OSP receive issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

wreck_chaser

Hello everyone, I run a Radio Shack pro-197 that I've had since last January. I live in Defiance County and can no longer hear OSP through any of the talk groups that have previously been active. However, I was able to find what I believe may be a CC of 851.7500, and it comes up as P25 NAC 2D6. I hear OSP being dispatched from Van Wert, Lucas County, Bowling Green, and Promedica traffic as well, all on this same frequency which seems to be extremely active. Now why on earth can't I hear OSP through the MARCS system, but every other agency works perfectly fine still? I use this scanner as a mobile setup, and have it paired with an NMO mounted antenna DRILLED into the roof the way all real antennas should be. Any ideas as to why I can't hear OSP anymore?

adacats

Scanner and Train Nerd
How long have you not been able to hear them? It is possible they are having transmitter issues. Are you listening to them through traditional MARCS, or the new MARCS-IP P25 system?

wreck_chaser

I am monitoring them through the old marcs. I did actually hear the Van Wert traffic today momentarily. If I listen from 851.7500 as a p25 conventional freq, I hear everything loud and clear. If I choose to monitor via the talkgroups, I rarely and almost never can hear them anymore.

phask

Premium Subscriber
I've seen nothing indicating ANY OPS on MARCS-IP yet. Understood that they were going to be one of the last to change and were doing it all at once, or as quickly as possible in first quarter 2015.

Anyone know any different??

They may be in the process of switching to the new MARCS-IP system. The old system is scheduled to be unplugged in March.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
I've seen nothing indicating ANY OPS on MARCS-IP yet.

They may have begun the switch. This is not confirmed but may be an explanation of the OPs problem. The OP is hearing them on P25 and no longer hearing them on MARCS.

The old system is to be unplugged in March 2015 which is only 4 months away.. I don't think they would wait until the last minute to start switching over. There are many many posts, vehicles, and portable radios involved.

I would suggest everyone listen to MARCS-IP for new talk groups.

Last edited:

fredva

Feed Provider
I am monitoring them through the old marcs. I did actually hear the Van Wert traffic today momentarily. If I listen from 851.7500 as a p25 conventional freq, I hear everything loud and clear. If I choose to monitor via the talkgroups, I rarely and almost never can hear them anymore.

Are you listening to 851.75 as P25 conventional or P25 trunking? If it's operating as a control channel, you would have to have it programmed in as part of a trunking system to hear conversations.

Larkin71

Premium Subscriber
They may have begun the switch. This is not confirmed but may be an explanation of the OPs problem. The OP is hearing them on P25 and no longer hearing them on MARCS.

The old system is to be unplugged in March 2015 which is only 4 months away.. I don't think they would wait until the last minute to start switching over. There are many many posts, vehicles, and portable radios involved.

I would suggest everyone listen to MARCS-IP for new talk groups.

Thanks for this explanation. I wonder if they have reduced power at this time. I can hear Van Wert OSP, as well as the posts from Wapak and Defiance in Celina, but not St Marys. Until recently, I could also hear Lima post and PIqua post but I didn't hear from them yesterday. Very interesting.

Larkin71

Premium Subscriber
For the original poster, I picked up OSP Van Wert this morning in the 7600 block of Clover Four road on Auglaize County.

ctpd845

Feed Provider
Remember, you will only hear a talkgroup if a radio on that talkgroup is affiliated with the tower you are listening to. This could explain why some of you only hear certain OSP talkgroups some of the time.

To the OP, it sounds like you are monitoring 851.7500 as a conventional channel, which would explain what you are hearing. 851,7500 is a voice channel on the Holgate MARCS site, which looks like the closest MARCS to you. The CC's for Holgate are 852.58750 and 853.82500, which you need to program in you scanner as a Motorola 800/900 system.

Also I can confirm the OSP posts the OP referred to are NOT operating on the P25 system, they are still on the old MARCS system.

phask

Premium Subscriber
Has it been updated to handle rebanding (if needed). It's sounding more like you have it programmed incorrectly.

budevans

Did you add the rebanding tables for the MARCS (Moto Type II) system?

It's a two step process for your scanner.
1. Select Custom Trunking Tables
2. From the Tables list, select 800 Mhz rebanded

Upload to your scanner.

wreck_chaser

ctpd845 you might be absolutely correct, and I think as a beginner to digital scanning, I may have too many sites programmed into mine. I have all control channels and alternate control channels programmed for every nearby site. I have the sites from holgate, continental, edgerton, westgate, and cannot remember the rest. And budevans, i did not add the rebanding tables into my scanner. Is that part of the firmware update I've been reading about? I cannot confirm if mine needs rebanded or not. I will look under my radios settings and see if that even appears. I dont recall ever seeing that. By the way, you all are very helpful and knowledgeable!

budevans

And budevans, i did not add the rebanding tables into my scanner. Is that part of the firmware update I've been reading about? I cannot confirm if mine needs rebanded or not. I will look under my radios settings and see if that even appears. I dont recall ever seeing that. By the way, you all are very helpful and knowledgeable!

The answer is, Yes you need to manually add the rebanding tables for MARCS (Moto Type II System) to work (find the correct channels). If you use software like WIN500 to manage your scanner (setup new systems, change frequencies, etc..), it's an easy update to apply to the MARCS system. Just two setting changes, then upload to your scanner.

If you are using a program to manage your scanner, post it's name. I'm sure there are folks monitoring this message thread that can give you the directions on making the change. If you are using WIN500 I'll be happy to send you a private message with the directions and a screen print.

The good news is the (new) MARCS-IP Project 25 system does not need to have the rebanded tables added. Project 25 Systems send out the rebanded tables over their Control Channels. The GRE/Whistler/Radio Shack scanners receive and load the rebanded channels into the scanner for that system.

wreck_chaser

Today I downloaded WIN500 and it had the new band plan available for me to upload to my scanner. It now works like a million bucks! I was able to do a few tweaks, and I think I nailed it. Now it works flawless!

Status
Not open for further replies.