• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

KVL question

Status
Not open for further replies.

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
I can't post in the tavern due to the mods otherwise I would have posted this in the Off topic Wireless sub forum. I have a question about KVLs (Key variable Loaders) and just want the low down on why you need to use a separate piece of equipment to upload an encryption key to a radio? Why can't you just use the CPS (software that programs the radio) to add an encryption key? I guess it might have something to do with FIPS, but without going through technical jargon and such I just want a simple answer. I have looked though Google and have read patents and other sites and couldn't find my answer. However, I did find a really nice PDF on encryption that was created by a user over at batlabs back in 2006. I can't find the original link, but I uploaded the PDF to my Dropbox. https://www.dropbox.com/s/yihtzvk371j75uv/encryption.pdf?dl=0

TIA for answers on KVLs. :)

n0nhp

Physical Security.
As we all know, software and the hardware to program radios can be found without much problem. An entity that uses a KVL will have that piece of hardware (it is very small) entrusted to only certain personnel. The installer, the mechanic and the bench tech are not going to have physical access to the device. They also can not grab the "code plug" and drop it on a thumb drive.
They were originally designed that way for the three letter agencies and just like computer security, no physical access = security.

Bruce

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Thread moved to Industry Discussion since this has nothing to do with Colorado.

Lower forms of encryption such as Motorola's ADP can be programmed through CPS.

RAD909

Why not use software vs a KVL....answer is

In answer to your question: "Why can't you just use the CPS (software that programs the radio) to add an encryption key?"

"Keyloader" (KVL - Key Variable Loader) is used in the more advanced forms of encryption; DEA and AES. DES and AES encryption is used by law enforcement, intelligence agencies, military operations, etc.

Bottom line is, software is not used because there is no possible way to control the distribution and use of a software program. Since access to the KVL device constitutes potential access to the entire system, these devices are not available to the general public, and are closely guarded at radio shops, or government agencies, where they reside. The manufacturers of radios using KVLs usually require some assurance and tracking of where the KVL devices are being used and what security is in place at the location of use. It's all about security and access.

sfd119

I can buy a KVL on ebay...

Just 'cuz you have a KVL, doesn't mean you instantly get the key. The reason for a KVL is I can place it in a safe and control who has access to that device. That way, I know how is getting the Encryption key and when.

All about security.

mancow

Database Admin
A racal25 will allow programming of des and aes via the software. Good luck finding batteries.

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
The KVL is a civilian version of a military key fill device called a KY, and there are many versions that are used. You sign for you keys from the key authority,(it could be anyone from the base commander to the local radio shop) and then they are loaded into your keyfill device. You are, or more correctly your keyfill is used to disseminate these keys in your command, and you the signor are responsible for those keys and their dissemination. All traceable back to you and your fill device, which you are responsible to keep safe.
The civilian KVL can generate those keys that you put in. They have to follow a specific plan usually based on HEX coding so there are no duplicate sequential numbers or letters, as that can cause problems during decoding. Anybody can create keys, just not the ones you don't own unless you want to spend a LOT of time running random numbers to come up with someone else's keys. From there they can be disseminated and or transfered into another KVL or the end radio or device.
Again just because you have a KVL your not going to be able to load someone else's key unless you know the numbers and or letters.

Status
Not open for further replies.