Albemarle or Charlottesville PD's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hokies3030

Premium Subscriber
I have been working at programming my scanner, I can pickup ACFR, VSP, local Fire & Rescue, but I am not receiving any transmissions from Albemarle or Charlottesville PD's. I have checked and TG's are programmed, I used Freescan to set up the radio and have been fine tuning almost weekly. I seem to be receiving everything that I want, except motoTRBO, and if I could receive Albe., Char., PD's I would stop fine tuning. Any suggestions?

QDP2012

...I can pickup ACFR...

Are you hearing ACFR on the digital trunked radio system, or are you hearing the simulcast on the old analog frequencies 460.25 and 460.475?

If you are hearing ACFR only on the 460.25 and 460.475, and not on the trunked system, then it suggests to me that you have not completely/correctly entered the trunked system--meaning, entered the tower frequencies AND the talkgroups AND associated the talkgroups to the tower frequencies AND assigned the talkgroups to a QuickKey (I think that's Uniden's equivalent to a RadioShack ScanList), etc.

If you can hear ACFR on the trunked system, but cannot hear CPD and APD and UPD on the trunked system, then something else is the problem.

Let us know; maybe others who have a 396XT can jump-in here and help you specifically with that model scanner, if that seems to be the problem.

Hope this helps,

Hokies3030

Premium Subscriber
Looks like I have a lot more homework to do, it appears that you are correct and I am getting the simulcast. I used RadioReference info when programming with freescan but I am apparently missing some important info. Where do you find the tower freq., and how do you associate with talkgroup?

QDP2012

• You probably got the UHF frequencies from this DB page: Albemarle County.

As is generally true on all city/county pages in the DB, you can scroll to the bottom of the page to find a list of related Trunked Radio Systems (TRSs). At the bottom of the Albemarle County's page, Click on Charlottesville/Albemarle.

• On the Charlottesville/Albemarle page, the subsection "System Frequencies" lists the pool of frequencies used in this TRS. The blue frequencies are the primary control-channels. The red are the secondary control channels. The black are the voice frequencies.

The list of frequencies need to be entered together as a "system". In the RS 106 variant scanners, the scanner only needs the control-channels, and will figure-out the voice channels. I don't know about the Uniden scanners. You might need to enter all of the frequencies when building the "system". Put the primary control channels first, then secondary, and if needed, the voice frequencies also.

Then from the subsection "System Talkgroups", find and enter the talkgroups that interest you, like:
    • 34032 84f D Alb PD Disp Dispatch
    • 30032 755 D CharPD Disp Dispatch
    • ...etc...

When correctly programmed, the desired talkgroups will be related to the "system" you created in the above steps.

• As a note, once you get the PD talkgroups working correctly, you might want to consider also adding the talkgroups for fire/rescue. They will be clearer and more obviously-separated than listening to the simulcast on UHF. You will hear the Fire Tac channels individually, which will make more sense, than hearing them "talk over one another" on simulcast.

• Also, since I have not used a 396XT, I cannot give you step-by-step guidance on how to enter the above data.
    In case it helps, here's a link to the Easier to Read (U)BCD396XT Digital Scanner Manual.
Hope this helps,

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
What type of scanner are you using? I've seen reference in the thread to a 396 and 106.

QDP2012

What type of scanner are you using? I've seen reference in the thread to a 396 and 106.

The OP is using a 396XT, which was mentioned in their post's title before the post was moved to its own thread. I made reference to a 106 just to clarify my perspective, that's all.

Hope this helps,

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
The OP is using a 396XT, which was mentioned in their post's title before the post was moved to its own thread. I made reference to a 106 just to clarify my perspective, that's all.

Hope this helps,

Cool deal. I was confused:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.