• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Cobra 29 antenna light

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccriley6

Brand new cobra 29 NW classic, new firestik 2 4' antenna, 18' of mini 8 coax.
My swr is 1.4 on channel 1,20,and 40 ( according to the built in meter) and when i key up the mic, the antenna light comes on. Is this normal?
TIA

FKimble

I thought that was what the light was supposed to do. What does the paperwork that came with it say?

XTS3000

The ANT warning light needs to be calibrated to stop the light from coming on. Current Cobra 29's are junk vs the ones built just a few years ago. Current C29's have horrible receivers, underrated MOSFET final. The final used is an AF MOSFET, not a RF MOSFET!

So either return the radio, or take it to a qualified CB shop to have the ANT warning light calibrated. Some 29's can not be calibrated, cobra removed the adjustment pot and replaced it with a fixed resistor on some production runs.

You may want to keep you eyes for a older used cobra 29. The best recent batches of cobra 29's came out in 2004 and 2009. Those are the two years Cobra 29's were built solid and didn't have cheap garbage parts used in manufacturing.

2000-2004 - decent radios
2005-2008 - bad front controls
2009 - fixed bad front controls
2010-current - radios took a huge performance hit for receive and over all quality build.

Cobra 29's used to be a mid tiered CB, but cobra has cheapened these Cobra 29's to the point they perform no better than a cheap low tiered $29.99 CB.

ccriley6

I thought that was what the light was supposed to do. What does the paperwork that came with it say?

Paper work that came with it doesnt say much about the light other than "check antenna when light comes on". A big help that is.....LOL

ccriley6

The ANT warning light needs to be calibrated to stop the light from coming on. Current Cobra 29's are junk vs the ones built just a few years ago. Current C29's have horrible receivers, underrated MOSFET final. The final used is an AF MOSFET, not a RF MOSFET!

So either return the radio, or take it to a qualified CB shop to have the ANT warning light calibrated. Some 29's can not be calibrated, cobra removed the adjustment pot and replaced it with a fixed resistor on some production runs.

You may want to keep you eyes for a older used cobra 29. The best recent batches of cobra 29's came out in 2004 and 2009. Those are the two years Cobra 29's were built solid and didn't have cheap garbage parts used in manufacturing.

2000-2004 - decent radios
2005-2008 - bad front controls
2009 - fixed bad front controls
2010-current - radios took a huge performance hit for receive and over all quality build.

Cobra 29's used to be a mid tiered CB, but cobra has cheapened these Cobra 29's to the point they perform no better than a cheap low tiered $29.99 CB.

Whats the best "out of the box" radio nowadays?
Who is a trustworthy cb guru i could send this to check it over and repair/upgrade/tune it?

XTS3000

Seeing as your receiving 90% or more of the time, a good receiver is first and foremost.

The Galaxy 949 & 959 still have great receivers. This radio is built on the EPT6900 board design, which is very good.

The Texas Ranger 296 is another good radio with great receive as well. This radio is built from the original Cobra 148GTL design that made the 148 so popular for decades. (Ranger copied the 148GTL design to make the 296)

Don't even think about a new Cobra 148!

I'd love to recommend a Cobra, Uniden, Midland radio, however they all honestly stink now days. Their quality is so shabby, these companies should be ashamed for cutting so many corners trying to make them as cheap as possible.

Competition is so fierce in the shrinking CB market, manufactures are doing everything they can do to make their radios cheaper to compete for your money.

Oldme

Yes you read it right.

That short of time will not hurt anything.
That is the only practical way for the owner to get the light
go on / off to adjust it.

You are really only talking seconds here.

ccriley6

Yes you read it right.

That short of time will not hurt anything.
That is the only practical way for the owner to get the light
go on / off to adjust it.

You are really only talking seconds here.

Ok, thanks.
Once i check my swr with the astatic meter to verify my swr, i will give that a try
Can it be turned by hand or do i need a special tool?

ccriley6

well, had a new 12' mini 8 coax laying in the back seat of truck and was piddling today.
I mocked up the new coax and......no antenna light when keying up. I admit, the old coax i was using was ran through the bottom of the door (pinched)....i know thats a no no but i was short on time (without disassembling the interior) and learned my lesson. funny how i still read a decent swr on my cobra tho...

Ive talked myself into a permanent roof mount so i think im gonna ditch the firestik.

Oldme

Cool.

Many times the littlest things will cause the biggest problems.
Glad you got it working.

If you can use the larger coax it is even better.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
NMO is my preferred mount for roofs. Commercial FM low band (Larsen NMO 27 for example) antennas work great and are usually 4 ft tall or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.