Uniden repair send back a faulty unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

szron

So I had my 536 sent for the headphone issue... OK I understand that...

Then I sent in back just few weeks ago because the front USB wasn't working, the keys were laggy at times and it was making weird noises at car start.

I put all that information on the piece of paper with my address and telephone number. It took them a week after the unit was delivered to even acknowledge it on the online website. Calling Uniden? HEH! Prepare for at least 30 minutes of waiting.

So today I get my unit back and guess what. The front USB issue isn't fixed. It doesn't even show up on the repair order. All there is on the repair order is FLEXSTRIP, whatever that is.

What should I do... I really don't feel like spending money on ANOTHER insured package!!!

I mean I was frustrated about the features too but I WASNT THAT FRUSTRATED as I am now... I buy something for big money, I have to send it back for repairs and they don't even fix it.

Im on the phone right now, 10 minutes and counting, nobody picked up...

I think I'm done with Uniden seriously

wise871

Database Admin
Stories like this is one of the reasons I still haven't sent in any of my 536 for the headphone fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SCPD

QRT
Lagging could be the microSD card. I hope you are not using the original one they shipped with the unit ? Spend the $5 and buy a new one.

I have read about the 536 locking up on start up when in a vehicle. So maybe some reading here is in order.

Don't worry .. Uniden has bigger issues than just your repair to deal with. But I totally understand your frustration and why my 436HP is currently up for sale.

I will be the first one the say that the build quality of the new Uniden products are not what I am used to from them in the past. But that is just the way that things are .. people want cheap and cheap is what you get.

Made in China .. I am sure. :mad:

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider

Then I sent in back just few weeks ago because the front USB wasn't working, the keys were laggy at times and it was making weird noises at car start.

I put all that information on the piece of paper with my address and telephone number. It took them a week after the unit was delivered to even acknowledge it on the online website. Calling Uniden? HEH! Prepare for at least 30 minutes of waiting.

So today I get my unit back and guess what. The front USB issue isn't fixed. It doesn't even show up on the repair order. All there is on the repair order is FLEXSTRIP, whatever that is.

What should I do... I really don't feel like spending money on ANOTHER insured package!!!

I mean I was frustrated about the features too but I WASNT THAT FRUSTRATED as I am now... I buy something for big money, I have to send it back for repairs and they don't even fix it.

I too have had issues with Uniden's repair depot before, but I have to ask:

Have you installed the USB drivers from the wiki page?

Have you tried a better quality microSD card?

And radios making 'funny noises' when the vehicle they're connected to starts has been around for many decades...

So has problems with "customer service" phone lines, from almost every company in existence.. the fact that the "gethuman" website exists is a testament to that.

Before anyone decides to toss a 536 in the garbage, send it to me. I'll, ahem, dispose of it properly for you... :D

szron

Have you installed the USB drivers from the wiki page?
Yes, it worked, one day it stopped. Tried multiple computers. Nothing happens on the computer side. The computer doesn't see it at all.

Have you tried a better quality microSD card?
I have one I just purchased, will try. The problem is too inconsistent.

And radios making 'funny noises' when the vehicle they're connected to starts has been around for many decades...
Its more than a "funny noise". It's unbearable cracking/squeaking/hissing that happens when the scanner is decoding a Digital channel and I start my car. If you can't imagine how it sounds, imagine a fart being amplified and distorted. Yes it's that bad. Note that it only happens on digital

So has problems with "customer service" phone lines, from almost every company in existence.. the fact that the "gethuman" website exists is a testament to that.
I understand waiting. I don't understating waiting 30+ minutes.

Before anyone decides to toss a 536 in the garbage, send it to me. I'll, ahem, dispose of it properly for you... :D
I'm not tossing it in the garbage. After my long wait I got connected to customer rep. They gave me a fedex RMA so I didn't have to pay for shipping anymore. They said they will email the repair dept and tell them to fix it. I'll be back to report what happens.

nbarco

Premium Subscriber
I really recommend getting Square Trade extended warranties. Most of the time they refund the purchase price. So you can buy another. And they cover accidental spills damage

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Yes, it worked, one day it stopped. Tried multiple computers. Nothing happens on the computer side. The computer doesn't see it at all.

For what it's worth, I've had similar troubles with various devices (including multiple HP1s and my 436) on both of my computers, and had the devices 'come back' after I remove/uninstall the device in device manager. You may have to 'show disconnected devices' - I'm on my phone so I can't easily look up the procedure.

Its more than a "funny noise". It's unbearable cracking/squeaking/hissing that happens when the scanner is decoding a Digital channel and I start my car. If you can't imagine how it sounds, imagine a fart being amplified and distorted. Yes it's that bad. Note that it only happens on digital

Sounds like the DSP is shutting down from not getting enough power during cranking. I have seen similar problems with all kinds of radios including hammy rigs and pro radios. I fear the best you're going to get out of Uniden is 'turn the radio off while starting' - another fellow had issues with several radios some time back, and IIRC that's really the only solution.

szron

Sounds like the DSP is shutting down from not getting enough power during cranking. I have seen similar problems with all kinds of radios including hammy rigs and pro radios. I fear the best you're going to get out of Uniden is 'turn the radio off while starting' - another fellow had issues with several radios some time back, and IIRC that's really the only solution.
I really don't care that the scanner resets on cranking. Whatever... the noise is what's driving me nuts.

forums manager

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
I've deleted the train of discussion about committing fraud. I do not want to see suggestions like that again.

szron

I did received an email and Customer Service was responsive. We'll see what happens once it gets fixed.

szron

UPDATE!

Today Uniden has shipped my SRO. As per their system they just Exchanged it for a new unit. I guess that's the path of least resistance.

stingray327

20 years ago their customer service was terrible on the phone. They didn't answer or put you on hold forever. It's 2014 and that hasn't changed?

Status
Not open for further replies.