News media scanning

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Each news organization makes its own decisions about what brand(s) of equipment to use.

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
As another member said, it depends on what they decide to buy. There's no standard.

There are stations in my area that use just Uniden, or Radio Shack, or GRE, or a combination of them. Some of them use the very latest models, some are very old.

Some use the scanners as-is and some connect to computers and use remote control software. Even some stations lease transmit inhibited radios from public safety agencies.

Stavro35

It's against the law for them to use the information they hear for their own personal gain. It's because of them that we're facing more and more agencies encrypting.

stingray327

As another member said, it depends on what they decide to buy. There's no standard.

There are stations in my area that use just Uniden, or Radio Shack, or GRE, or a combination of them. Some of them use the very latest models, some are very old.

Some use the scanners as-is and some connect to computers and use remote control software. Even some stations lease transmit inhibited radios from public safety agencies.

I looked into one news media van and saw a Uniden it looked old. Of course they have every kind of antenna on the roof of van.
Just curious is all cause they have to have the best equipment for quick responses.

tampabaynews

Keeping your PIO busy
Premium Subscriber
It's against the law for them to use the information they hear for their own personal gain. It's because of them that we're facing more and more agencies encrypting.

Not one media outlet has ever been challenged on the matter. They've been using scanners for news leads for decades. The benefit to the community is huge. You should probably continue this in the rants section.

I looked into one news media van and saw a Uniden it looked old. Of course they have every kind of antenna on the roof of van.
Just curious is all cause they have to have the best equipment for quick responses.

Not always. I reprogrammed a scanner for a media outlet after they complained about not hearing a particular agency in a while. That agency changed systems TWO YEARS prior. Depends on the outlet, but most newsrooms are stretched so thin, no one can pay attention to them anymore.

bailly2

when the city of trenton, nj moved to a proprietary motorola astro system that no scanner can receive and no computer program i know of can decode, the city offered to sell some radios and the encryption keys to the 2 local newspapers.

MississippiPI

Premium Subscriber
I am a former assignment editor for a local station here in Jackson, MS. We used whatever was on the market to monitor to the calls--the 3 stations here use different but most of em have capability of monitoring the calls..

Be Safe

OregonJourno

Not always. I reprogrammed a scanner for a media outlet after they complained about not hearing a particular agency in a while. That agency changed systems TWO YEARS prior. Depends on the outlet, but most newsrooms are stretched so thin, no one can pay attention to them anymore.

This is totally the truth. Doesn't matter whether it's broadcast or print — budgets for local news outlets are so lean that newsroom scanners are often pushing 10 years old. You'll find some stringer photographers in large metro areas that have elaborate setups, but things are a little different for full-time staff outside of the super large markets. I was surprised when my last employer was willing to pay for a new base and portables — a lot of small newsrooms just listen to the Broadcastify feeds.

canav844

There's a TV station near me that starts off most breaking news stories with "According to scanner traffic. .." at which point I shut off the news and turn on the scanners.

CNN is pretty good about listing on screen when audio is pulled from the online feeds.

stingray327

I have heard the news crew do interviews and retakes as well as fly around in aircraft and drive vehicles in traffic to give traffic reports. You could get the info faster than the news station could get it out over the air.
It was a great way to avoid traffic congested areas or to find out why traffic is not moving.

f2shooter

The last newspaper I worked for had an HT on loan from the police dept. We were able to keep up with breaking events although I doubt we had access to all of the channels. We also could hear fire dept. traffic. The relationship between the paper and the Chief was not good but we knew more than a few beat officers and others that would fill us in. Interestingly our newsroom HT would not transmit inhibited, it was fully functional. We found that out the hard way when the publishers kids got a hold of it VERY briefly. We could have spent the money on a digital scanner but no one there knew anything about radios.

Otis

KC2YSI

Premium Subscriber
I have about 15 stringers in the tri-state (NY,NJ,CT) area using my software to monitor. Most users use it to monitor streaming feeds. One that I know personally has 5 scanners in his truck with the software connected to all of them. It makes it easier to see who it is that is talking.

ecps92

Sorry, but so so wrong in your statement. :roll:

The Media has been using Scanners back to the days of Crystals and tunables to get info for their stories.

As for what they use, I know Media folks who have Commercial Gear, in addition to Scanners to monitor the agencies they cover.
It all varies, and even some of the personnel have been known to SPEC out their choice of equipment for their new vehicles vs having
the company make the descisions

f2shooter

It's true that at the end of the day they use some of everything. It's how I got into scanning just for fun. My first photo department had an 8 channel Bearcat with red LED's and crystals. I thought it was cool and still have one in use. My first personal scanner was a 4 channel Radio Shack unit and I thought I had all the channels I would ever need. Wish I could find one working now. Newsrooms have always been on a budget and usually get whatever they can as long as it doesn't cost much but gets the job done. They run them til the smoke comes out.

Otis

jack103

Premium Subscriber
Check out the movie now showing Nightcrawler,it shows a great setup of Uniden and GRE digital rigs.

Status
Not open for further replies.