Future Uniden Charging

Status
Not open for further replies.

JASII

Memory Capacity
Will all new Unidens from this point forward have USB power and charging or will it just be portables? Even though base/mobiles don't have a rechargeable battery pack, USB power might be handy.

Voyager

Will all new Unidens from this point forward have USB power and charging or will it just be portables? Even though base/mobiles don't have a rechargeable battery pack, USB power might be handy.

I suspect the larger power amp of a mobile would be too much for USB specs. I think they will likely stay with 12V since that's in just about every vehicle.

Voyager

It would be nice to have a jack to charge and one to run radio with, doing one or the other SUCKS

David Kb7uns

Simple solution. Don't use the scanner as a battery charger. Buy a battery charger. Solves your issue and results in a better, safer charge.

dkf435

Simple solution. Don't use the scanner as a battery charger. Buy a battery charger. Solves your issue and results in a better, safer charge.

Simple mind your own business, I will use the charger inside the radio during the day between stops the MAHA is for use at the end of the day.

David Kb7uns

Voyager

Simple mind your own business, I will use the charger inside the radio during the day between stops the MAHA is for use at the end of the day.

David Kb7uns

If you don't want input, don't post complaints and deal with what you have. :p

dkf435

The radios need to be able to maintain charge and they do not now. Do not like it then turn off the charge system and quit telling people how they have to operate according to your standards.

David Kb7uns

abbadabbado

charge with outside charger

he will learn the hard way that continously charging with built in charger will eventually tear up the radio. experence is a good teacher by the way take a zanax

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
We should just be grateful that Uniden decided to keep the AA design over going with a sealed system like cell phones and ipods. Allows for multiple sets of batteries to be kept in a charged state and swapped out as necessary, or for use with just one set. While I do not agree with charging AAs in the radio, I understand the OPs need. Any additional components equal additional costs, and I, for one, don't want to see price go up for something I won't use. My recommendation is additional sets of batteries-Energizer used to make a 15 minute charger that had both AC and DC power cables-allowed me to ensure all of my AAs were ready to go (I replace all of my AAs annually-about 45 total for scanners, flashes and backup camera power)

dkf435

he will learn the hard way that continously charging with built in charger will eventually tear up the radio. experence is a good teacher by the way take a zanax

25 years no problem, not doing continuous charging peaking during the day and I have had NiCads that lived over 10 years and getting 7-8 out of NiMH

David Kb7uns

dkf435

We should just be grateful that Uniden decided to keep the AA design over going with a sealed system like cell phones and ipods. Allows for multiple sets of batteries to be kept in a charged state and swapped out as necessary, or for use with just one set. While I do not agree with charging AAs in the radio, I understand the OPs need. Any additional components equal additional costs, and I, for one, don't want to see price go up for something I won't use. My recommendation is additional sets of batteries-Energizer used to make a 15 minute charger that had both AC and DC power cables-allowed me to ensure all of my AAs were ready to go (I replace all of my AAs annually-about 45 total for scanners, flashes and backup camera power)

Have one of the Energizer 15 minute chargers and they hammer the hell out of the batteries, will not use it anymore, what is wrong with a 100ma maintaining charge.

David Kb7uns

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
Have one of the Energizer 15 minute chargers and they hammer the hell out of the batteries, will not use it anymore, what is wrong with a 100ma maintaining charge.

David Kb7uns

Haven't had a problem with any of mine. Noting is wrong with a slow charger if it fits your needs. The OP seems to be having a need for several sets of charged batteries during the day, and the in-radio charger is not meeting their needs. If he needs three to four sets a day, a slow charger isn't going to do it.

My needs are a full set of charged batteries in the following: BCD-396XT (3), PSR-500(4), WS-1080(4), Home Patrol-1(4) and 2 camera flashes(8). I have double that amount in batteries (46 total) so that there are always backups. It's just not practical to have slow chargers for that volume of batteries in a mobile setting where the potential to be in the car 12-20 hours exists. The worst case scenario I ever put them through was a zero degree night with a wind chill of -35 in Detroit where I shot 8 different active fire scenes, and it required three sets of batteries in everything I was using at the time (BCD-996T, 2 camera flashes with 22 batteries total)-I never would have been able to keep up with a slow charger. I know that the rapid charger shortens the battery life, which is why I replace them annually.

mancow

Database Admin
I don't take the battery of my Motorola ht to charge it, no reason I should have to do the same with a scanner.

Voyager

You also charge it with a dedicated charger that costs around $100, not one built into the radio. In addition, there are electronics inside Motorola batteries (at least the newer ones). You're also talking about a $100+ battery pack and not a set of cells that cost a few bucks each.

I agree a drop-in quick charger would be nice for scanners.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
I don't take the battery of my Motorola ht to charge it, no reason I should have to do the same with a scanner.

DFK435's issue is that the radio is unable to keep up with his needs on the internal charger. If your /\/\ portable wasn't keeping it's charge throughout your intended work cycle, would you not be swapping out with an additional battery that was on the charger without the portable attached? That in mind, I currently get 2-3 8 hour shifts off of my relatively new Motorola batteries, but there is always one on the charger ready to go-my portable never goes into the charger. Not because it isn't designed to, but because if something goes wrong, I still have a radio.

dkf435

DFK435's issue is that the radio is unable to keep up with his needs on the internal charger. If your /\/\ portable wasn't keeping it's charge throughout your intended work cycle, would you not be swapping out with an additional battery that was on the charger without the portable attached? That in mind, I currently get 2-3 8 hour shifts off of my relatively new Motorola batteries, but there is always one on the charger ready to go-my portable never goes into the charger. Not because it isn't designed to, but because if something goes wrong, I still have a radio.

My problem is not the internal charger being too slow, it is not being their period while radio is operating and powered by external supply or must be turned off to even charge!

I have plenty of chargers MAHA C808M C800S 3 C900 and La Crosse BC700

David Kb7uns

Status
Not open for further replies.