Yale New Haven Sky Health

Status
Not open for further replies.

whsesupv

Premium Subscriber
Yale New Haven Hospital now has a Eurocopter to transport emergency patients from accident scenes. Its called Sky Health and will give Connecticut 3 medical helicopters. Question: Does anyone know the frequency to be used by the Helo for comms to Yale? I would think it would be the same as Life Star and similar codes.
Thx

firerick100

Premium Subscriber
When did this happen it's the first I heared of it,it's a good thing,so can a fdor ems call them if lifestar is unavailable anywhere in the state

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Alrighty then! So they will be pulling double duty then! I wonder if any one of the 3 hellos will be assigned to cover CT specifically. I mean they can't be expected to respond to anywhere in CT directly from LI! I would think that affects their response times! The other thing is the comms. The hellos have to be able to communicate with PD FD EMS from BOTH sides of the water. That in itself should be interesting to look into!
Well, time to pull out the DSLR and go bird watching! :)

Manny

w2lie

New York DB Admin
Database Admin
Since this CT thread was linked from the NY thread on the same topic, I'm going to link to my reply on the NY thread instead of reposting.

But to be quick, there was an article about the new bird in Newsday this past week. It seems it will be a type of medical transport service from local hospitals to NSLIJ, not a first responder type of aircraft.

But - we now see NSLIJ Ambulances popping up all over Nassau and Suffolk Counties, and they are operating as first responder vehicles, and not a transport service between hospitals.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for clearing that up! Definitely gonna be something we will be monitoring ( looking out for ) on this side of the pond! Looks like it's fairly new on the LI side 2, I see. The birds were just put in service in 2013.

Manny

Firebuff66

Feed Provider
It was sitting on the roof of Bridgeport Hospital garage all day Saturday, well at least until 3:30 when I left work.
Its sad to think that if Fairfield needed a Helo they would have had to wait for Life star with that one sitting right there.

From what I'm told The Yale Helo can only do Hospital to Hospital transfers in CT..EMS Politics at its best.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
That's my understanding as well! Hospital to Hospital transfers. You never know, things could change!

Manny

izzyj4

Premium Subscriber
I don't think that SkyHealth was ever going to be set up for trauma from scene to hospital from the get go on either side of the Sound.Its just run for inter transfers between partners Yale and North Shore only. I think everyone just speculated once they heard there was a new "medical helicopter" in the area they assumed it was going to be like LifeStar.

Now with that said, I'm not disagreeing there should be another "LifeStar" like unit in the state for the western part either. But where I am there is really no need for it here. I got 3 if not 6 trauma centers (New Haven -2, Waterbury -2, Bridgeport -2 if they all are still, haven't kept up with the info) all within 20 minutes ground transport time. So really its not worth calling the bird out, mainly because of time.

But down towards southern Fairfield or up in Litchfield County where the distances to a trauma hospital are greater than 10 - 20 minutes, there is a greater need.

But that's my opinion.

sefrischling

Public Information Officer
Asked someone at Yale. Said the flight crew works off of pagers and mobile phones primarily for dispatch and operations.

MedicMike153

I work at YNHH in their transfer center. We are involved with coordinating Sky Health for transfers. I'll try to answer any questions I can. Sky Health is a joint venture between YNHH and NSLIJ, hence the dual graphics. They have partnered with Med-Trans for the vendor.

1. Sky Health uses YNHH's main security frequency to communicate to YNHH. They also use the local Med channels for patches. I'm still looking of the NSLIJ frequencies myself. They are dispached from NSLIJ's EMS Dispatch center on LI.

2. It is only for inter-facility transfers. Our Certificate of Need (CON) with the state limits us to this use only. It will not be used for scene calls.

3. Currently, it is stationed at either NSLIJ or Bridgeport Hospital. They have crew quarters at both locations.

4. It will also be used for Burn Center transfer to Bridgeport Hospital's Burn Unit.

I hope this helps. Stay safe.

KB1JHU

In EMS region 1 (lower Fairfield County), Stamford, Norwalk, Bridgeport & St Vincent's are all level 2 trauma centers.

Status
Not open for further replies.