All my work GONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dispatcher812

Premium Subscriber
I just spent what amounts to 5 hours working in Sentinal to program my scanner and make a back up card. I am not sure what happened but all the work I did is gone. I noticed that FL are not where they should be and a lot are just plain gone. IE I have Railroad lists under police. Some stuff that is missing is not even from today but from weeks or months ago.

Also, I had 4 profiles created for different things. Why is it that when I delete a favorites list off one it deletes it off the others?

I also had the Butel software open to look at something. I only opened 1 list into it.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I just spent what amounts to 5 hours working in Sentinal to program my scanner and make a back up card. I am not sure what happened but all the work I did is gone. I noticed that FL are not where they should be and a lot are just plain gone. IE I have Railroad lists under police. Some stuff that is missing is not even from today but from weeks or months ago.

Also, I had 4 profiles created for different things. Why is it that when I delete a favorites list off one it deletes it off the others?

I also had the Butel software open to look at something. I only opened 1 list into it.
The Favorites lists are the same for all profiles. If you delete a list, as you've found, it really is gone.

What the Profile does is let you set which Favorites are downloaded to the scanner under that profile, which ones are enabled, whether or not the full database is used, whether to use location control for a given favorite, and you can also set a different location on each Profile, such as one for home, and one for a specific trip. The different profiles would then select a specific of Favorites lists, from all the FL's you have, and set which are active, or inactive, location, etc, based on the Profile you selected.

SCPD

QRT
Favorites list

A favorites list must stay in sentinel if you want to use it in another profile.
If you dont want it in the profile right click your mouse and choose DOWNLOAD OFF for That favorites list.
I make all my favorites lists have numbers and each one is a town or system so I know where they are.Always hit save after you do any work.

Butel throws the favorite lists all out of order,the 536hp software for Butel is very unorganized unlike the older versions like we used on the 996xts.
I think I did the same thing you did,my fix was to rewrite my profile in Sentinel .I immediately dumped the Butel program after the scare.
My reason was to try the Butel and see if it was easier,it is but it messes with the list order.

Last edited:

dispatcher812

Premium Subscriber
Well then to me that is not a profile. Why bother with them at all when you can simple chose what gets downloaded and what does not. Plus I noticed that even though I say do not download a specific list, I still see it when the scanner starts up after I have finished.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
I noticed that even though I say do not download a specific list, I still see it when the scanner starts up after I have finished.

Are you writing to the scanner after you set "download" to "no" in the Sentinel profile editor?

You may even have to delete the favorites files from the scanner (and send them in from Sentinel again) during that write to scanner phase - I believe setting "download" to "no", if you have previously written to the scanner with it set to "yes", leaves the actual favorites list file there, but just takes it out of the FL configuration.

If you're concerned about space, you needn't be - favorites lists take a miniscule amount of your SD card. Boot time is another thing - if you want a favorites list in your radio but not use it all the time, you can have it download, then set Monitor to OFF. It shouldn't load during bootup at that point, unless I'm mistaken.

dispatcher812

Premium Subscriber
Are you writing to the scanner after you set "download" to "no" in the Sentinel profile editor?

You may even have to delete the favorites files from the scanner (and send them in from Sentinel again) during that write to scanner phase - I believe setting "download" to "no", if you have previously written to the scanner with it set to "yes", leaves the actual favorites list file there, but just takes it out of the FL configuration.

If you're concerned about space, you needn't be - favorites lists take a miniscule amount of your SD card. Boot time is another thing - if you want a favorites list in your radio but not use it all the time, you can have it download, then set Monitor to OFF. It shouldn't load during bootup at that point, unless I'm mistaken.

Yes I am.

I have a feeling that it has to do with Butel. The Fl I opened in that is what was messing things up in Sentinel. I have heard that the Butel software will sometimes merge FLs. That is why I do not use it. I think when I opened the Fl then closed it, only to reopen Sentinel that it affected where that FL was.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
If you open multiple Favorites Lists in Butel and write them to your scanner, it will merge them.

Butel is best for working on ONE Favorites List at a time.

If you open or read your Favorites Lists with Sentinel, you'll probably see all of the "stuff" is there, just not organized as you had it, because Butel merged it for you.

Presuming you find that you have merged Favorites Lists, you may try the following using Sentinel: (For the sake of this, presume you merged 3 Favorites List into 1).

1. Export that merged Favorites List to an HPE file.
2. Import that HPE file into Sentinel.
3. Delete the FL 2 and FL 3 "stuff" and save the FL as FL 1 New
4, Import (again) the HPE file into Sentinel.
5. Delete the FL 1 and FL 3 "stuff" and save the FL as FL 2 New.
6. Import (again) the HPE file into Sentinel.
7. Delete the FL 1 and FL 2 "stuff" and save the FL as FL 3 New.
8. Delete, if present, original FL 1, FL 2 and FL 3 files
9. Re-name those FL x New files as the original one.

10. Remember to not have more than one FL open at a time in Butel and that mistakes are sometimes better teachers than successes. And you weren't the only guy to find that out the hard way. I wasn't there when you did it, but was when I did.:)

Butelsoftware

Database Admin
Yes I am.

I have a feeling that it has to do with Butel. The Fl I opened in that is what was messing things up in Sentinel. I have heard that the Butel software will sometimes merge FLs. That is why I do not use it. I think when I opened the Fl then closed it, only to reopen Sentinel that it affected where that FL was.

It will only merge them if you told it to do so.

Gommert
Butel Software

SCPD

QRT
ARC for 436 and 536

Hate to say this but it puts the lists in its own order,I always used Butel software but this version takes a well organized profile and jumbles up your lists if you have them numbered and in order.And at the time I was only adding frequencies to an existing list.1,2,3,4, goes to 2.3.1,4 ,tried it a few times and it did the same thing.I had to fix in sentinel.The butel software company should have made it more organized like ARC XT which keeps everything in perfect order.

Status
Not open for further replies.