RG58 suitable for a 100 foot run?

Status
Not open for further replies.

APSN556

Premium Subscriber
HF receive only. Running from the roof to office 100 feet. Will RG58 be ok, or should fork out the extra cash for LMR-400?

chekoz77

Premium Subscriber
You could also throw a line amp in there to make up for some of the loss.
But if you have the extra change for the LMR-400 I would go with that. You never know what you might add down the road.

mitbr

You could also throw a line amp in there to make up for some of the loss.
But if you have the extra change for the LMR-400 I would go with that. You never know what you might add down the road.

Actually that's a good point the better the coax the better it holds up in the weather as well.

ridgescan

My experience here- in my high RFI environment, I saw a significant noise drop in the HF bands between my previous rg8x and my current lmr240 and this is a 25' run. I personally wouldn't even think of 58-I view 58 as ok for super short stuff like auto apps such as CB or patch runs.
You would be pretty happy with lmr240. Not as fat as 400 but at HF basically the same attributes, and hardline, and buryable too.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
I think the OP would see an improvement by running LMR400 over RG-58. The difference in loss is insignificant at HF, but the better shielding might do better at keeping some noise out.

RC286

If you are using the antenna across a wide range of frequencies, decent quality RG-6 makes for amazing low loss feedline for receiving antennas and its cheap and easily available nearly anywhere. Good from DC to around 2.4-3Ghz depending on the manufacturer.
Don't worry too much about the impedance match for a receiving antenna that isn't tuned for a specific frequency. The impedance on the antenna will vary widely from one frequency to the next.
I have RG-6 feeding my 45ft longwire antenna through a 9:1 Bal-Un and have very good results from 100khz - 900Mhz (i don't do much listening above 1Ghz).

mancow

Database Admin
+1 on the RG-6. That's what I use for my LowBand receive antenna and also the log periodic Vhf-Uhf antenna. It works great, is cheap and is easy to work with.

joeuser

The Wretched
I'll be using RG-6 with my next two runs. I use RG-8X quad shielded for a run into & around a high RFI environment. Lots of PC's, printers, servers, switches, routers, etc. If you have a lot of noisy electronics consider a good shielded coax, otherwise RG-6 is decent enough.

nanZor

RG-6 is a good choice - still, depending on the antenna if it is unbalanced or inadequately RF-grounded, (a DC-safety ground is different!) the outer skin of the shield becomes part of the antenna system. You may want to consider a 1:1 rf choke somewhere in the line, like an MFJ-915 at the low cost end.

BaofengScanner

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Yeah just go for RG6 you can get it for a decent price at 100. I use LMR600 because I have a real OCD issue about getting maximum reception. Starting to get tempted to use some thick hardline coax now.

APSN556

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the replies. So I still have the rg58 100 run, but the amount of qrm from switchers, lights, plasma tvs, and suck it coming into the line is ridiculous. With that said, should I go with a quad shield Rg6 or the LMR240? I dont think LMR400 is feasible because of its thickness...it might hinder the small rotator I have at the base of the loop.

SCPD

QRT
I'd go with LMR240 personally with proper connectors. Do not use any adapters.

Hate to burst your bubble but RFI won't run away because of your coax choice. You could install 7/8" hardline and you'll still hear noise.

You have to either move away from the noise source or kill the source of the noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.