Display fading. 50% loss in brightness

Status
Not open for further replies.

an39511

I own two BCD536HP scanners both running 24/7.
One is used for an online feed and the display light is turned off.
The other radio has had the screen at full brightness since it was purchased. I was doing some maintenance on my feed radio when I noticed how bright the display was compared to my other radio. The display has lost at least 50% of its intensity.

Are there others out there that can confirm this is a problem?

mrkelso

Have you tried pushing the volume knob in? maybe you hit it by accident?

mitbr

Were you able to view the screen brightness when they were both new?
Maybe they were never the same brightness.

mitbr

Both radios were purchased a month apart. At that time the display brightness looked identical.

Thanks for reporting this, I hope its not a new problem with these scanners.
Were both scanners in the same location sometimes heat can affect leds?

an39511

Thanks for reporting this, I hope its not a new problem with these scanners.
Were both scanners in the same location sometimes heat can affect leds?

Both scanners are in the same environment. One is used for feed the other is used for more targeted work such as searching, etc. Both radios are within 3 foot of each other.

k3cfc

Silent Key
What i found.

I own two BCD536HP scanners both running 24/7.
One is used for an online feed and the display light is turned off.
The other radio has had the screen at full brightness since it was purchased. I was doing some maintenance on my feed radio when I noticed how bright the display was compared to my other radio. The display has lost at least 50% of its intensity.

Are there others out there that can confirm this is a problem?

BCD536HP Mobile, Wifi, and More

TheBCD536HP is Uniden's new flagship mobile scanner...which incorporates two firsts. Like the BCD436HP, it is the first standard mobile scanner to include the ease of use of the HomePatrol-style database; simply enter your zip code and away you go. But, the BCD536HP adds to that WiFi connectivity, allowing you to listen to and control your scanner using your smartphone or tablet...from anywhere in your home, vehicle, or around the world.
4 Gigabyte microSD card holds the entire USA and Canada database of radio systems, plus leaves room for hundreds of hours of audio recording.
Programmable Alert LED lets you set a specific color to alert you when a channel becomes active.

Boatanchor

So, to be clear this is actually a problem with the white LED backlight/s dropping in intensity?
Not the LCD itself fading (which has been a problem in the past with other products).

It is possible that the little white SMD LED's are being over-driven in the high brightness setting and are gradually burning out. I'm not a fan of the blue/white color back lighting anyway, so if mine do burn out, I will be looking for a more pleasant color temperature LED replacement. (assuming the LED's are even accessible that is).

mrkelso

Now that i check my 536 mine is also at a lower intensity no where near as bite as it once was.

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
The white backlit LEDs on my 396XT still look great after 1 year! I only run them on medium intensity and "squelch".

kb8rvp

BCD536HP Display fading. 50% loss in brightness

So the issue is the brightness of the back light and not the contrast correct? Both can be adjusted. Have you made sure the contrast is set the same on both? I have had mine from the first week they came out and have had no issues so far but I will keep an eye on it. Glad I have the extended 3 year warranty after getting it back from repair for the headphone jack issue!

Mike

an39511

I just checked both radios and the contrast are each set to "8"
It is the LCD display getting dimmer and dimmer.

If anyone can remember a long time ago with the Radio Shack PRO-2006 display fading out, the BCD536HP seems to be on the same path only much faster. It is pretty bad for a radio that is only about 9 months old.

The only reason I think I am seeing a difference is because my feed radio's back light is normally off whereas my other scanner it is always on.

Last edited:

joeuser

The Wretched
Yeah, my 436 isn't as bright as it was. I have the light turned off & just use it when needed & I dont have a flash light around. This is the last Uniden product for me for awhile. I think, but hope its not the case, this company is going south & will ride out its good name until they burn all their bridges... So sad, but its unfortunately, all to common anymore...

garys

Premium Subscriber
I've noticed that the display on my 436 (bought new) is brighter than my 535 (bought used). I'd like to find another 536 to compare displays and see if there is a difference. I'd have to think that if there is a problem it is with the circuit that controls the brightness, not the LEDs themselves.

mitbr

LEDS are very sensitive to heat. If Uniden didn't allow for proper dissipation of heat running the LEDS on highest brightness could prematurely cause fading.
I will be running mine on low or off from now on.

Status
Not open for further replies.