ADS-B Scanning in New York?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wysockig

Premium Subscriber
I have been serving ADS-B data to FlightRadar24 for over a year now. I'm 30 minutes south of KBUF (and unfortunately at the bottom of a valley which limits my range a bit). I originally had a MicroADSb receiver hooked to my CentOS IRLP server but have found the RTL/SDR had way better sensitivity and range so I now serve data to FR24 from a RTL/SDR hooked to a dedicated RaspberryPI via dump1080 and the FR24 linux feeder.

N2WLS

vannossc

Premium Subscriber
I'm just north west of Albany in Saratoga County so I get quite a bit of fly by traffic it seems from Europe to east coast destinations. Been looking at this for a while and was almost ready to pull the triggeron a dedicated receiver but decided to give the $15 NooElec dongle a try. Using Dump1090 / PlanePlotter on an everyday laptop to get acquainted with how this all works. I'm feeding FA and FR24 but can't seem to get RadarBox working. FR24 is quirky too. I have a few Raspberry PIs laying around from previous endevours. I may make one up for work location (on final for KSCH - home of the C-130 polar treking Air Guard aircraft that's in the news every now and then).

Antenna improvement is my next step. I have my dongle connected to an all-band scanner antenna (multi-radial) up about 25ft. I'm hoping one of the radials is around 116 mm but whatever. I easily pull in aircraft from 150-200 nm. With a good collinear antenna (Coaxial Collinear Antenna for ADS-B) up on the roof I hope to get 200-250 with good message rates.

Dedicated laptop or Rpi is next. This software kills this laptop...

This is me

https://flightaware.com/adsb/stats/user/vannossc

D

DaveNF2G

The PlanePlotter network is supported by more hobbyists than the others. Some PP users also feed the other networks as secondary.

vannossc

Premium Subscriber
The PlanePlotter network is supported by more hobbyists than the others. Some PP users also feed the other networks as secondary.

That's an understatement. There's seemingly dozens of forum sites with multiple PP experts with add-ons, etc. Excellent support but a lot of "noise" to work through. Rewarding when it all comes together.

gralston73

Premium Subscriber
I monitor ADS-B with an SDR R820T by NooElec using RTL1090. My antenna is the ADS-B Blade produced by DPD Productions. It far out performs the little antenna that came with the dongle. I currently do not feed any sites...

D

DaveNF2G

I have the indoor DPD blade in the attic and it is excellent! I have used the ANRB, MicroADSB, ModeS Beast, and RTL-SDR stick with DUMP1090. The Beast has been the best, although right now I have a port traffic jam problem with it. I think the computer it's on is just too slow for it.

I'm also building a non-sharing PP setup for mobile use around an all-SDR design, to include ADS-B, ACARS, HFDL and VDL-2.

My next big project will be a RPi- and Arduino-based direction finding array that will plot aircraft on a map during voice transmissions.

Status
Not open for further replies.