Norfolk Police Ride Along

Status
Not open for further replies.

K9DUO

What are you trying to find?
My suggestion is you dont touch anything in the car or you might get booted out.

KB7MIB

25+ years ago when I did a series of ride alongs with my local PD, at least one of the cars had a index card on the visor that let the officer know what was programmed into the two radios (1 UHF for their agency and some mutual aid agencies and 1 VHF-Hi for other mutual aid agencies and the regional fire dispatch) they had at the time.
With the potential for hundreds of channels now, it's possible that they have a booklet available to them to let the officers know what is programmed into their radios.
I would suggest asking the officer, rather than trying to spin the dial while the officer is outside the car, which could end your ride along real quick.

John
Peoria, AZ

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
Has anybody ever done a ride along with Norfolk, gonna try and take a peek through the radio

Maybe I'm the one reading this incorrectly, but I think the OP is just using "peek through the radio" as a figure of speech. He probably wants to see what happens on the other end of what he listens to.

SCPD

QRT
Not a bad choice. You can learn from a ride along of law enforcement perspective. As for playing with things prob a big no no unless asking first to see.

LeSueurC

IBEW Local 50
Premium Subscriber
Considering I know a number of officers on the force,"just take a peek through the radio", is both literal and a figure of speech, I'll probably end up asking if I can take a peek through it and maybe even get a copy of their radio handbook. But I mean absolutely no harm intended.

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
Norfolk Police Ride along

They still do these? last time I even heard of or seen this was on the Simpson's when BART got sentenced to ride along with Lou and Eddie.

wtp

here too

i took a citizens police academy class with the county and after it you get a ride along.
i also thought of going through the radio, but knew better.
the radio itself said "DISPATCH 3" and he used his portable for everything else.

LeSueurC

IBEW Local 50
Premium Subscriber
Pretty sure Norfolk still does Ride alongs, I hear them on the radio giving their logon info and tell the dispatcher they have a ride along, I would also think that if they have ride along application's they still do them

K9DUO

What exactly are you looking for? There is nothing in their radios that you can't find on Radio Reference.

LeSueurC

IBEW Local 50
Premium Subscriber
I disagree with that, their is stuff in the radios that is not in the Database, when I got a chance to talk with Portsmouth firefighter and asked about his radio he let me scroll through it, and their were items that were not in the database such as FD Direct, FD Repeater. I would imagine Norfolk's is the same

Dafe1er

Off in a far away place, far from u.......
I disagree with that, their is stuff in the radios that is not in the Database, when I got a chance to talk with Portsmouth firefighter and asked about his radio he let me scroll through it, and their were items that were not in the database such as FD Direct, FD Repeater. I would imagine Norfolk's is the same

I second this comment. I was able to see the new Spotsylvania radios and they have the same thing going on with there radios. It had a few channels I never seen on their EDACS system. So yeah, RR only has freq's for what is turned into the to list in the DB. This is why we need to scan for these new system coming up soon.

K9DUO

Pretty sure Norfolk still does Ride alongs, I hear them on the radio giving their logon info and tell the dispatcher they have a ride along, I would also think that if they have ride along application's they still do them

A lot of times it could be a police chaplain, dispatcher, student or intern. Not sure if they still do civilian ride a longs anymore. Especially with the fact that people are shooting at cops more then ever now.

Status
Not open for further replies.