NJICS Union County

Status
Not open for further replies.

set41249

I am attempting to monitor the Union County Simulcast system. Sometimes I hear them and sometimes I don't hear anything for an hour or two. All the channels are properly entered so are the talkgroups.

I'm using an RS-PRO106. Any Ideas?

Much appreciated.

Steve

set41249

UC is Digital not TDMA

I can hear them occasionally, so you don't need a P II scanner. UC is digital, not two-slot TDMA. If I needed two-slot, I wouldn't be able to hear it at all. The only two-slot groupl in UC appear to be Elizabeth. The County groups that are not encrypted are NOT two-slot.

Steve

SCPD

QRT
NJPSIC

If its any consolation I have two P2 radios and to me I am experiencing the same thing,union co probably uses in car computers mostly.

slapshot0017

No one has officially moved over to that system yet. Elizabeth is still using their conventional system and the county EDACS system is still up and running. Most of the stuff is just patch work. Traffic will start to liven up soon as everyone gets their stuff together.

GM

Premium Subscriber
According to my Unitrunker set-up on Site 7, I observe Union County Sheriff's and Prosecutor's Office sometimes in Phase 1 FDMA mode, and other times, in Phase 2 TDMA mode.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Union County is Phase II to include UCPD, UCSO, EMS/OEM and Prosecutor. Even the patch from the FIRE MAC yesterday was Phase II. Elizabeth has began switching, certain PD units have APX portables and the VHF repeater is patched through, also Phase II. The only Phase I talk groups you will hear are patches from Transit PD, NJSP, DOT SSP and HC LERN. There is also discussion on the ICS thread.

Analogrules

K2Cool, what do you mean by putting in a longer delay for the bcd436? What P25 threshold do you have set? I am having the same problem with the scanner. I only pick up Union County PD sporadically, and sometimes only hear half of the conversations. I only hear them key up like once every half hour and know I must be missing something. The same goes for Elizabeth who sound terrible by the way....half their transmissions are muffled and sound borderline encrypted. I almost feel like re-selling the scanner.

richee2000

Communications Professional
Sea Bright NJ, Livingston NJ, Basking Ridge NJ
interesting..on my 436, I receive all comms from the NJ state 700 system perfectly, on the West Orange site, here in Basking Ridge, about 25 miles away. all union Co talk groups come in perfect, no break up..the scanner indicates Phase II at all times. I hear both sides of every transmission.

But, I have trouble with the somerset county and morris county p-25 TRS . Broken transmissions.

I am interested in settings: has anyone tried : P25 threshold, waiting Time, etc.. ?.

rr60

Premium Subscriber
Path & Your Antenna

Many many threads on LSM path issues and Uniden ability to decode.

The RF paths are different to you from different sites.

Dig deep, read read read. You may want consider trying different types of antennas.

Increase your site delay settings. Way to many variables. You will have to work it.

Try and retry.

Analogrules

Yeah, I am kind of pissed after spending over $400 for this BCD436 scanner, I am hardly picking up any digital transmissions here in Union County. Elizabeth PD sounds like garbage, only sporadic clear transmissions by county pd, NJ Transit PD does sound good though on 700. I am monitoring in Roselle Park from the Union county site. I am thinking I need to adjust some P25 settings, but don't want to screw things up even more. If I can't get this thing to perform the way it was advertised, I may just re-sell it and get an earlier digital model. TDMA just doesn't sound clear enough for the scanner to cost this much money, unless one of my settings are way off. I currently have it set to its default settings for P25. However, I CAN monitor Cranford PD, which also uses digital, very clearly.

Analogrules

How do you increase site delay settings? Can someone tell me how to do this step by step on the bcd436?

Analogrules

That thread is too general since I'm only interested in monitoring union county on the UC site. I just figured out how to adjust the P25 Threshold. I tested the error rate and it does stay exactly or close to zero when I set it to manual mode at level 8. I am picking up more digital transmissions now. Some seem like they cut out (perhaps reception issue), but seems to be doing a little better.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Elizabeth PD sounds like garbage, only sporadic clear transmissions by county pd, NJ Transit PD does sound good though on 700.

Remember, the Union County units are transmitting TDMA. So is dispatch. Elizabeth PD on the other hand is a patch from an analog repeater that is being coverted to TDMA So it's not going to sound as clear as pure TDMA.

Analogrules

Thanks so much for the helpful hints guys. As we know, the default Threshold is set to 8 on the scanner, and after conducting the test, it does show the error rate close to zero at the default threshold of 8 for the Union County site, however it sounds BETTER when it is set to "manual" rather than auto. So, even though 8 is the default setting anyway, setting it to 8 under manual makes a big difference for me. I also just read in the Uniden thread, that moving your squelch as low as 2, may help too. I will try that next. But, definitely hearing an improvement after changing the threshold setting to manual.

SCPD

QRT
Does anybody have to reset the clock on the Uniden 436 after a few days of it being off. I know this sounds odd. But I do have this issue

Status
Not open for further replies.