• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Tk-7180 Questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

WillB

I'm looking at getting a 7180 for my truck but before I do I have a couple questions.

I already have the programming software for it because I have a 2180. How do I go about cloning the 7180 to match the 2180? Also how do I power the radio so I can program it from my desktop computer? I can't imagine that I would have to take my computer out to my truck and set it up in my garage to program it. Finally (well for now) I am wanting to get the remote head kit for it. Is there anything in the programming that has to be changed or set for that to work properly or is it just plug and play?

com501

Power the radio from a 12v power supply just like you would in a vehicle. There is no difference in programming whether you use a remote head or not.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
The remote head (KRK-10) doesn't require any programming changes. It's invisible to the radio.

A small 12 volt supply to power the radio will work, or even a small 12v battery. Since you won't be transmitting with it, you don't need much in the way of current capacity. Also, unless you have an antenna or load attached, you don't want to transmit. A 1 or 2 amp 12 volt supply will work fine. Put a fuse inline with the positive lead and install a 2 or 3 amp fuse. That is plenty to power up the radio for programming, and the fuse will open if you accidentally transmit.

com501

Uh, what? The radio comes with A POWER CORD. Wire the power cord to your power supply. This is not consumer gear, this is professional radio equipment. Get some help.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
You'll either need to get a second power cable, or program it in your truck. If you are careful, you can use some wire with alligator clips to temporarily power up the radio. Just be careful that the power doesn't drop while programming your radio.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
As for "cloning" the 2180 programming to the 7180, just open the 2180 file in the KPG software. Click on "Model" on the top bar, then "Product Information". When that window opens, click on the "Model Name" drop down menu. Select the 7180. It'll "reset" a few things that are not compatible between the portable and mobile, but the channel info will all be there.

WillB

Thanks for answering my questions. What I ment by plugging in a power supply was I didn't know if there was a spot to plug in the power supply for say my pager charger. I see that I am going to have to get one and wire it in to the Kenwood power cable.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Thanks for answering my questions. What I ment by plugging in a power supply was I didn't know if there was a spot to plug in the power supply for say my pager charger. I see that I am going to have to get one and wire it in to the Kenwood power cable.

Right, to power the radio you need to use the power input connection. There is voltage available on the rear 25 pin connector, but it's limited in capacity, and I wouldn't recommend running any accessories off that.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
15 amp would be recommended for running just that radio. I think the "official" Kenwood power supply is somewhere around 12 amp for "intermittent" use for those radios.

No need to go with the official Kenwood power supply, although the case does hold the radio and the power supply together nicely.

Status
Not open for further replies.