I know the University Of Minnesota is a user. I think places like University Of Saint Thomas have an ARMER portable in the security office, but day to day communications are on their own radio system.

Patient dies after violent rampage at St. John

Ottawa shooting: RCMP, House security radios on different frequencies - Politics - CBC News

wogggieee

Premium Subscriber
I'd think they could set up an interop talkgroup on their MotoTrbo system that could patch to ARMER? If thats possible it seems like it would be a lot cheaper option than going full blown ARMER and it would also keep the public from subsidizing entire radio systems for private institutions.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Depending upon the type of radios they have, it is possible that they could program the own, private "home" system in their radios and also the ARMER system.

Not only would this be beneficial in the "rampage" situation, there are many other scenarios where hospital staff being connected to responders, beyond the typical ambulance to hospital call-ins. There could be mass casualty events, bio-terrorism events or some major emergency (such as a fire) at the hospital.

mmtstc

Ø
Premium Subscriber
https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/ecn/programs/armer/Documents/standard540.pdf
All hospitals can use ARMER for security, it is just a matter of their organization's commitment to participation. It is not cheap to use ARMER. My mobile portable radio costs my agency about $450 a year for service. Not all hospitals can afford the >$25000 it would take to outfit a proper security department with ARMER. MotoTRBO systems are a lot more palatable to the money crunchers.

JASII

Memory Capacity
Should All College/University Security In Minnesota Be On The ARMER System?

Thanks for posting that. That is a good find. I wonder if all college/university security, including private ones, are permitted on ARMER, too?

stmills

All Metro Hospitals have an ARMER radio specifically for disaster/ interoperability.
These are usually online in either security or the ERs. There are daily and monthly radio tests done on the system. Many have Inhouse amps for ARMER coverage(BDAs)
Security is the only function that can be on ARMER so if you switch security to ARMER you no longer have the link to other departments - many security department work closely with facilities and building and grounds departments.

SCPD

QRT
I would agree, how hard would it be to do a soft patch from the their own DMR system to ARMER so it's ready if there is a situation. I know it's a state deal, but if freekin Metro Mobility can use the system, hospital security should be able to patch or use it outright and paying all membership costs. Right now I believe it's just HCMC, and North Memorial that have their security solely on AMRER talkgroups and I never knew the reason for only those two.

Soft patching I think is the best way to go, hospital security can use their own system as much as they want and it won't contribute to added system usage on the Metro area sites. When an incident occurs, activate the patch on the designated interop channel and have at it.

While we are at it, anyone want to take a stab why Mall of America does not have some type of patch to ARMER for Bloomington PD?. The officers that work there carry two radios, the mall's LTR system and an AMRER one. If there were something to happen would be a great help in communications between MOA security and BPD. Maybe there is something in place that is unknown.

johnmoe1

Or why aren't there radios that support multiple systems?

I assume these hospitals all have good wifi coverage [the clinic/hospital I worked for in 2005 did]. Why aren't they using wifi VoIP? Somebody must make good wifi VoIP radios these days...

"$450 a year for service." ... The P25 phase 1 patents should all be expired, right? Why isn't somebody making a $50 P25 radio?

wesley2099

probelm

Here's the problem the hospital only had one security guard on duty at the time of the attack, and to add to that he didnt even get involved in the incident. So no i dont think st.johns needs to have a worthless security guard on the armer system so he can talk to himself and then maybe figure out how to change the channel to talk to police dispatch I think his cellphone would do just as good. Maybe they should use the money that it would cost in radios and hire a few more guards at decent pay.

Status
Not open for further replies.