• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola Radius GM300 to VHF 2 Meter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tangobravo

Hi Guys,
I am seeking your assistance on configuring Motorola Radius GM300 VHF radio to 2 meter ham. I have used a windows base software and configure eight frequencies so far, TX is ok but no Rx there is a jumper that link pin 15 and 16 on the accessory connector which enable the internal speaker to work which in place.

Thanks in advance for your help
Cheers
Tangobravo

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
Hi Guys,
I am seeking your assistance on configuring Motorola Radius GM300 VHF radio to 2 meter ham. I have used a windows base software and configure eight frequencies so far, TX is ok but no Rx there is a jumper that link pin 15 and 16 on the accessory connector which enable the internal speaker to work which in place.

Thanks in advance for your help
Cheers
Tangobravo
Tons of info on this radio at Batwing Laboratories and Welcome to Repeater Builder Dot Com including the 2 meter ham hack.

cmdrwill

Did you get the power on beep in the speaker when you turned on the GM300?

Did the radio work before?

KC8ESL

Premium Subscriber
My vote is for a bad speaker. I've recently obtained about 30 of these GM300/Max300 radios. Seems to be a common issue among them - bad speaker. I haven't found a source for a speaker yet mainly due to lack of trying but if I temporarily replace the faceplate with another radio's faceplate that has a known good speaker, it does work. My point is that it probably isn't the audio amp inside the radio.

Can you attempt to use an external speaker from the back 16 pin connector? I believe you would use pins 1 (EXT SPKR -) and 16 (EXT SPKR +) but double check a pinout before you hook anything up.

The Definitive Guide to the 16 pin MaxTrac series Option Connector

Tangobravo

Hi Guys,
Thanks for responding to my post. First of all the speaker was tested ok, also when I turn on the power the radio beeps as mention and when I press the monitor button I get a carrier in the speaker but no rx audio on that freq.

KC8ESL

Premium Subscriber
Dumb question, but it should be asked. Are you sure 100% that your tx and rx freqs are correct?

SCPD

QRT
I'll bet these radios have been in a dusty or dirty environment.
It's not a speaker issue. It's the radio.
After they get dirty inside, they don't want to receive. Have had many GM300's do this.
I've had about 66% success rate just taking them apart, and blowing all the dirt/dust/grime/etc out of them. Make them look squeaky clean, best you can. Go ahead and take the metal covers off inside the radio for the different stages, you'll see what I'm talking about, clean it out real good.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
So you can get the radio to completely unsquelch but you can't hear any traffic? Another dumb question, it's there any on frequency traffic to listen to? You might post the programming from radio doctor while you are at it.

Were you wanting to try the cqodeplug for this radio M03GMC10D2AA?

Another question, what frequencies are you trying to listen too? Motorola RSS starts giving warnings once you get below 146 MHz, it's not completely unheard of to need to re-align a receiver that was setup for higher in the band by a shop at one point or another.

Last edited:

Tangobravo

Wyandotte, you are correct this radio was in a dirty environment. I will do a thorough clean up
and check it again.

W5PKY, the rx frequency is in the 144 range.

petnrdx

Depending on where it was originally, you may need to adjust the VCO voltage to lock down in 144.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Depending on where it was originally, you may need to adjust the VCO voltage to lock down in 144.

From the description I was guessing a high split VHF radio (seems to be the most common). Though, I've never had issues with a factory 146-174 split Maxtrac/Radius not locking down on 144 (though generally the only thing I run that low is APRS beaconing on 144.39).

Status
Not open for further replies.