Washington County Ohio MARCS Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

firemanchev

Hello, I have a Pro 2096 Radio Shack scanner and can no longer receive the Washington County Sheriff or the Post 84. I know they are upgrading the network to a new system, but I do not know what they are switching to or how to change my programming in order to receive it. Could anyone please explain to me if my scanner will be able to receive it and how to go about getting it done?

Thanks

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
The new MARCS-IP system uses 700 MHz. The PRO-2096 does not cover that frequency range. Time for a new scanner I'm afraid.

The Washington County Sheriff is already on that system.

The old system is scheduled to be unplugged in March. Everyone else should be moved over to the new system by then.

Last edited:

firemanchev

What is a cost effective unit to mount in my truck for this? I would like something that is similar to the 2096 in size.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
What is a cost effective unit to mount in my truck for this? I would like something that is similar to the 2096 in size.

The Uniden BCD996XT or the new BCD536HP would fit the bill nicely as they're the same size as the 2096; I'd give serious thought to the 536 as it performs much better on simulcast sites like that used by Washington County (and is also Phase-II capable once the system starts using that sometime in the future).

If by "cost effective" you mean low cost, forget it. Pretty much anything that's P25 700 MHz capable (and will work reasonably well for what you want to do) is going to cost $350 or more.

Nasby

fireman.

In addition to the Uniden models, the Radio Shack PRO-197 is an excellent performer and is very similar to the PRO-2096.

You can sometimes find PRO-197'Ss (and other nice digital units) in the classifieds section here at pretty good prices (often in the $250.00 range).

And don't forget the Black Friday deals from Radio Shack.

According to the sneak peak ads, their digital units are going to be on sale in the $300 range.

Last edited:

Bucko

The Uniden BCD996XT or the new BCD536HP would fit the bill nicely as they're the same size as the 2096; I'd give serious thought to the 536 as it performs much better on simulcast sites like that used by Washington County (and is also Phase-II capable once the system starts using that sometime in the future).

If by "cost effective" you mean low cost, forget it. Pretty much anything that's P25 700 MHz capable (and will work reasonably well for what you want to do) is going to cost $350 or more.

My 536 does not perform better on the Washington Co Simulcast system, it is compared to my other radio's 396XT, 996, 197. But location & antenna will dictate your results. It is true the 2096 will not trunk the 700mz but using Win96 selecting extended frequencies you can receive the MARCS IP conventionally. Results will very from radio to radio of course. I still use my old 2096's in my car and truck and they receive fine, of course you will not know who you are listening to except by voice. I just entered Frequencies of the system except the control channel. My 96 does not receive the out of band 700mz very good at all. You may want to try this till you can get a scanner that will trunk the new MARCS IP. OSP is still on the MARCS for now and you need to set your extended trunking tables using Win 96.

ChLO - ChHI - Step - Offset - Base
440 - 559 - 25.000 - 440 - 851.025000
000 - 719 - 25.000 - 0 - 851.012500

Status
Not open for further replies.