DSD file sizes

Status
Not open for further replies.

moonbounce

I just happened to be looking at the different versions of DSD and was surprised at the different sizes of each version. So to make sure that I am looking at the real specs, I will post what I see as the total mega bytes for each version that I am showing on my computer. Please correct me if I am wrong, as it just doesn't look right to me.

I was wishing that there was a small DSD version that I could use on my laptop that right now doesn't or can't run DSD1.6 and DSD1.61 with SDR Sharp at the same time. So I got to doing some checking and found the following.

DSD1.6
639 MB

DSD1.51
215 MB

DSDplus
5.15 MB

WinDSD
10.3 MB

woodpecker

I just happened to be looking at the different versions of DSD and was surprised at the different sizes of each version. So to make sure that I am looking at the real specs, I will post what I see as the total mega bytes for each version that I am showing on my computer. Please correct me if I am wrong, as it just doesn't look right to me.

I was wishing that there was a small DSD version that I could use on my laptop that right now doesn't or can't run DSD1.6 and DSD1.61 with SDR Sharp at the same time. So I got to doing some checking and found the following.

DSD1.6
639 MB

DSD1.51
215 MB

DSDplus
5.15 MB

WinDSD
10.3 MB

You're numbers are wrong, dsd 1.5, 1.6 and 1.7 will be kB not MB, they also require the cygwin1.dll which is about 2.6MB depending on version.

DSD takes about 3MB of ram when running, DSD+ is packed, when unpacked and running it takes about 8.3MB of ram

It is most likely CPU speed causing you problems, these programs are all small.

racingfan360

>I was wishing that there was a small DSD version that I could use on my laptop
I really don't think the issue is DSD+ - it will be SDR Sharp that is hoovering up your laptop's power. If you moved to discim tapped scanner I'd bet you'd find your laptop works fine

moonbounce

DSD works fine with a discriminator tapped scanner on my laptop, what I would like to have is dsd and sdr sharp together. Also when I hover my cursor over the file for DSD the numbers above are the numbers that I get, I don't think they are in KB have to be MB.?

MB

DSDPlus

DSD works fine with a discriminator tapped scanner on my laptop, what I would like to have is dsd and sdr sharp together.
We will add a lite SDR program to the next DSD+ release. It will run 2 or 3 dongles at least on laptops or netbooks.

when I hover my cursor over the file for DSD the numbers above are the numbers that I get, I don't think they are in KB have to be MB.?
You are not looking at the correct files?

DSDPlus.exe is 133 kB

lame_enc.dll is 480 kB

No megabytes.

moonbounce

We will add a lite SDR program to the next DSD+ release. It will run 2 or 3 dongles at least on laptops or netbooks.

You are not looking at the correct files?

DSDPlus.exe is 133 kB

lame_enc.dll is 480 kB

No megabytes.

SDR lite, that is excellent new, can't wait, thank you.

MB

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
SDR# is a fun program to mess with, but it is indeed a resource hog. Pretty much brings my netbook to it's knees.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
SDR# is a fun program to mess with, but it is indeed a resource hog. Pretty much brings my netbook to it's knees.

Ironically I have the opposite problem. My 5-year-old desktop PC which was a 'powerhouse' of its time hates running anything along with SDR#, but my laptop will run all day long with it.

If DSD+ gets a small SDR input library, I'd love to try running it - or two or three instances of it - on an old eee 1000 netbook I have collecting dust. :)

Voyager

Ironically I have the opposite problem. My 5-year-old desktop PC which was a 'powerhouse' of its time hates running anything along with SDR#, but my laptop will run all day long with it.

If DSD+ gets a small SDR input library, I'd love to try running it - or two or three instances of it - on an old eee 1000 netbook I have collecting dust. :)

From what I've seen, many of the resource issues with respect to SDR# are used in the waterfall display. If you decrease the size and update rate, it will run on a much slower PC.

You can also restrict the bandwidth of the sweep.

moonbounce

From what I've seen, many of the resource issues with respect to SDR# are used in the waterfall display. If you decrease the size and update rate, it will run on a much slower PC.

You can also restrict the bandwidth of the sweep.

I can tell you that on my laptop it does not matter if I only run the spectrum analyzer,I still have problems. The laptop can run either any version of DSD or any version of SDR but it doesn't like them both running at the same time with VB Cable.

MB

Status
Not open for further replies.