• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Opinion Needed VX924

Status
Not open for further replies.

squad1321

Soliciting opinions on the Vertex VX924 as a first-line, fireground radio (VHF High). Been a Motorola customer for 25 years and kicking the tires on some different brands. Any good/bad feedback is appreciated! (i.e. Tx/Rc issues, ruggedness, battery life, etc.) Thanks!!!

radio259

Excellent radio. 512 channels, great receive audio, submersible 3 feet thirty minutes, great battery life, not to many bells and whislers.

I used one public safety for 7 years. never broke down. did fall out of my radio pocket and get run over though.

radio259

Forgot, MDC1200 encode now available, encode decode with board, 2 tone encode decode, dtmf encode decode, and not too heavy of a radio.

rpvitale

Premium Subscriber
My department uses them (VX-924 VHF) with the optional UHF receive board to listen to PD as well. We also have quick connect speaker/mics from Pryme attached that are also waterproof.

ofdricky

Feed Provider
VX-924

I have had a VX924 with the MDC and UHF RX boards for about 3 years now. I have been happy with receive side of the radio. I have not been as happy with the transmit side of it, I think my 15 year old MT2000 has a little more transmit power.

Tech792

I've had about 100 of these in service for about 2 years for police use. IMO I'd take a Motorola any day of the week. We had less issues with our low end HT1250s.

1- TX audio stinks.....and is worse with the noise canceling speaker/mics
2- rubber antennas constantly breaking. I keep 8-10 in stock at all times
3- speaker/mics break a lot
4- About once per month, one goes dead and won't power up. I then send it in for warranty repair.

Not recommended for heavy duty police use. But for a small FD that don't run a lot of calls, it might be ok.

squad1321

I have had a VX924 with the MDC and UHF RX boards for about 3 years now. I have been happy with receive side of the radio. I have not been as happy with the transmit side of it, I think my 15 year old MT2000 has a little more transmit power.

Funny you say that because we are testing various portable side by side in all our topographic areas and our older HT1250 has been performing the best.

Thanks also, Tech792!

Status
Not open for further replies.