NXDN

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbord

Premium Subscriber
I want to get a radio for monitoring the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic RR as they have gone digital nxdn. The way I understand nxdn is that you have to know what code they are using, not sure if code is the correct word. If this is so how do you obtain the code for this railroad as well as others.

Thanks, Don

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
If it's encrypted, you won't be able to monitor it without obtaining the encryption key.

If not, you'll still have issues. NXDN is not directly supported by ANY scanner on the market. You'll need to get a scanner, add a discriminator tap (The Uniden 536 has this marked marked on its circuit board, but you'll have to solder your own connector to it), and then feed the discriminator tap output into a computer running DSD+ or some other decoding app to convert the output into analog audio.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Which radio do you have?

You need to set up the frequency. You need to set the RAN to 0. If you have a Kenwood, you will likely need to set the channel to "Very Narrow", rather than "Narrow".
That should do it if their signal is strong enough for you to hear. If they are encrypted, then you'll either need to get the code from them, or spend a lot of time searching. I'd find it interesting, though, that a "Scenic" railroad would have a need to use encryption.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I'd find it interesting, though, that a "Scenic" railroad would have a need to use encryption.
Because they are using radio to handle customer service issues that they don't want the public to know about?

Because the operators are trying to keep their train movements as secret as possible to avoid service disruptions cause by "foamers" lining the tracks and crowding the stations?

Because the OP thinks they've gone digital and encrypted or maybe have only gone digital when they've actually only gone narrow-band?

Last edited:

slapshot0017

No rail operation in the country has gone encrypted as to my knowledge. 1 in Michigan went trunked and some Class 1 police went encrypted, but that's a completely different story. I think he is just confused because I have found some people to confuse digital with encryption and vice versa for some reason. The OP was merely asking about the RAN Code as some railroads would use a PL tones when they used analog. The shortline I work on uses NXDN Very Narrow, but we don't have a RAN Code nor encryption because it just isn't necessary... Scenic railroads thrive off of rail fans and most don't really care about radio traffic anyway just the trains themselves...

dbord

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the reply, I knew there was some kind of code but didn't know the correct wording.

W3DMV

In late September, my brother, (truck driver) stayed over night in the area and his scanner notes
indicate they were using NFM when he was taking a snooze break. Their license indicates both
NFM and NXDN as almost all railroads do these days, but he says they were on NFM.
The current license : WQFC502
160.305 *
160.845 *
-----
* active

com501

Um, I wouldn't state that there isn't a single railroad using encryption, I know of THREE using P25-AES, but they are not in areas that the general public can access the tracks, but they DO employ FRA trained and union personnel for the job, and strangely, they are regulated by the FRA......

That being said, a scenic railroad with no interchange to an outside line would be under no obligation of interoperability, and could, if they chose, operate encrypted. Indeed unlikely, but a good business practice, nonetheless.

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
That being said, a scenic railroad with no interchange to an outside line would be under no obligation of interoperability, and could, if they chose, operate encrypted. Indeed unlikely, but a good business practice, nonetheless.

^^^This^^^

slapshot0017

Um, I wouldn't state that there isn't a single railroad using encryption, I know of THREE using P25-AES, but they are not in areas that the general public can access the tracks, but they DO employ FRA trained and union personnel for the job, and strangely, they are regulated by the FRA......

Ugh what?

PJH

Premium Subscriber
I was the one who changed the DB listing after someone visited and noted no analog traffic on the established channels. I left it in limbo for local confirmation. Local guy stated they are using NXDN now. How they are using it, no idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.