MARCS P25 Capable Handhelds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Circa

I currently have an Analog scanner and I want to upgrade to a digital p25 handheld scanner.
My focus is on digital p25 scanners that are $200 or below, new or used, retail or second hand condition.

I've done some research and found a few scanners capable of this, but I would like to compile a list of every MARCS P25 capable scanner that are current as of time of posting.
Other websites only show "current" models, since that's what they sell.

Ohio MARCS-IP: Multi-Agency Radio Communications (P25) capable handheld scanners:
GRE PSR-500 - (Used $250-$300)
Radio Shack Pro-106 - (Used $150-$200)
Radio Shack Pro-651 - (New $230-$350, Used $175) - Same as Pro-106.
Radio Shack Pro-18 - (Used $180-$250)
Uniden BCD396XT - (New $340, Used $200)
Uniden BCD396T - (New $250, Used $150-$200)
Uniden BCD436HP - ($455 new, $430 used on RR Classifieds)
Whistler WS1040(New $370)
Whistler WS1080 (New $459, Used $465 RR Classifieds)

If there are more, I will edit my OP with the newly added list and try to keep it updated and current. (Nov 2014)

Would anyone be able to help increase my list of APCO 25 phase 1 (MARCS) capable digital handheld scanners?

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT

Circa

You might want to look here as well:

State of Ohio MARCS - Multi-Agency Radio Communications - The RadioReference Wiki

scroll down to monitoring MARCS

Category:Digital Scanners - The RadioReference Wiki

Ignore the Geen Guy Grinning in the URL - it should still work.

That page helped, I found Whistler models, of course they are expensive too.
Some of the ones on the MARCS page aren't digital voice and won't work with the new MARCS.

The list on the wiki is missing the Pro-18, which seems rare.

It looks like the list in my OP is pretty complete for P25 handhelds.
Hopefully others will find it useful.

Thank you for the links! :D

a good digital scanner will NOT be cheap ask Santa to bring you one a friend of mine got a Pro-106 from Ebay for $330 try looking their?

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Some of the digital scanners on that page will not receive MARCS-IP because they don't cover 700 MHz. such as the PRO-96, PRO-2096, BC2xxs and BC7xxs.

I believe that the models made by GRE, and their Radio Shack counterparts, no longer have support so if something should change - no firmware updates.

You may want to consider the Home Patrol-I and the Home Patrol-II as well. The "I" prices are dropping since the released of the "II"
Some don't consider them handhelds but in the leather cases available from ScannerMaster they can be carried in hand and on the belt. They are just a little wider than the others.

Larkin71

Premium Subscriber
At this time, some counties aren't receiving Marcs very well, if at all. My city of residence is like that. I am presently waiting until March, but if it doesn't get better, I'll have to put up a rooftop antenna or try another scanner.

gate

for now my pro-96 receives butler county MARCS-IP with the BRICS old freq but i programed the new dec numbers and alpha tags

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
for now my pro-96 receives butler county MARCS-IP with the BRICS old freq but i programed the new dec numbers and alpha tags

The Butler County system uses 800 MHz. frequencies as it shares a controller with MARCS-IP.

Also once MARCS ends the old 800 MHz. frequencies will move to the P25 system, but many of the frequencies will be 700 MHz.

Last edited:

Nasby

I live near Columbiana and use a PRO-106.

It receives the MARCS System (700 MHz and 800 MHz) flawlessly.

But I think the price of a good used one is more in the $200-$300 range. $150-$200 seems too low.

Good luck with your quest!!

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
The Butler County system uses 800 MHz. frequencies as it shares a controller with MARCS-IP.

Also once MARCS ends the old 800 MHz. frequencies will move to the P25 system, but many of the frequencies will be 700 MHz.

Scanners like the Pro-96/2096 will still work just fine on MARCS-IP sites which use 800 MHz exclusively. However, they will not work on sites which are exclusively 700 MHz, or those which use 700 MHz for the control channels (which includes nearly all of the MARCS-IP sites).

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
When march comes around, will fire, ems, police still use analog?
My area is all analog, will they be forced to convert to MARCS digital?

Local agencies are not required to go to MARCS. That's a decision for local policy makers and elected officials.

k9searchdude

Question?

I just got a Uniden BCD 396T and wondering if it will work for the new Ohio MARCS system. P25 Trunking I think it is? Thanks for the help.

Voyager

Yes, it will... until they switch to P25 Phase II (no idea when that may be - could be many years)

SCPD

QRT
Marcs IP

so let me see, when we go marcs IP it will be in what range frequency?? I was of the understanding say Clark SO on Marcs would be same freq with OSP just using the same CC and different TG than the so. Is that not right? And when this happens will it happen in waves or all at once and will our radios go dead until we find the new CC, and will that be on RRDB? Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.