I dont beleive it!Low band??!!???

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
I actually heard a pager test on Glen Ridge Ems on 46.540 anyone else have any low band hits?I havent heard anything on low band in ages.This was because I left a favorites list on by accident.

Tech792

Low band is alive and well. Military, construction, School buses, Police, fire, EMS...you name it.

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
The California Highway Patrol has one of the largest low band systems going. Many channels from 39-45Mhz. They'll stay with it until there are no longer radios made for that band. Better long distance coverage and plenty of channels available as other systems leave the band.

danieldad

Low band.....I LOVE low band !!! Works very well, despite those who complain about it, or who don't understand the frequency range/geographic aspects.
And, as pointed out above, -just go ahead and take a close look at the CHP system; I have a couple of friends from the job who started out here on the east coast, back in the day. They've both ended up in Ca., & are both in CHP (one very south, & his brother up in Napa Valley). Both will tell you, their comm. system is better than anything else they've ever used prior .... we were all hams ( the guy in Napa still is), as well as scanner guys, their dad was an engineer for Harris (-he gave me a full rf 230 setup for my BD one year, & I still have it) - so I kinda think that these guys pretty much know what they're talking about.
Long live VHF Low Band.

SCPD

QRT
Low band

I used to have a pair of GE walkie talkies on low band that I got from a hamfest when I was a kid,we used to talk for miles and they were 5 watts.
Wish I still had em I think they were 35mhz

Attachments

• these.jpg
    these.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 1,619
Last edited:
One of my all time favorite stations to monitor was the Passaic County Sheriff's low band repeater on 45.22. Great coverage from anywhere in the County. Now they're on 800 MHz - works fine in Paterson, but in West Milford??????????

Remember when the NJSP was on low band?

And Bergen County PD on 37.38?

Those were the days . . .

mancow

Database Admin
I actually heard a pager test on Glen Ridge Ems on 46.540 anyone else have any low band hits?I havent heard anything on low band in ages.This was because I left a favorites list on by accident.

Check out the tropo forum. There are logs posted all the time. I had hundreds of hits today, mostly encrypted military comms.

BobbyDuke

Premium Subscriber
There's always the Monmouth County Hotline too on lowband 39.46 use for local dispatch->dispatch comms. It's hard to pick up but I can pick up my surrounding towns pretty well.

Analogrules

Union Twp. Fire Dept simulcast is still on low band on 46.280. Also, their BOE School Buses are on 47.660

RBFD415

You can add Bernardsville in Somerset as still active on low band. Maybe one of a very few police agencies still using it here in NJ(?)

39.6400 and 39.9400 both with CTCSS 114.8

I understand the County Trunk system does not have good coverage in town?

I'm up that way about twice a month and get great reception on this agency on low band when I am!

ansky

Highland Park FD still uses Middlesex County low band 33.82 as their primary operations/dispatch channel. There are dead spots all over town and communications from other parts of the county bleed in at times.

Analogrules

Monmouth County PD Countywide Alert is still listed with a lowband frequency, yet I'm not sure if they still use it or just rely on SPEN.

Steveradio

Pennsylvania we are active low band from Public Works to Fire/EMS as well. 37.900 is my Townships frequency in Wesienberg Twp Lehigh County, Berks County still has many fire on 33mhz to alerting as well. Plus Poconos has many communities still using 45mhz for DPW as well.

We tried getting the Township to switch says they wont invest the money in something that works.

W7FDX

Premium Subscriber
Montour County PA is still on 45mhz for fire and 47mhz for EMS. I belong to a department in that county and we have excellent mobile coverage, however portable coverage is pretty poor.

TAMR213

You can add Bernardsville in Somerset as still active on low band. Maybe one of a very few police agencies still using it here in NJ(?)

39.6400 and 39.9400 both with CTCSS 114.8

Looking through the database, I've always seen these low-band PD frequencies, along with multiple other agencies also "using" low-band (many in Morris County). I've always been curious - what kind of communications take place on these frequencies? Are they still used for dispatch? Hard to believe in this day and age.

ansky said:
Highland Park FD still uses Middlesex County low band 33.82 as their primary operations/dispatch channel. There are dead spots all over town and communications from other parts of the county bleed in at times.
To the best of my knowledge, the info in the database is somewhat out of date: HPVFD may still be "toned-out" on 33.82, but "dispatch" and for sure operations have moved to 453.860. Infact, there was a large fire in town the other day that required FD units to switch to the old PD Dispatch (460.425) due to too much chatter. In addition, you would be hearing other towns on 33.82 because Highland Park was always CSQ, whereas other towns use a PL on 33.82.

(sorry for the quotations, but I'm not sure if I'm using the terms 100% correctly - things like "simulcast" vs. "multicast", "dispatch" vs. "paging" always get me)

mancow

Database Admin
I made it into the kq2h 29.62 repeater again on an MT1000 hand held yesterday. Low band has really been good lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.