Caught Bug again, Selection feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.

osros

Feed Provider
Hey all,

Been off and on Scanning and SWL for a long time now. Been off for a while lacking a place to setup a proper Antenna. I now have access to put up a Ant and have a shack close but outside of the house, So I'm back in the game.

My question is between the HP2 and 536. I read good thinks about both and wanted to get feedback on which to get first as a base setup?. I already have a number of devices but they are aging and like to have at least one unit up to spec with current tech and features to handle it all.

I'm already set on the 436 as a carry later on but the base setup is my main concern now.

Any advice appreciated, Pros and Cons. I realize this may have been asked a hundred times already but not finding much on a comparison of the two yet. If there are any links to share that would be great.

Also if location is helpful I am in north Texas.

Thanks

mitbr

This is what I got when I asked the exact Q a week or so ago.

Both units are similar and have their fans depending on personal preferences.

The 2 units appear to part ways when it comes to congested signals.

Biggest issue I have heard is that if you live in a congested area, the 536 wins out because for some STUPID reason, UNIDEN did not include the NFM filter on the HP1/HP2 models. The filter must be the answer to the congested impact.

Why the HP2 design goes "backward" in this regard has yet to be answered given its price point.

Apparently the 436/536 have the NFM filters.

Other than that I can't get any better advice across this entire forum.

UPMAN will NOT respond to me as to why the NFM filter is not on the HP2.

#dealbreaker for most
I can vouch for this. I have the HP1 and the 536hp the HP1 will not scan P25 in my car but the 536hp scans the same P25 systems perfectly. while driving in the car.
This is why I have the 436hp on order in hopes that it will perform similarly to the 536hp in the car.........
Tim

osros

Feed Provider
Thanks guys,

Been reading more posts here and there catching up to current tech is a PITA and Interesting at the same time. I just discovered the RF Explorer ( oh baby ) added to the wish list. Back to radios...

I am leaning toward the 536, I never had issues with previous models like this for my needs. The HP2 is a lot different than I'm used to. Its not off the table but maybe not as my new get back on the horse radio.

Its a good chance Santa is bringing me a 436 and it wont even be out of my own pocket for a change :)
So I'm free to increase the gear and get a Base unit soon after so maybe the 536 next. HP2 will have to be on hold or much later I would not mind a HP2 as a additional base radio.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
I can't speak for the Home Patrol 2, but from what I've read in the manual compared to what my 536 can do, I think the 536 wins out. Once the other features are finally added to the 536, it's going to be a hell of a radio.

osros

Feed Provider
Question I just saw on the Uniden website the 536 with Wifi? Is this something new or the current 536 owners have this already. Looking at some buy sites and not seeing the Wifi thing.

N8IAA

Question I just saw on the Uniden website the 536 with Wifi? Is this something new or the current 536 owners have this already. Looking at some buy sites and not seeing the Wifi thing.

Really sore point for those that were promised the Wifi back in March. It's nonexistent as of this date. Plenty of posts about it.
Larry

osros

Feed Provider
Really sore point for those that were promised the Wifi back in March. It's nonexistent as of this date. Plenty of posts about it.
Larry

Yeah thanks did find a write up on the unit and explained the wifi issue, that's a shame so are current owners owed the wifi option or will it have to be another purchase when ready? Or maybe a wait and see.

stingray327

Thanks guys,

Been reading more posts here and there catching up to current tech is a PITA and Interesting at the same time. I just discovered the RF Explorer ( oh baby ) added to the wish list. Back to radios...

I am leaning toward the 536, I never had issues with previous models like this for my needs. The HP2 is a lot different than I'm used to. Its not off the table but maybe not as my new get back on the horse radio.

Its a good chance Santa is bringing me a 436 and it wont even be out of my own pocket for a change :)
So I'm free to increase the gear and get a Base unit soon after so maybe the 536 next. HP2 will have to be on hold or much later I would not mind a HP2 as a additional base radio.

Does Whistler have any scanner that is comparable to the 536 or HP2 as a base unit?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Does Whistler have any scanner that is comparable to the 536 or HP2 as a base unit?
The WS1080 is very roughly comparable to the HP-2, in that both are scanners with the database built in, and both do Phase II. But the WS1080 is really a portable format, and the HP-2 is more of a desktop unit, though mobile mounts are available. The upcoming WS1095, Whistler's Phase II capable base/mobile with the detachable faceplate, would be more comparable, though there are a number of features in the 536 (as well as the 436) that neither of these Whistler units have. Keyboard for direct entry, GPS capability, Fire Tone Out are among them, but may not matter to many users.

stingray327

The WS1080 is very roughly comparable to the HP-2, in that both are scanners with the database built in, and both do Phase II. But the WS1080 is really a portable format, and the HP-2 is more of a desktop unit, though mobile mounts are available. The upcoming WS1095, Whistler's Phase II capable base/mobile with the detachable faceplate, would be more comparable, though there are a number of features in the 536 (as well as the 436) that neither of these Whistler units have. Keyboard for direct entry, GPS capability, Fire Tone Out are among them, but may not matter to many users.

As a base the GPS feature wouldn't make a difference with the 536. But why does the WS-1095 have a removable face plate? Is this feature primarily for the car. I am more interested in finding a base station. Maybe for the car a HP-2 with that color screen depending how they are.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
As a base the GPS feature wouldn't make a difference with the 536. But why does the WS-1095 have a removable face plate? Is this feature primarily for the car. I am more interested in finding a base station. Maybe for the car a HP-2 with that color screen depending how they are.
The removable faceplate might be more useful in a mobile installation. However, I suspect some may elect to also use that feature in a base application. Perhaps not enough 'real estate' (space) for another radio on their rack, shelf, or whatever is being used, but maybe tuck the unit out of site, and mount the faceplate front and center for easier access.

osros

Feed Provider
The more I read posts the more I get back on the fence on 436 or a HP2. with the HP2 lacking features and some complaints on being deaf sometimes and the 436 also having sensitivity issues and being deaf at Air and VHF I dont know what to think. Does the 536 suffer from the same issues? I guess it would be better since it would have an external ant. Its just a shame to hear of such issues on $500-$600 radios.

stingray327

The removable faceplate might be more useful in a mobile installation. However, I suspect some may elect to also use that feature in a base application. Perhaps not enough 'real estate' (space) for another radio on their rack, shelf, or whatever is being used, but maybe tuck the unit out of site, and mount the faceplate front and center for easier access.

Will the WS-1095 make for a great base station or would the 536 still be better? I don't need that removable face plate.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
and the 436 also having sensitivity issues and being deaf at Air and VHF I dont know what to think. Does the 536 suffer from the same issues? I guess it would be better since it would have an external ant. Its just a shame to hear of such issues on $500-$600 radios.

Not all 436HPs are deaf in the VHF band. Mine works as well as any other radio I've compared it to.

Beaquel

I know many people don't have money to burn, but let's just say for the sake of the argument that you can afford any of the three (436, 536, HP-2). My advice is to just buy one and see how it goes. You can always sell it to somebody else for a modest loss of equity and then get the one you think might work better. I knew there were minor differences between the three and I ended up going with the HP-2. So far, I'm really happy with it. If I didn't like it, I would have sold it on Craigslist and bought a 436.

stingray327

I know many people don't have money to burn, but let's just say for the sake of the argument that you can afford any of the three (436, 536, HP-2). My advice is to just buy one and see how it goes. You can always sell it to somebody else for a modest loss of equity and then get the one you think might work better. I knew there were minor differences between the three and I ended up going with the HP-2. So far, I'm really happy with it. If I didn't like it, I would have sold it on Craigslist and bought a 436.

Already got a 436 so for the car a HP-2 and base a 536?

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
You are aware of uniden screwing over customers on the x86 scanners, right? No doubt they work better than previous models. But to advertise a feature and not only doesn't come with it, but after a year still no sign of the advertised feature. If your willing to spend the money on any uniden product, don't come whining about something wrong with your uniden product. I would have harsher words but got a warning from the admins so will stop while i am still capable of posting.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
x86??

Let's keep this on topic. We've already got plenty of threads discussing the problems with the new x36 scanners in the Tavern. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.