TriMet Police and Fare Inspectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hearken

Premium Subscriber
Does the Transit Police and Fare Inspectors sit on a Trunking System, here in the Portland area? I have been riding the Trains over the last couple of weeks and have seen some major individuals in groups get busted for not paying for there fares and they are using two way radios but by the time a person gets the 396xt out to close call the group, the train is moving out of the area. I have noticed a group on the new P25 system "1779" that are asking for background checks on individuals, but don't know who it is. Just wondering.

OregonScanner

Premium Subscriber
I am also curious what they use. Technically TriMet Transit Police is actually a specialty detail within the Portland Police Bureau. Their patrol cars are just PPB cruisers with "Transit Police" on them instead of "Portland Police." Do they use the regular PPB dispatch nets or do they have a special talkgroup?

rosecitytransit

Feed Provider
I believe the transit police tend to stay on a home police channel (maybe the one for the territory they're currently in or the one they came from) until they're on an incident and the officer wishes to communicate directly with TriMet. They have 17xx call signs and come from many of the agencies in the metro area.

For routine TriMet Code enforcement (which includes fares and other rules), the R-Check channel gets used to check an individual's TriMet citation/exclusion history. It is talk group 28464 on the Portland analog system, which maps to 1779 on TriMet's 700mHz system.

Regarding "who", the channel is staffed by either a bus dispatcher or rail controller. It is used by TriMet rail supervisors (95xx), bus supervisors (91xx), fare inspectors (94xx) and police officers, transit or not.

Lastly, note that code enforcers don't just work the "fare missions" where riders are checked en masse and that supervisors are required to do enforcement, so they may appear randomly.

pdx911

Dispatcher
Yea they are 1750-1799 unit numbers and use whatever primary police talkgroup (east dispatch, north, mcso, ccom law 1, etc etc) that they are geographically located in generally. And service desk / net8 for wants checks. the other talkgroup doesn't sound familiar to me, so it must be trimet specific like rosecitytransit mentioned. they do also, as mentioned, also interface with trimet bus dispatch / light rail control directly too, but that isn't how they are actually dispatched to events. that generally comes thru the 911 system.

transit police isn't specifically a portland police detail, all the major metropolitan police departments have officers assigned to the transit system, but all of the cars look like the portland police car, but like mentioned above say "transit police" on them instead.

oregontreehugger

Premium Subscriber
transit police isn't specifically a portland police detail, all the major metropolitan police departments have officers assigned to the transit system, but all of the cars look like the portland police car, but like mentioned above say "transit police" on them instead.

^^This^^. Beat me to it. Lots of involved agencies.

OregonScanner

Premium Subscriber

Thanks for the clarification. I kind of forgot for a second that TriMet is Tri-County and not just Multnomah Co lol.

omlbed

Premium Subscriber
according to this document:
http://www.portlandonline.com/auditor/index.cfm?a=384649&c=57854
see page 4:
"The Transit Division is a multi-agency task force assigned to patrol the Tri-Met public transit system. Currently, the Division is commanded by a PPB Commander, and has one PPB Lieutenant, four PPB Sergeants, and 15 PPB Officers. In addition to the Police Bureau, the Multnomah, Washington, and Clackamas County Sheriff’s Offices and Beaverton, Gresham, Tualain, West Linn, Milwaukie, Forest Grove, Troutdale, Fairview, Sherwood, Oregon City, and Port of Portland Police Departments and the Federal Transportation Safety Administration all participate in the Transit Division."

Status
Not open for further replies.