Need a power supply for a TYT TH-9800

Status
Not open for further replies.

Overload

So im just getting into Ham Radio and I plan on buying a TH-9800 and I found every thing else to go with this radio (antenna and cables). But I can't find a power supply for it. It needs a 12-14 volt and 8-15 amp power supply. I was looking at 12v car battery maintainers but they don't have the amps and if they do they are expensive.

Fuses:
20 amp power cable
15 amp transceiver

Links: (if you have the time could you please check if my cable and antenna are compatible with this radio)
Radio=
Amazon.com : TYT Quad Band Transceiver 10M/6M/2M/70cm VHF/UHF TH-9800 Two Way and Amateur Radio : Car Electronics
Antenna Cable=
Amazon.com: Times Microwave LMR-400 PL259 Coax Ham or CB Radio Jumper Antenna Coaxial UHF VHF HF Coax Cable Jumper RF Transmission Line PL-259 Connectors - Made in USA - (LMR400 10 ft): Electronics
Antenna=
Amazon.com : HH-9900 Antenna for TH-9800 quad band Mobile Transceiver Radio : Car Electronics

*BTW this is my first post ever on here*

Thanks for any help here anyone can provide, it is much appreciated :)

ShawnInPaso

Premium Subscriber
Are you going to use your radio inside or mobile?

If you're going to use it mobile, you'll want a different cable and about twice as long (e.g. 20ft of RG58 or equivalent). The LMR400 is great, but 10ft won't allow you to put the antenna anywhere but really close to the radio.

If you look around you can find switching power supplies for $60 or so (e.g. Without Cigarette Lighter Adapter Pyramid PS12KX 10 Amp 13 8 Volt Power Supply | eBay).

Welcome to RR, tons of info here.

Overload

Are you going to use your radio inside or mobile?

If you're going to use it mobile, you'll want a different cable and about twice as long (e.g. 20ft of RG58 or equivalent). The LMR400 is great, but 10ft won't allow you to put the antenna anywhere but really close to the radio.

If you look around you can find switching power supplies for $60 or so (e.g. Without Cigarette Lighter Adapter Pyramid PS12KX 10 Amp 13 8 Volt Power Supply | eBay).

Welcome to RR, tons of info here.

Thanks for replying. I was looking for some after u sent this. Would this radio shack be good for this radio because it has 5 more amp for about the same price. Or would it be just about it better to buy the one that you sent.

RadioShack® 13.8VDC 15A Power Supply - Radioshack

K7MEM

So im just getting into Ham Radio and I plan on buying a TH-9800 and I found every thing else to go with this radio (antenna and cables). But I can't find a power supply for it. It needs a 12-14 volt and 8-15 amp power supply. I was looking at 12v car battery maintainers but they don't have the amps and if they do they are expensive.

Fuses:
20 amp power cable
15 amp transceiver

Links: (if you have the time could you please check if my cable and antenna are compatible with this radio)
Radio=
Amazon.com : TYT Quad Band Transceiver 10M/6M/2M/70cm VHF/UHF TH-9800 Two Way and Amateur Radio : Car Electronics
Antenna Cable=
Amazon.com: Times Microwave LMR-400 PL259 Coax Ham or CB Radio Jumper Antenna Coaxial UHF VHF HF Coax Cable Jumper RF Transmission Line PL-259 Connectors - Made in USA - (LMR400 10 ft): Electronics
Antenna=
Amazon.com : HH-9900 Antenna for TH-9800 quad band Mobile Transceiver Radio : Car Electronics

*BTW this is my first post ever on here*

Thanks for any help here anyone can provide, it is much appreciated :)

Well, welcome to RadioReference.com and to Amateur Radio.

The TH-9800 looks like a nice transceiver. In fact, everything you listed appears to be good for a mobile setup. But it sound like your intending to set up a base station. If that is the case, you might want to look for a different antenna.

The antenna you listed is nice, but it is intended for mobile operation and will require a mount. You could certainly use it for a base antenna, but you would need to provide a mount and some kind of counterpoise (ground plane). If you have that, it should work fine.

Since you are getting into Amateur Radio, you might want to familiarize yourself with the "ham fest". You can find ham fests in your area by doing a search at Search for ARRL Hamfests and Conventions. I see used power supplies in the 20 to 30 amp range going for $35/$40 regularly. And, there is always lots of antennas and connecting cables available. You could save yourself a lot of money, if your willing to put up with a few scratches. At the last ham fest that I went to, I found a "open frame" 12 volt/15 Amp power supply, new in box, for $10. And it works great for powering my 2 Meter rig. You can't always find good deals like that. You just need to look around.

Buying a new supply for that power rating can often cost you more than your transceiver.

A "switching" power supply has been suggested. However, these type of supplies can be a source of noise. There is not guarantee that they cause noise problems, but if they do, the noise can be difficult to suppress. But if you get it cheap enough, it's worth the effort.

As a start, I would limit myself to "linear" power supplies. They are less efficient, but generally do not cause noise issues. As usual, your mileage may vary.

Martin - K7MEM
www.k7mem.com

N4KVE

Any noise caused by a switching supply would only be heard on the HF bands. Higher freq's are not affected. While I use Samlex, Astron, & MFJ switching supplies, you just can't beat an Astron power supply, such as the RS-20A, or M. I purchased a used one a few months ago for $40,& it's been on since. Matter of fact, I have some RS-35M's that have been running 24/7 for 15 years. If the supply is going to sit in a corner out of sight, that's the one to get, but they are heavy. If you need a supply that's going to be on the move alot, then get a switcher as they weigh almost nothing.

K7MEM

Any noise caused by a switching supply would only be heard on the HF bands.

The noise from a switcher doesn't necessarily get in through the antenna terminals. A switcher can make noise in any rig, but it's not as common as it use to be. Manufacturers are paying a closer attention to noise suppression. All of the supplies you mentioned would probably be fine for use.

Status
Not open for further replies.