ELAD FDM-S2

Status
Not open for further replies.

W0ACT

Premium Subscriber
Ordered a unit last Saturday evening and received it on Wednesday afternoon.

The unit came with a carrying case, “USB” cables, 2 antenna adaptors, and a software thumb drive.

Installing and setting up the software on Windows 7 was easy, while reading the manual during the process.

Found that it was very easy to stop the audio, but not as easy to get it back on until you figure out what you clicked on.

The ELAD software is highly customizable, and after spending a couple of hours getting acquainted and adjusting all of the color choices so everything is easy on my eyes, it is very easy to use.

I downloaded and installed the EIBI database, which so far I really like.

My antennas are currently in the attic, but I plan on experimenting a little to see if I can make any improvements.

So far, I am extremely happy with this little receiver and am looking forward to spending quite a bit of time with it.

n2pqq

Premium Subscriber
Congratulations on your new radio , it is a fine receiver.

I would suggest you join the very active Elad sdr group on yahoo groups.

Good luck and enjoy the radio.

jdobbs2001

its also a great air band reciever. Even though its not listed as a range in the specs. It works great, much better than the Ettus B200 :)

k1xd

You've made an excellent purchase!

I've had my FDM-S2 for four months now. I'm still learning and exploring features and functions. I would rate it 5/5 stars, an amazing receiver!

Dave
k1xd

jje64

Can anyone on this thread comment on the PC they have in use? Processor, memory, etc and how will it does with the ELAD in both record mode and live mode.

I would love to buy this receiver, but I really don't want to have to also buy a new pc

TNX
JJE64

k1xd

jje64...

Computer is an older Intel Quad core (Q8400) processor and 4 GB RAM with Windows 7. Seems to have plenty of 'horsepower'. The CPU usage stays low and I run several applications at once.

W0ACT

Premium Subscriber
I am running the FDM-S2 with an Intel Q9450 Quad Core CPU @ 2.67 GHZ with 8.0 GB of ram running Windows 7 with no problems on this end.

My total CPU usage is about 19.8% with the FDM-S2 taking about 8.9% of that when running at least 6 programs at the same time, and have not had a computer issue as of yet.

I only have one intermittent issue overall so far, and that is some type of RF noise that I am currently trying to locate and eliminate.

This problem is not associated with the receiver in any way, but rather something on my end (or my neighbors) that I am in the process of locating and hopefully correcting.

I absolutely love the FDM-S2 but the fox hunt continues of locating the stray RF to correct.

I am in the process of making small adjustments to antennas to see what improvements are, or aren’t made, and will report the findings.

:)

jdobbs2001

Can anyone on this thread comment on the PC they have in use? Processor, memory, etc and how will it does with the ELAD in both record mode and live mode.

I would love to buy this receiver, but I really don't want to have to also buy a new pc

TNX
JJE64

It will run on even a cheap 250 dollar dell laptop with a 2ghz elcheapo cpu. ie the dell inspiron 15 with a ntel® Celeron® Dual Core N2830 Processor.

Its a great FM reciever, for DXing etc.. excellent audio quality.

jdobbs2001

I am running the FDM-S2 with an Intel Q9450 Quad Core CPU @ 2.67 GHZ with 8.0 GB of ram running Windows 7 with no problems on this end.

My total CPU usage is about 19.8% with the FDM-S2 taking about 8.9% of that when running at least 6 programs at the same time, and have not had a computer issue as of yet.

I only have one intermittent issue overall so far, and that is some type of RF noise that I am currently trying to locate and eliminate.

This problem is not associated with the receiver in any way, but rather something on my end (or my neighbors) that I am in the process of locating and hopefully correcting.

I absolutely love the FDM-S2 but the fox hunt continues of locating the stray RF to correct.

I am in the process of making small adjustments to antennas to see what improvements are, or aren’t made, and will report the findings.

:)

You would be amazed at things that generate nasty RF. I found out my LED pool light was making a RF noise in certain harmonics, nice thing is you can see the noise. Once I turned off the pool led light. poof noise gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.