Do BCD996T or BCD996XT schematics exist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mancow

Database Admin
Has anyone ever seen a BCD996T or BCD996XT schematic?

I will paypal $25 to anyone who can get one one of either.

mancow

Database Admin
I had a rather ambitious project in mind.

Oh well. "#### it we'll do it live!".

D

DaveNF2G

ECPA was not created by FCC. Blame Congress and the president who signed it (Reagan?).

Voyager

ECPA was not created by FCC. Blame Congress and the president who signed it (Reagan?).

True. It was purchased (cough) from Congress. Reagan signed the original ECPA (1986) which simply made it illegal to monitor Cellular. It was Clinton who signed the ammended ECPA which added all the ridiculous scanner limitations such as cannot be modified to receive Cellular, must have image rejection to X dB, Cellular band suppression to x dB (which is the one that also affected 851-869 MHz), cannot monitor cordless phones, IFBs, STLs, Etc.

mancow

Database Admin
I don't understand. Where in the law does it say you can't sell a service manual? Motorola provides service manuals. I believe AOR does as well.

Voyager

I don't understand. Where in the law does it say you can't sell a service manual? Motorola provides service manuals. I believe AOR does as well.

Manufacturers are prohibited from making a scanner readily modifiable to receive Cellular.

Older scanners (compliant with the 1986 ECPA) simply added a jumper you could cut to restore the Cellular band. The 1994 ECPA added the mandate that manufacturers are prohibited from making a scanner readily modifiable to receive Cellular through firmware or hardware modifications. Part of Uniden's compliance with this law includes withholding manuals that could be used to violate the ECPA.

There might be an FCC ruling that is even more direct on this issue, but it was at the same time that Uniden stopped supplying manuals for scanners that cover 800 MHz.

Maybe UPMan could chime in with more details if he sees this thread.

szron

Premium Subscriber
Supplying a service manual does not make anything readily modifiable.

Also on another note. The law is obsolete but it probably will never be repealed.

Voyager

Supplying a service manual does not make anything readily modifiable.

Also on another note. The law is obsolete but it probably will never be repealed.

It is a tool that can be used to modify the scanner. Without knowing the workings or layout, it would be much more difficult to mod the scanner.

I agree that the original ECPA is outdated. It should never have existed in the first place, but the Cellular companies determined that buying the law was cheaper than upgrading to digital (which they ended up doing anyway).

n3617400

there is another reason - the Chinese.
everyone is afraid of the Chinese.
they are stealing the schemes and
released thousands of scanner's models: unidon, yniden, unidin etc.
:)

Voyager

there is another reason - the Chinese.
everyone is afraid of the Chinese.
they are stealing the schemes and
released thousands of scanner's models: unidon, yniden, unidin etc.
:)

And maybe that's why Uniden moved manufacturing to VietNam.

dkf435

No it was the technically inclined scanner geeks that made the epoxy blobs and no service manuals or schematics available.

In the early 90s after the optional cell enabling diodes disappeared and started getting glued in on existing stock and with double conversion you doubled the IF and added to listen to the cell, then they had to go to triple so you could not listen to cell. After that someone got the service manual for the PRO 26 type Uniden made radios, that is why there were three versions, and did some figuring on mixing and enabling different band pass filters in different freq ranges with toggle switches and got the whole input sections sealed with epoxy after that.

Some where along the line I think it was either Radio Shack or Uniden that got the FCC to let them keep the service manuals confidential.

David Kb7uns

mancow

Database Admin
Must not have been Radioshack because I have a PRO96 service manual. Also, I thought triple conversion was done for higher performance.

I have a feeling it's more about product confidentiality (competition) than anything else. The expoxy is a joke anyway. A hot air station set at around 140 and a small screwdriver will allow it to be flaked right off.

Status
Not open for further replies.