Wondering about New York public safety system

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
I am from Canada and was looking at what major city's have for trunked systems . Almost all I have looked at have trunked systems ( mine has edacs going over to a P25 p1 system soonish).

When looking over new York city it seems its just a collection of simplex FM with some P25 here and there . Is that really the case or am I overlooking something ?

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
New York City has quite the gamut of systems. NYPD operates a bunch of UHF T Band frequencies for patrol, citywide services. FDNY is on both VHF and UHF, but I believe are transitioning to UHF. Check out New York City in the database. Lots to listen to in the city

sefrischling

Public Information Officer
PAPD is on EDACS

NYSP in NYC is on the Metro P25 trunked system, I believe the SIRR PD are on there and some NYPD Citywide channels are simulcast

NYC Sheriff, USCG, FDNY, OEM is on DoITT's Type II SmartZone 800 system

MCC and MDC-Bklyn are both Type II Smartnet

That's pretty much it for Public Safety trunked systems in NYC

SCPD

QRT
Danm that has much info and it looks like a analog scanner alone would have more than enough to listen to. Hell if you could use a uv5r if you only had a interest in a few things

scosgt

Also quite illegal. You may want to delete that post, which is why I did not quote it.

blaze

Premium Subscriber
Unless he has a ham license correct?

It's not illegal in the US to use or program a transceiver to monitor a public safety system. It's illegal to program it to *transmit* on one, and even more illegal to actually transmit on one, without authorization.

Having a ham radio license has nothing to do with it. In fact, many amateur portables (particular single band models) have receivers that perform far better in the commercial and public safety bands than scanners do, often for less money. (The UV5R is not a particularly great performer, but you can't beat the price).

SCPD

QRT
It's not illegal in the US to use or program a transceiver to monitor a public safety system. It's illegal to program it to *transmit* on one, and even more illegal to actually transmit on one, without authorization.

Having a ham radio license has nothing to do with it. In fact, many amateur portables (particular single band models) have receivers that perform far better in the commercial and public safety bands than scanners do, often for less money. (The UV5R is not a particularly great performer, but you can't beat the price).
I thought the other guy was just talking about it ( the uv5r )being in the others vehicle and scanning.

blaze

Premium Subscriber
I thought the other guy was just talking about it ( the uv5r )being in the others vehicle and scanning.

There's an ambiguously written law in the NY State vehicle code prohibiting equipping private vehicles with police radios, with a bunch of exceptions. Case law on interpretation and enforcement, varies widely, and virtually none of the cases are in NYC (dire warnings here notwithstanding). There are certainly many people who are, or believe themselves to be, covered by the exemptions, and it's hardly something that the NYPD has teams of detectives investigating message board postings over.

Status
Not open for further replies.