Scanning Southern Maine/NH

Status
Not open for further replies.

8Lug

Been reading/searching RR for almost a year now and think I've decided to take the jump into buying my 1st Uniden Scanner. I live in Southern Maine but right on the border of NH. After looking through the Databases for my area, most seem to be FM, FMN, and (a few) P25 mode with most frequency's in the 150.xxx range.

So my thoughts have been the HP-1 until the HP-2 was introduced. This might be 'overkill' for my scanning needs but better to have and not nned then to not have at all.

So the questions:
1) HP-2 a good choice for my needs/wants?
2) Extreme upgrade (not 100% what it's all about) worth it?
3) I'm soley a MAC user, so will the Sentinal download work for me? (not great with computer uploading/downloading) Would I even need it?
4) Another radio better for me?

Thanks for any help.

Bmacs

Premium Subscriber
Scanning SoNH/SoME

8Lug,

I live in Northeast MA and listen in on all of southern NH and southern ME. I have both the BCD396XT portable and the BCD996XT base radios. I recently purchased a 536HP as well. Since we don't have any P-25 Phase 2 systems around, the best bang for your buck would be the 996XT for a base radio, or the 396 for a handheld. The x96XT series decodes NH SP and all of the local P25 users perfectly and are far cheaper than the 536HP.

My $.02.... let me know if you have any other questions...

Bill

8Lug

8Lug,

I live in Northeast MA and listen in on all of southern NH and southern ME. I have both the BCD396XT portable and the BCD996XT base radios. I recently purchased a 536HP as well. Since we don't have any P-25 Phase 2 systems around, the best bang for your buck would be the 996XT for a base radio, or the 396 for a handheld. The x96XT series decodes NH SP and all of the local P25 users perfectly and are far cheaper than the 536HP.

My $.02.... let me know if you have any other questions...

Bill

Thanks for the reply Bill. I'll have to look at those radios. I didn't think there where any P25 Phase 2 systems around but didn't know If I should be looking ahead. I def. like how simplistic the HP 1 and 2 are just being able to input a zip and the big easy to see screen.

lost_in_maine

Been reading/searching RR for almost a year now and think I've decided to take the jump into buying my 1st Uniden Scanner. I live in Southern Maine but right on the border of NH. After looking through the Databases for my area, most seem to be FM, FMN, and (a few) P25 mode with most frequency's in the 150.xxx range.

So my thoughts have been the HP-1 until the HP-2 was introduced. This might be 'overkill' for my scanning needs but better to have and not nned then to not have at all.

So the questions:
2) Extreme upgrade (not 100% what it's all about) worth it?
3) I'm soley a MAC user, so will the Sentinal download work for me? (not great with computer uploading/downloading) Would I even need it?

Thanks for any help.

The extreme upgrade on my HP-1 has helped me verify a few sites for MSCOMMNET..it's there, haven't used it lately..on sale now for 49 bucks..i paid 99 a few years ago
found this in a forum search regarding question # 3
http://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-thread-archives/282304-how-install-uniden-sentinel-mac.html

Status
Not open for further replies.