Mt. Olive PD

Status
Not open for further replies.

chiefjohnson

Can anyone tell me why Mt. Olive PD's VHF sounds so horrible? When they speak it sounds like a tin can and whenever the repeater kicks in or someone lets off the mic there are a bunch of tones almost like an old RTNA line sound. It sounds like they have a voted receiver with multiple sites but it just sounds horrible. Thx

Fizz306

Premium Subscriber
is this new for you? the tin can makes me think that maybe your scanner isn't set up to receive them with narrowband modulation.

W2SJW

Database Admin
No, he's right. The best way to describe MOTPD's audio, even before going NFM, is 'hot, juicy, & squeaky' :D

res5cue

was told not too long ago that they have awarded a bid to a PA company to convert from the RTNA to Microwave links. their PD / FD/EMS systems both have some serious issues. gets bad when a mobile is in town and having a hard time into either of the repeaters but Juicy and Squeaky is a good description.

chiefjohnson

They have two repeaters? I thought they only had the repeater on top of the Tower at Rt 46 near the Johnson Dodge dealer and satellite rcvrs in Budd Lake and Flanders tied together with tie lines etc.

SCPD

QRT
They have two repeaters? I thought they only had the repeater on top of the Tower at Rt 46 near the Johnson Dodge dealer and satellite rcvrs in Budd Lake and Flanders tied together with tie lines etc.

There's a transmit site behind the Village Green Apts. on the fire tower. That beams a signal into Flanders.

res5cue

sorry. my reply was typed while i was half asleep with the newborn.. as far as im aware the police channel only has 1 transmitter and several remote receivers the same with the fire repeater.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
res5cue...congrats on the addition to the family. Half asleep is still better than no sleep with a newborn !

SCPD

QRT
sorry. my reply was typed while i was half asleep with the newborn.. as far as im aware the police channel only has 1 transmitter and several remote receivers the same with the fire repeater.

Just repeating what I was told.

Sybex7254

Probably why they still install the VHF Low Band radios (39.400 MHz 173.8 PL - which someone seems to have removed from the database) in the Police cars as a backup system. I've seen several brand new police cars in the last few weeks and they all had VHF Low Band antennas on them.

Wish they would just move to the County TRS. As I understood it they stayed VHF for I/O with Washington Twp. (which is now on the TRS) and Warren County (Hackettstown) so would make more sense to go to the TRS.

Coolant113

You never hear them talking directly to Hackettstown. All of the MOPD cars have a TRS radio installed and hop on some sort of Mutual Aid channel on the TRS when they need to communicate with other agencies on that system within Morris County. From what i understand they are against going to the TRS system due to them loosing control of everything and placing it in the county's hands. However i believe when they have to start replacing things and when they realize the costs involved with it, they will switch to the county system. Probably within the next 5 years, but who knows. A lot of people already thought they would be on the county system by now.

res5cue

SignalZero. TY.. I live in 1 Mans Land now being the only male but its great! 2 of my girls love the scanners and ham radio so getting them started quick!!1

they talk direct to Hackettstown because they are still VHF Analog just like MOPD. They are still licensed for 39.400 and ive heard activity on it a bit. they all have MIRS radios in their cars with MIRS -1 and some other channels.. The remaining agencies who arent' on MIRS are like Coolant113 said are afraid of losing control. More work will be done on the MOPD system and hopefully will be a better and safer system..

chiefjohnson

It really sounds horrible lately. Every time one of the officers has a problem being clearly heard on the system the dispatcher has been instructed to enter it in the ComStat for documentation purposes. Yesterday an officer was keying his portable during a way too long message to HQ and you can hear the "old phone line sound" intermittently while he was talking. I think once they dump the old phone links to their voter and maybe add another receiver site they will sound better.

Sybex7254

Well...and not to make this a political discussion...but I'm sure that Mt. Olive will just keep raising their already too high taxes to continue to support three radios in each Police car and dedicated dispatchers so as not to "lose control". Seems to me the cost benefits from moving to the county TRS far outweigh any justification of keeping things as is. I doubt safety will be a factor and the County normally absorbs the existing dispatchers into the County Comm center. Plus from what I've heard most if not all agencies that have transitioned are happy with the move.

I think the VHF channel has sounded like crap from day one when they switched from VHF Lo Band. Funny that the FD has a better repeater. Perhaps they should swap!

chiefjohnson

When they were on VHF-Low 39.40 the signal sounded great. They were simplex so cars in Flanders could not hear the other units but adding a repeater would have solved that. Although there are no viable portable options in Low Band. How is it the FD repeater sounds so good? Where is the PD repeater versus the FD

Status
Not open for further replies.