Multiple Stream Enabled Scanner Software for iPhone or iDevices?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mwkeefer

Hello all,

This may not be the proper topic to begin here but if not please direct me as to where I should post this.

While I am an IOS (iPhone, iPad, Mac), Windows (Desktop XP-Win7) and Linux Developer (all flavors) and working on being an Android programmer, truth is as many short wave operators and those interested in a more "traditional" but software based scanner with full features I've been searching for months (more like years) to locate what exactly I and many, many others have been looking for.

I am 40 years old and received my Tech Class Shortwave License at the ripe old age of 12 (28 years ago) back when Tech Class still meant full tear down of radio, pre and post amp and successful rebuilding (or atleast the knowledge to do so) in fact without this I would never have learned modern electronics designs, PCB manfacture (home or contracted via CAD/CAM process) and certainly would never have realized many of the electronics I've developed using Microcontrollers. Now that said, things have changed and as I understand it now if you merely must pass the lowest level morse test, have a fair understanding of the transmission rules (meter bands, power output maximum, etc) and yes morse code which means basically anyone can get a tech class.... forgive me I digress.

So for near a year I have been studying these "streaming" based Emergency Services scanner apps available for both iDevices and Android and find they all lack the utmost important feature which every standalone scanner has:

1.) Cycling through presets quickly looking for sound, like a normal scanner (I need to scan between 4 and 20 channels at once.

2.) The ability to set one or more "Priority channels" which get checked much more often than the loop indicated above, these would be for instance helpful to monitor my local police and Firecompany as priority channels while still scanning any number of other channels.

Recently I've begun to wonder why this won't work or hasn't been done and I'm stumped.

First does anyone know of an app capable for iOS or for Android which can do this now?

Second if not than does anyone here know why it's not possible to acheive or has not yet been achieved.

As an official iOS developer in reviewinging the SDK from version iOS 4.3 onward it seems entirely possible given most of these feeds are a mere 16kb and the maximum allowable bandwidth over 3G allowable by signed apple apps is 192kbps which would in theory allow one app to handle 12 channels simeltaniously and receive feeds from all. A simple algorythim could detect spech over tones, static and noise and could be arranged to scan (presuming channels 1 and 2 are priority mode) 1, 2, 3, 1, 4, 2, 5, 1, 6, 2, 7, 1, 8, 2, 9, 1, 10, 2 and then repeat - providing override channels 1 and 2 and still allowing a 10 channel scan practically simeltaniously if sufficient sockets or RDP receipt sockets would work.

Basically I am asking if anyone here knows why this app or one which functions like it is not available yet, technical difficulties, etc and if there is no reason then I suppose its time I began writing my own.

Thanks in advance for any feedback, comments or questions!

Regards
mwkeefer@gmail.com

mwkeefer

Thank you christophersmithTV

Christopher,

I have spent months looking for a scanner feed app which would allow me to monitor more than one channel at a time, I just purchased the 2.99 pro version and can't wait to test it out.

I neglected to see if in fact I could setup my own streaming feeds (mp4, m4a, mp3, aac, etc) from my personal 200 channel scanner with 20 priority channels.

Being a technology guy I can detect the audio via computer connection and then stream that audio, it would allow me to capture all 200 channels in slow mode scan while giving priority to the 20 top frequencies I monitor, guess time will tell :)

Thanks again!

Mike Keefer
mwkeefer@gmail.com

Status
Not open for further replies.