Anyone else Mic Shy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cressida81

Got my license last weekend. Participated in a net (just by checking in) the following Wednesday. After the net I talked with one guy that I asked for a signal report. He said the signal was not great. The repeater was only 2 miles away. I was using a baofeng bf-f8hp at its full 8 watts of power with a mag mount antenna on my car in the driveway. I'm thinking my house (brick) might have been in the way.
Since then I've been afraid to try any more repeaters. Don't know what to talk about. Everyone on the repeaters seems to know each other so I feel like I'm intruding (even if the frequency is clear, they're likely about to come online).

chekoz77

Premium Subscriber
Yup. I am not really a talker so its been hard for me to get on and start chatting. I have made a few contacts that were awkward and a couple that went well because the guys on the other end were great talkers.

Something kinda odd about just hollering out to complete strangers. But I am sure after a while it gets more comfortable and some of the people stop being strangers.

Congrats on your license btw!

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
Only 2 miles away from the repeater and with 8 watts you should have been near full quieting into the repeater. It may be (because of your mic shyness) that you have a good signal into the repeater but you aren't speaking into the mic loud enough to fully modulate the transmitter making it hard for someone to make out what you are saying. It is also possible that there is something wrong with your antenna (or your radio). Have you checked your antenna SWR? or the power output of your radio? Don't be afraid to ask someone for help on the air. Everyone will be more than helpful trying to figure out the problem. Asking how your radio sounds is a good way to get people to talk to you.
BB

Cressida81

Might be the antenna. I've worked in public safety before so I'm very familiar with speaking into a radio mic.
I'll see if I can get some help from anyone in the local club to test my power and swr.

WB4CS

Cressida81, first of all, Congrats and welcome to the hobby!

As for your "bad" signal report, it's also possible that you were just in that ONE spot that was bad. It's possible that if you moved your antenna just a few inches in any direction, you might find that your signal might improve to the repeater. Think of it like this, as you're driving, you'll notice "picket-fencing" of the signal, where the signal strength goes up and down as you drive. If you happen to stop in one of those nulls where the signal is low, sometimes just inching forward a few inches will help.

Talking about Mic Fright... Yes, I used to suffer from that when I first got my license. I had no idea what to say! Now you can't get me to shut up, I am notorious for timing out a repeater, and all of my radios have a RTL (Release to Listen) button instead of a PTT (Push to talk) :)

The big thing is, just treat it like you would a conversation at a bar. You hear a few folks talking about something you're interested in, jump in and introduce yourself. Or, throw out your call when the repeater isn't in use and see who will come back to you. Simple things like what you do for work, the weather, cars, other radios, etc, can be good topic starters. Even though everyone might know everyone else, they all had to meet each other somehow. Just start talking to everyone and eventually you'll become a "regular" like they are. Remember common courtesy, don't interrupt a conversation unless you can contribute to it (don't change the subject!) and just treat it like any other casual conversation. Thankfully in ham radio, there's no procedure to follow, just start talking!

One final bit of advice... Ham radio is just like the real world, meaning, there's nice people and there's jerks. Some groups will be inviting and eager to meet someone new. Other groups are full of people that have known each other for decades and they're not too keen on letting someone new into their group. If you run into the jerks, don't sweat it. Just find someone else to talk to and don't let the old farts get you down. At the end of the day, it's just a hobby and should be enjoyed.

Good luck to you!

Wally46

Feed Provider
I feel the same way. I check into our net every Sunday night, but I don't talk much any other time. The group of guys here have known each other for many years and I feel like I would be bugging them.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Mag mounts are not the best. Even 8 watts is not much if buildings, power lines in the way. That is why a true mobile radio is best for mobile use. I know a lot of hams get tired of the poor signals from HTs with or without outside antennas. And we do not know the type of antenna used. Will mention that getting on nets does make your call known to those on the net. Going to club meetings is one of the best ways of getting known. Or volunteering for public service events. Just asking for radio checks may not get much response or saying monitoring may not get much response. Time of day also is a factor. Lot of people work so not many people available to talk with during the day. Just don't be afraid of getting on nets and observing how people interact.

k6cpo

Ham radio is not a hobby to be in if you're afraid of talking. That said, there are things a new ham can do to alleviate "mic fright." One thing is to find a club and start attending meetings. This way, you'll get to know people and it's likely the club has their own nets you can check into. I joined a club right after I was licensed and three and half years later, I'm just finishing my first term as Club President.

I don't know about elsewhere in the country, but the ARES (Amateur Radio Emergency Service) group in San Diego is conducting monthly "Gateway Training." This is basic training in the use of ham radios, mostly HTs, and covers repeater operation. Something like this is a good way to "break the ice" and meet people.

Another way to meet other hams is to become a Volunteer Examiner, but this requires you hold an Extra License.

Cressida81

I just picked a bad time to start. The local club is skipping this month and next month's meetings because they would fall on Thanksgiving and Christmas.
I'm a talker, but it takes me a bit too warm up to the room.

Thanks for the encouragement and it's good to know I'm not the only one who feels this way.

k3cfc

Silent Key
Location,Location,location I use a mag mount always have and always will because i will not drill a hole in my Town and Country. i use a little will with a longer whip trimmed and the swr are 1.3:1 and i have no problems with it. i have one place and one place only i can sit in my driveway and talk back to williamsport pa from snyder county to the 09 repeater. most other places forget it. on the other hand i can sit about anywhere and talk to 146.110 repeater in the lancaster area with no problem. so it just a matter of where you sit that you can talk.

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
Ham radio is not a hobby to be in if you're afraid of talking.

This is not true at all. There are many digital modes where you don't have to "talk" but can still have fun and communicate and make contacts with other people. Check them out OP!

cpfinlay

Feed Provider
Ham radio is not a hobby to be in if you're afraid of talking.

Not at all factual (as other have noted).

OP: I am far from "mic shy", but listen the majority of the time. I do like to chit chat about topics that interest me, but talking just to hear my voice does not interest me. Sometimes I do not feel like talking at all and will use digital modes such as PSK, RTTY, etc.

n5ims

I just picked a bad time to start. The local club is skipping this month and next month's meetings because they would fall on Thanksgiving and Christmas.
I'm a talker, but it takes me a bit too warm up to the room.

Thanks for the encouragement and it's good to know I'm not the only one who feels this way.

Do a simple Google search for DFW area ham radio clubs. There are several around the metroplex and you should be able to find a club that isn't too far away that has a meeting you can attend prior to January.

https://dcara.net/links.htm

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
I elmered(helped get the license) an old friend of mine. I was in doubt that he would ever pick up the microphone...and I have been proved correct. I think of his 100's of contacts, a total of 5 have been on voice. He has become an avid user of the digital modes. He tells me of his contacts, pulling them out of the waterfall and getting QSL cards. He is only three countries away from DXCC on digi!

It's a GREAT hobby and has a little something for everyone. He thinks I am nuts that I spend all my time and money on 6 meters, where I wait and wait for the band to open to work a new grid square....

wbswetnam

I know exactly how you feel! I remember when my tech license came in the mail, I went out into the yard with my handheld and just stood there with it in my hand for probably 20 minutes, unit on, no traffic. "What do I say?" I thought. "I don't want to say something stupid and get somebody mad at me for being a noob." I got over it though!
As some others observed, you may find that, once in while, you will run into some unfriendly folks especially on some HF bands (like 75m, most there are hams who have known each other since the last ice age and membership in their net is closed!). Just try a higher band. I like 60m - friendly folks, no nets and nobody with a 1500W amp to stomp all over you.

Last edited:

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
One of the great things about amateur radio is how many different facets there are to the hobby.

If you're mic shy, give one of the digital modes a try. You might feel more comfortable behind a keyboard.

I actually own 3 repeaters but I'm seldom on any of them. The local club uses one for their weekly net and I've never checked in. I'm not sure if they have meetings but as you can tell, I've never been to one either. I'm not even sure if many people in the club know who owns the repeater that they use.

I'm hoping to get back into HF at some point and I'll probably stick to CW.

KG4NEL

Some hams go decades and are still horrible conversationalists. Tune to 75 meters sometime :p

Another way to meet other hams is to become a Volunteer Examiner, but this requires you hold an Extra License.

Not to pick a nit, but you can be a VE for both ARRL and W5YI with a General class - you'd just be limited to signing off on Technician CSCEs.

wbswetnam

Some hams go decades and are still horrible conversationalists. Tune to 75 meters sometime :p

Good luck in getting them to acknowledge you exist. Many (not all of course) 75m nets are not welcoming to hams whose call signs / names / voices they don't recognize. For example, you'd stand a better chance of joining the Skull and Bones Society of Yale University than joining in the chit-chat on my local state net.

Status
Not open for further replies.